No Oppo Supporters Umpiring in the grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe that was stage fright, it went on for hours and generally most people settle into things. It is naive to think that corruption won't creep into a game that is now worth 10x what it was a few years ago. It's nice to see the best in people but sometimes it is appropriate to call bull dust
ASs well as us being s**t at times , I believe 1 umpire had stage fright and got caught up with the Footscray emotion, so no wonder Jeffrey hadn't ever umpired a GF and it was not the AFL's fault we lost. It was done at selection and on the day by some of ours and 1 ump. If you want to blame the AFL, head to the Cola or Trade ban's threads. Because that's where rats like Fitzpatrick did us over.

Fully believe it's time for us to move on,
Firstly - seize the day, we didn't, had we thought at the start of the year we'd be in the GF we'd would've all been wrapped considering the depth,talent & experience we lost, but once we got there, this was an opportunity to seize the day and redeem for 2014, we didn't,
The umpiring definitely played a big part in us losing, however no less than playing under prepared players, there is no doubt, players went in injured (yes I know happens each year) however we had several boarder line players up until the last few days, Tippo, Macca & Mills, there's only so much you can carry into any game let alone a final and more so a GF,
only Alir had the courage to put his hand up and say he's not right,
Leaders didn't lead, and that includes those who aren't our captains (JPK & 1 or 2 others aside) - some players came up very small in a big game and not for the first time - there is a reality around that.
However as much as this still hurts and burns, our future is more than bright, we will be up and around at the top end NY & beyond, time to look forward
As for the Vic bias - to say the AFL isn't Vic centric is naive - 1 interstate club has won a flag in 10yrs, the only club to receive a trade ban for not breaking any laws, its quite obvious in his own statements MFPatrick holds an emotional vendetta against the Swans that a truly professional leader would be able to process sensibly and remove his own emotion when making decisions, something he is clearly not capable of, the reason he is not qualified for his position.
They had a equalisation committee made up of only Vic clubs a cpl of years back, there's a few more examples of such
YEP - the umpiring was beyond shite, and Bullies took full advantage, but also credit to them, went interstate twice in finals and won, they're a bloody good team.
YEP - We played underprepared players & some who didn't perform and not for the 1st time.

Time to move on Bloods fans, even though the sting is still there, 2017 & beyond holds much excite

Firstly - seize the day, we didn't, had we thought at the start of the year we'd be in the GF we'd would've all been wrapped considering the depth,talent & experience we lost, but once we got there, this was an opportunity to seize the day and redeem for 2014, we didn't,
The umpiring definitely played a big part in us losing, however no less than playing under prepared players, there is no doubt, players went in injured (yes I know happens each year) however we had several boarder line players up until the last few days, Tippo, Macca & Mills, there's only so much you can carry into any game let alone a final and more so a GF,
Leaders didn't lead, and that includes those who aren't our captains (JPK & 1 or 2 others aside) - some players came up very small in a big game and not for the first time - there is a reality around that.
However as much as this still hurts and burns, our future is more than bright, we will be up and around at the top end NY & beyond, time to look forward
As for the Vic bias - to say the AFL isn't Vic centric is naive - 1 interstate club has won a flag in 10yrs, the only club to receive a trade ban for not breaking any laws, its quite obvious in his own statements MFPatrick holds an emotional vendetta against the Swans that a truly professional leader would be able to process sensibly and remove his own emotion when making decisions, something he is clearly not capable of, the reason he is not qualified for his position.
They had a equalisation committee made up of only Vic clubs a cpl of years back, there's a few more examples of such
YEP - the umpiring was beyond shite, and Bullies took full advantage, but also credit to them, went interstate twice in finals and won, they're a bloody good team.
YEP - We played underprepared players & some who didn't perform and not for the 1st time.

Time to move on Bloods fans, even though the sting is still there, 2017 & beyond holds much excite

No. I'm not moving on. My brother in law is a Dog and I have to see him at Christmas. I'm training my 5yo to "handball like a Bulldog" and then to "handball like a Blood".

Then I'll move on.

No. I'm not moving on. My brother in law is a Dog and I have to see him at Christmas. I'm training my 5yo to "handball like a Bulldog" and then to "handball like a Blood".

Then I'll move on.
I live next door to whiten oval - see them training everyday - all I can see though is tunnel ball practice - manure

I can live with the fact that we lost. The Dogs made the most of their opportunities, good luck to them.

But the umpires had too much influence on the game for me to simply forgive and forget. If we'd lost by a point in a fairly umpired game I would've been shattered but I would have copped it. Yes the loss was on us, but when Clay Smith got that free for diving in the third that's when I knew we had no hope. Dogs are a good team and they should have been given the opportunity to win a flag on their own.

