No Oppo Supporters Umpiring in the grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we're going to be having this debate until we win another flag... losing grand finals sucks no matter how you lose them. :(

I feel like we're going to be having this debate until we win another flag... losing grand finals sucks no matter how you lose them. :(
The club has lost 5 grand finals in a row, damn umpires

I thought you might bring up that stat lol, I would hope that trend doesn't continue. I honestly thought most of the team worked their butts off to try and win this one, but the truth is we still had about half a dozen players who didn't perform anywhere near the level required as you alluded to in your earlier post (which was spot on btw). But maybe that's off topic as far as this thread goes, so I will practice what I preach and talk about that in the other thread. ;)

I personally dont care about the NEAFL losses, nor any reserves wins

Its just there to run players into form

Or for them to pile up possies and rot then eventually leave..

Or for them to pile up possies and rot then eventually leave..
Or for elite mid-sized forwards to play in before Kinnear Beatson decides they aren't worth drafting and they win 3 premierships with Hawthorn

Factoring NEAFL GF losses is bogus.

An hour before the game the Swans pulled Nankervis and Laidler out of the NEAFL GF in case they were needed for the seniors the following week and didn't want to risk injury. They played a NEAFL GF a few years ago against Brisbane with half a side of topups because they wanted to keep players fresh in case they were needed for seniors. I have no doubt Swans would have those 2 NEAFL flags in the cabinet if it wasn't for that. The Swans treat the NEAFL as a nursery for the seniors, as they should, and have no qualms about even sacrificing a premiership if it means the seniors may be disadvantaged in a worst case scenario, as unlikely as it may seem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have lost GF's in the past but this is the first one I can honestly say the umpires had a bearing. Maybe in the '30's & '40's I don't know I wasn't born. But the umpires had a big say in this one. The amount of times Footscray dropped the ball and weren't penalised and then got goals from the same play was astounding. but then again maybe it wasn't as I believe the AFL had one outcome in mind and only one. Footscray winning was popular with everybody except Swans supporters and the fiscal return to the AFL was astounding especially for next season. The AFL, Victrorian state government and Sport Victoria have a huge investment in Footscray, masquerading as Western Bulldogs, of about $12 million in the form of a sporting and entertainment complex. In other words a pokies venue.

To have Footscray get to the grand final was a very difficult proposition but when they made it, helped along by the umpires against GWS, the AFL just had to get them over the line. Anything else would have killed the mystique and fairy tale. There were too many frees given to the lads from Whitten Oval and too many just overlooked for it to just be umpire error. Mind you every umpire in the GF were either Victorian or from Tassie. It would have been difficult for Jeffery, the Tasmanian, as the senior umpire was Meredith, a Victorian. Have you wondered why there are no umpires from NSW on the umpiring panel? Because when the AFL created the NEAFL the majority of umpires now come from it's umpiring panel. That makes it difficult for NSw umpires to actually get onto the panel as most umpires on that panel, 75%, are Victorians. Even WA & SA have only a few. Umpires should be from all over Australia not a majority from Victoria. an umpire should not be able to umpire a match that has his boyhood team competing; Nichols/Footscray.

We have lost GF's in the past but this is the first one I can honestly say the umpires had a bearing. Maybe in the '30's & '40's I don't know I wasn't born. But the umpires had a big say in this one. The amount of times Footscray dropped the ball and weren't penalised and then got goals from the same play was astounding. but then again maybe it wasn't as I believe the AFL had one outcome in mind and only one. Footscray winning was popular with everybody except Swans supporters and the fiscal return to the AFL was astounding especially for next season. The AFL, Victrorian state government and Sport Victoria have a huge investment in Footscray, masquerading as Western Bulldogs, of about $12 million in the form of a sporting and entertainment complex. In other words a pokies venue.

To have Footscray get to the grand final was a very difficult proposition but when they made it, helped along by the umpires against GWS, the AFL just had to get them over the line. Anything else would have killed the mystique and fairy tale. There were too many frees given to the lads from Whitten Oval and too many just overlooked for it to just be umpire error. Mind you every umpire in the GF were either Victorian or from Tassie. It would have been difficult for Jeffery, the Tasmanian, as the senior umpire was Meredith, a Victorian. Have you wondered why there are no umpires from NSW on the umpiring panel? Because when the AFL created the NEAFL the majority of umpires now come from it's umpiring panel. That makes it difficult for NSw umpires to actually get onto the panel as most umpires on that panel, 75%, are Victorians. Even WA & SA have only a few. Umpires should be from all over Australia not a majority from Victoria. an umpire should not be able to umpire a match that has his boyhood team competing; Nichols/Footscray.

Yeah but we're invited guests to the VFL. I'm still convinced that an superleague style war would have created a truly national competition

I'm still convinced that an superleague style war would have created a truly national competition

They aren't the VFL anymore (don't want to upset bedford), but I think that is the dream we will have to let die as I can't see control of the game ever leaving Victoria as that is the game's heartland for better or worse.

Last edited:
This is becoming pathetic, nothing to do with state or administration. More about incompetent umpiring and some s**t performances like one of our captains. Sick of the same s**t.

I respectfully disagree.

It's a bias that's built into the system...

We should seriously consider setting up a NSW Umpiring Academy.
I'm sure QBE would help fund it & that way we can develop some umpires from a young age that understand our game plan.
We get first dibs on them with a 20% discount should another team bid on them.

At least this way we can compete with the Hawks & Dogs who have had umpires train with them in the pre season.

http://aflua.com.au/stevic-wins-three-in-a-row/
Proof that Stevic was a true Hawk with his own Threepeat.

Everyone: debate the topic, not the poster. If you disagree with a post, you are welcome to do so, but putting down others for having a different opinion is not necessary.

Having said that, if you find yourself taking offence at posts by others who think differently to you, I dare say that this place may not be for you. It is a forum.

ASs well as us being s**t at times , I believe 1 umpire had stage fright and got caught up with the Footscray emotion, so no wonder Jeffrey hadn't ever umpired a GF and it was not the AFL's fault we lost. It was done at selection and on the day by some of ours and 1 ump. If you want to blame the AFL, head to the Cola or Trade ban's threads. Because that's where rats like Fitzpatrick did us over.

ASs well as us being s**t at times , I believe 1 umpire had stage fright and got caught up with the Footscray emotion, so no wonder Jeffrey hadn't ever umpired a GF and it was not the AFL's fault we lost. It was done at selection and on the day by some of ours and 1 ump. If you want to blame the AFL, head to the Cola or Trade ban's threads. Because that's where rats like Fitzpatrick did us over.

I think where it becomes a bit Vic-centric is in the reaction. If the free kick thing had been the other way, and the AFL had acknowledged that the umpiring was "below par" the way they have, then the Victorian media would have been all over it and there would have been a Royal Commission. It's about the narrative, and that's what forces a response from the AFL. And you could bet your bottom dollar that the shrug in tackles or the "Libba throw" would be policed far more closely next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back