No Oppo Supporters Umpiring in the grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking about this today again. The history books are just going to say Western Bulldogs, rightly or wrongly, and that irks me. Not because I dislike WB, I have nothing against them and think they're a team that are exciting and young.

I still feel like it's complete and utter crap. Maybe it wouldn't burn so much if I didn't pay money to actually be there. I could have accepted a defeat fair and square (see: 2014) but being at that game felt incredibly rigged, and like I could see what was happening before it did. I was livid in Q1, Q2, but by Q3 I actually left my seats and spent at least 15 minutes just sitting on one of the stairs at the ground with headphones in - it just felt very predictable. I don't really know if we would have won if we had fair umpiring, and I don't think we played our best that day, but the influence from the umpires was simply too great for me to ignore it, and that's what I took issue with.

I have already posted before that my interest in the game diminished greatly after that horrendous trade ban but moreso after the ASADA/WADA embarrassment because it showed just how much the AFL is a business - that they could rule 'not guilty' to drug use for the image of the sport. GF day just felt like the icing on the cake.

I stand by my statement the AFL aren't getting a direct cent out of me again. I'll pay for my Swans membership every year (especially if we sign up Heeney) and always attend games when I can but I don't know, it feels different now.

Was thinking about this today again. The history books are just going to say Western Bulldogs, rightly or wrongly, and that irks me. Not because I dislike WB, I have nothing against them and think they're a team that are exciting and young.

I still feel like it's complete and utter crap. Maybe it wouldn't burn so much if I didn't pay money to actually be there. I could have accepted a defeat fair and square (see: 2014) but being at that game felt incredibly rigged, and like I could see what was happening before it did. I was livid in Q1, Q2, but by Q3 I actually left my seats and spent at least 15 minutes just sitting on one of the stairs at the ground with headphones in - it just felt very predictable. I don't really know if we would have won if we had fair umpiring, and I don't think we played our best that day, but the influence from the umpires was simply too great for me to ignore it, and that's what I took issue with.

I have already posted before that my interest in the game diminished greatly after that horrendous trade ban but moreso after the ASADA/WADA embarrassment because it showed just how much the AFL is a business - that they could rule 'not guilty' to drug use for the image of the sport. GF day just felt like the icing on the cake.

I stand by my statement the AFL aren't getting a direct cent out of me again. I'll pay for my Swans membership every year (especially if we sign up Heeney) and always attend games when I can but I don't know, it feels different now.

Yep it was a crappy feeling being there and considering the game was so close and feeling like we had no chance was so frustrating. And that feeling was due to the umpiring not the players. (At the risk of sounding like a broken record) I genuinely felt like "how can we win with this umpiring". And like you it makes it worse because as fans we pay so much to be there and then we get to witness some of the worst one sided umpiring that I have seen anyway.

Then to top it off the umpiring just gets swept under the carpet in the media and it is all about how great the Bulldogs are - spare me. Imagine if the dogs copped that umpiring or a team like Collingwood (although that would never happen) we wouldn't hear the end of it. As fans we invest so much and all I expect is a fair game. 2014 was different and I'm pretty sure I was over it by now - I don't know if I will get over this GF any time soon.

Last edited:
I just hope we as a club learn & grow.

I want to see us come out this year like we should of in 2015. Angry. Pissed the f**k off. Make teams know they have played us. Make teams scared to face us. When we've got a club on the canvas I want us to put our foot on their throat & crush them. No mercy. Play as hard as we ever have. If they are going to penalise us at least make the free kicks worth it. Go in hard & hurt the pricks. F**k them & f**k the AFL.

Can you imagine the fear we'd create if Horse said to guys like Jones, Buddy, JPK etc. "I don't care if you give away a free or get reported. Hurt that prick.".....

Of course, I'd want our boys playing legit & fair. I don't want them to play dirty. But I do want to see them feared. I want to see them not give a s**t & happy to lay someone out if they are in the way. I've had enough. The GF was it. No more niceness or PC crap. F**k them. Let's harden up & become ruthless.

Yep it was a crappy feeling being there and considering the game was so close and feeling like we had no chance was so frustrating. And that feeling was due to the umpiring not the players. (At the risk of sounding like a broken record) I genuinely felt like "how can we win with this umpiring". And like you it makes it worse because as fans we pay so much to be there and then we get to witness some of the worst one sided umpiring that I have seen anyway.

Then to top it off the umpiring just gets swept under the carpet in the media and it is all about how great the Bulldogs are - spare me. Imagine if the dogs copped that umpiring or a team like Collingwood (although that would never happen) we wouldn't hear the end of it. As fans we invest so much and all I expect is a fair game. 2014 was different and I'm pretty sure I was over it my now - I don't know if I will get over this GF any time soon.
It wasn't sept under the carpet at all, I listen to SEN and there was more than enough discussion about the one's that went against us. Maybe it got lost in all the Footscray love. Also it's not their fault that we got shafted, they belongs firmly with 3 yellow cheats.

I just hope we as a club learn & grow.

I want to see us come out this year like we should of in 2015. Angry. Pissed the f**k off. Make teams know they have played us. Make teams scared to face us. When we've got a club on the canvas I want us to put our foot on their throat & crush them. No mercy. Play as hard as we ever have. If they are going to penalise us at least make the free kicks worth it. Go in hard & hurt the pricks. F**k them & f**k the AFL.