In an incompetently umpired contest on the law of averages bad decisions should pretty much even out over the course of the game or some bad decisions will go the way of both teams. In a biased umpired game poor decisions tend to go one way. In the GF bad decisions went one way hence the imbalanced free kick count. They were biased. The fix was in. If we were a vastly superior team to Footscray the fix probably wouldn't have mattered. However, we were fairly evenly matched with them. It was decisive. Fitzpatrick got what he wanted for the marketing of the AFL in Victoria and what in his incompetently deluded mind imagines to be the western Sydney strategy. And we got shafted.

There is more at work here than a Victorian bias. Fitzpatrick and the cabal around him have nailed their colours to a market expansion strategy AND a market consolidation strategy. Yes that's right it is incoherent. The role of the market expansion strategy in the finals was the ANZ decision and the outrageous delay in dealing with the drug cheat Whitfield. Both decisions favoured GWS against us. This is not mere footy code administration that Fitzpatrick is involved in but an attempt to manipulate results in the interests of a corporate strategy. And a strategy that is incoherent and bound to fail. This is a sports web site so I won't go off topic but if people are interested in Fitzpatrick's recent corporate history they can refer to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL is pursuing a market expansion strategy that favours GWS at our expense, then it isn't working. Our membership numbers are up around 40% from this time last year based on the latest figures (26,976 v 19,159). The Giants' membership numbers are up too, but only by 33% compared to the same time last year (8,038 from their website v 6,001 this time last year from the Giants board).

Whether you put the grand final umpiring down to conscious or unconscious bias, incompetence or outright corruption, the club is likely to remain strong. I know this was a difficult loss to take given the heartache this club has endured throughout its history, but thanks to the hard work of a few, we are in a better position now than we have ever been to survive such setbacks.

Probably the most frustrating part is that the club was forced to move north for the good of the competition, yet clubs like the Bulldogs who still live off AFL handouts get lauded as heroes when we were the sacrificial lambs in the Sydney experiment. The double standard is hard to take at times (and I include the bullshit about COLA and the academies in this), but life goes on.

If the AFL is pursuing a market expansion strategy that favours GWS at our expense, then it isn't working. Our membership numbers are up around 40% from this time last year based on the latest figures (26,976 v 19,159). The Giants' membership numbers are up too, but only by 33% compared to the same time last year (8,038 from their website v 6,001 this time last year from the Giants board).

Whether you put the grand final umpiring down to conscious or unconscious bias, incompetence or outright corruption, the club is likely to remain strong. I know this was a difficult loss to take given the heartache this club has endured throughout its history, but thanks to the hard work of a few, we are in a better position now than we have ever been to survive such setbacks.

Probably the most frustrating part is that the club was forced to move north for the good of the competition, yet clubs like the Bulldogs who still live off AFL handouts get lauded as heroes when we were the sacrificial lambs in the Sydney experiment. The double standard is hard to take at times (and I include the bullshit about COLA and the academies in this), but life goes on.
Need a hug?

We have been kicking against the wind since 1982. The club they couldn't root, shoot or boot out of the comp. That's what makes us

Apparently subconscious bias is not unique to AFL. An MIT study recently came out analysing over 39k ref calls in College football ovet 3 years.

The result?

The study found refs weighted their calls in favour of teams more likely to make money for their employers.

Ouch.

It all comes down to discretionary calls. Refs were found to be 10% less likely to throw a discretionary flag against what the study called "protected flagships" which are defined as - amongst a whole heap of variables - as basically being teams with an historical winning culture and large revenue streams.

Ohio state which regularly pumps out championships and has one of the largest followings in the college system for example reveived a weighting of 14% less discretionary calls.

Essentially if you are a traditional powerhouse you get the rub of the green over the calls most likely to be "not called" whilst non-flagship teams cop those calls far more regularly.

Protected flagships?

Refs working for a non-independent body being compromised on integrity issues?

Money the driver?

Make of this what you will.

All i know is the dogs are the worst side to win a flag in my lifetime by a mile

Umpires well done
How many posts can you do on this. So glad pre season has started. No one can take away that we were sharfted and if so of our players put in we still might have won. Bring on 17 and Go Bloods , prove everyone wrong and deny the Western scum they're 1st flag.

How many posts can you do on this. So glad pre season has started. No one can take away that we were sharfted and if so of our players put in we still might have won. Bring on 17 and Go Bloods , prove everyone wrong and deny the Western scum they're 1st flag.
Yep!
We are guns at refreshing our list while at the same time remaining competitive.
Can you believe we are going into season 2017 with one of the youngest & least experienced lists after playing off for a flag but falling short.
I am still adament we weren't supposed to get close to a GF with such inexperience in 2016 but it still hurts non the less that we lost.

You have posted in here more than most

Dont go into threads you dont care about? I havent even looked at the welcome to the club new rookie i havent heard of threads

I take your point, but ill post in here as often as i want until its closed, which in all honesty is not much, have barely been in here

You have posted in here more than most

Dont go into threads you dont care about? I havent even looked at the welcome to the club new rookie i havent heard of threads

I take your point, but ill post in here as often as i want until its closed, which in all honesty is not much, have barely been in here
You keep bumping it, now go for a jog.

Apparently subconscious bias is not unique to AFL. An MIT study recently came out analysing over 39k ref calls in College football ovet 3 years.

The result?

The study found refs weighted their calls in favour of teams more likely to make money for their employers.

Ouch.

It all comes down to discretionary calls. Refs were found to be 10% less likely to throw a discretionary flag against what the study called "protected flagships" which are defined as - amongst a whole heap of variables - as basically being teams with an historical winning culture and large revenue streams.

Ohio state which regularly pumps out championships and has one of the largest followings in the college system for example reveived a weighting of 14% less discretionary calls.

Essentially if you are a traditional powerhouse you get the rub of the green over the calls most likely to be "not called" whilst non-flagship teams cop those calls far more regularly.

Protected flagships?

Refs working for a non-independent body being compromised on integrity issues?

Money the driver?

Make of this what you will.

Can't blame the umps/refs. When the directives come down they've got to keep their own jobs safe first.

I know some people don't like this thread being bumped but this post I found on the Umpiring board that was just too good to ignore!

May as well have a proper look at the 2016 season comparison for the Grand Finalists.

Free Kicks Season 2016

Rnd.........West Bulldogs
................Sydney

Rnd 1....Won 19-14 (v Frem)......Lost 18-23( v Coll)
Rnd 2....Won 18-14 ( v StK)........Even 23-23(v Carl)
Rnd 3....Won 25-21 (v Haw)........Won 30-19(v GWS)
Rnd 4....Won 30-13 (v Carl)........Lost 21-23 (v Adel)
Rnd 5....Won 24-12 (v Bris)........Even 19-19 (v WCE)
Rnd 6....Won 23-14 (v Nth).........Lost 19-23 (v Bris)
Rnd 7....Won 28-12 (v Adel)........Won 21-18 (v Ess)
Rnd 8....Won 16-12 (v Melb)........Lost 26-28 (v Rich)
Rnd 9....Won 21-14 (v GWS)........Lost 12-15 (v Haw)
Rnd 10...Won 17-15 (v Coll).........Even 20-20 (v Nh)
Rnd 11...Even 17-17 (v WCE).......Won 19-14 (v GC)
Rnd 12...Lost 23-10 (v Port)........Lost 15-22 (v GWS)
Rnd 13...Won 21-20 (v Geel)........Lost 21-22 (v Melb)
Rnd 14...Bye
Rnd 15...Won 17-16 (v Syd).........Lost 16-17 (v WB)
Rnd 16...Won 23-15 (v Rich)........Lost 23-24 (v Geel)
Rnd 17...Won 23-15 (v GC)..........Lost 9-15 (v Haw)
Rnd 18...Won 25-24 (v StK).........Lost 16-21 (v Carl)
Rnd 19...Even 22-22 (v Geel)........Lost 13-18 (v Freo)
Rnd 20...Lost 18-19 (v Nth).........Won 23-13 (v Port)
Rnd 21...Lost 17-21 (v Coll).........Lost 17-19 (v StK)
Rnd 22...Won 19-15 (v Ess).........Lost 9-21 (v Nth)
Rnd 23...Lost 18-22 (v Freo)........Lost 18-20 (v Rich)

Finals

Week 1...Won 17-13 (v WCE).......Lost 17-19 (v GWS)
Week 2...Won 19-14 (v Haw).......Lost 12-19 (v Adel)
Week 3...Won 23-13 (v GWS).......Lost 22-24 (v Geel)
Wk4 GF...Won 20-8 (v Syd)..........Lost 8-20 (v WB)

Free Kick Win/Loss Season 2016
WB.... Played 26...
Won 20 Lost 4 Drawn 2
Syd....Played 26...
Won 4 Lost 19 Drawn 3

I hate to be critical of my own mob, but i need to be.

Blind Freddy's Obvious Conclusions:

1. Nothing to see here in terms of the Doggies.
2. Just an aberration that obviously evened itself out over the course of a full season.
3. Sydney was usually second to the ball, fumbled or threw everything they touched, and likely used politically incorrect sledging.
4. Sydney do not know how to dive properly nor effectively.
5. Sydney do not time their attack on the ball to coincide with the umpires full attention.
6. Sydney was a team of clumsy low skilled accident prone oafs who somehow stumbled their way into finals.
7. Sydney won games by playing their best footy against umpires, rather than against other footballers.
8. Sydney prefer to gift the opposition an advantage from the start, so that all wins are sweeter.
9. When turning up for the game, Sydney players should not park in spots marked "Umpires".
10. Sydney need to put all the umps onto this years Xmas Card List to have any hope in 2017.

The data obviously does not support any conclusions about the Doggies relationship with the umpiring fraternity.
One can only marvel at their amazing discipline, adherance to the rulebook, and the incredible football they produced against all the odds.

Bollox nailed it. Sydney need a bonding session with the umpires before next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back