Can you imagine the fear we'd create if Horse said to guys like Jones, Buddy, JPK etc. "I don't care if you give away a free or get reported. Hurt that prick.".....

Of course, I'd want our boys playing legit & fair. I don't want them to play dirty. But I do want to see them feared. I want to see them not give a s**t & happy to lay someone out if they are in the way. I've had enough. The GF was it. No more niceness or PC crap. F**k them. Let's harden up & become ruthless.

The thing that makes it worse for me (the irrational, peed off side of me) is the GF has now got me feeling like I almost want the team to play dirty, push the boundaries because I feel it's hopeless otherwise. And I hate that feeling. But I almost feel like it's a "can't beat them, join them" situation and that pisses me off.

The thing that makes it worse for me (the irrational, peed off side of me) is the GF has now got me feeling like I almost want the team to play dirty, push the boundaries because I feel it's hopeless otherwise. And I hate that feeling. But I almost feel like it's a "can't beat them, join them" situation and that pisses me off.
Yeah, I hear ya. But like that Mummy hit this year, there's legal ways of being hard at it.

Things that apparently aren't against the rules which we should adopt (that I f**kin hate)

1. Dropping at the knees then raise the arm drawing high contact.

2. Flicking (Throwing) the ball in a handballing action.

It wasn't sept under the carpet at all, I listen to SEN and there was more than enough discussion about the one's that went against us. Maybe it got lost in all the Footscray love. Also it's not their fault that we got shafted, they belongs firmly with 3 yellow cheats.

Hmm I just feel there would be a bigger uproar if certain other teams copped what we did. It wasn't just one or two decisions or incompetence that affected both teams it was blatantly one sided. Absolutely farcical and for that reason I don't think the umpiring got as much media attention as it deserved.

I'm thinking of cutting my membership to 3 games. Not sure about this as it hurts the club not just the AFL.

I won't be attending any finals because the money goes to the AFL (I attended 4 this year and feel ripped off).

I won't be subscribing to Fox Sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again dismissive of other people's opinion. :rolleyes:
There are a lot of people that are sick of the AFL/Vic bullshit that we keep copping, won't diminish fans support of the Swans but will definitely, and has, turned people off AFL.

I'm thinking of cutting my membership to 3 games. Not sure about this as it hurts the club not just the AFL.

I won't be attending any finals because the money goes to the AFL (I attended 4 this year and feel ripped off).

I won't be subscribing to Fox Sports.

For me, I'll still pay my 11 game membership... but probably won't be keeping up 11 games when I move. At that point I'll change it to a 3 game and let mates in Aus use it or an overseas supporter membership or something. I don't want to hurt the club financially - just boycott the league. I'm with you on the no-finals one though.

I agree with most of vonn's rant, but I'll continue to support the club financially and by going to games.
Can't help but feel though that once you add up the cost of flights, accommodation and tickets to the grand final, it's an expensive exercise.
Most of us would pay any amount of money to see our team play on the biggest stage of them all. 2005 and 2012 were both super special and I dearly hope that the fans who didn't get to experience those highs will have the opportunity to do so one day.
But I do feel more than a little violated after we copped umpiring like that. 2014 was different as that was all on us.
If we are fortunate enough to make another grand final in the near future, I may still go, but at the moment I'm not sure it's worth the money. That game deserved a level playing field, and we didn't get one. And that's not right.

Once again dismissive of other people's opinion. :rolleyes:

I believe he was being sarcastic because she said her interest in the game was diminishing. The sarcasm doesn't come across that well in text.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people that are sick of the AFL/Vic bullshit that we keep copping, won't diminish fans support of the Swans but will definitely, and has, turned people off AFL.

We should probably clarify what we mean when we say this will turn people off the AFL. By the AFL we really mean the league, not the game. When we talk about the league we really mean the body that runs the game. Fans will continue supporting the club regardless.

Can we stick to venting about the grand final in this thread please.

We should probably clarify what we mean when we say this will turn people off the AFL. By the AFL we really mean the league, not the game. When we talk about the league we really mean the body that runs the game. Fans will continue supporting the club regardless.

Yes there is that distinction, however, there is only so many times fans will cop getting f*cked over by the AFL.
You can see what is going to happen if GWS start winning flags...

I agree with most of vonn's rant, but I'll continue to support the club financially and by going to games.
Can't help but feel though that once you add up the cost of flights, accommodation and tickets to the grand final, it's an expensive exercise.
Most of us would pay any amount of money to see our team play on the biggest stage of them all. 2005 and 2012 were both super special and I dearly hope that the fans who didn't get to experience those highs will have the opportunity to do so one day.
But I do feel more than a little violated after we copped umpiring like that. 2014 was different as that was all on us.
If we are fortunate enough to make another grand final in the near future, I may still go, but at the moment I'm not sure it's worth the money. That game deserved a level playing field, and we didn't get one. And that's not right.

I believe he was being sarcastic because she said her interest in the game was diminishing. The sarcasm doesn't come across that well in text.

2014 was my first GF and despite the loss there was no question of me attending this year's but I was questioning whether I would attend another (if we were to make another) after what happened this year. But thinking about it if we made another GF and we won I would regret not going. So as along as we keep making them and as long as I am able to attend I think I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back