Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires annual Dinner was held this time last week with Dr. Allen Aylett as guest speaker.

The awards went as follows:

Golden Whistle - Kit Harvey
Most Improved Field - Sam Levin
Most Improved Boundary - Hugh Bennett
Most Improved Goal - Anthony Damen
Young Achiever - Elliot Fabris
Best First Year - Asha Hinton
Andy Carrick Award - Paul Jones
Bob Dunstan Award - Darren Dalgleish

Can't believe Clayton Evans isn't between the sticks for the big one. So far ahead of the next best goal umpire it's put down your glasses. All for promoting the youngster btw.

There is a strong rumour that, having recovered from a year in the WRFL and surgeons removing chunks of legs, a certain independent assessor of scoring may be beginning 2014 preseason soon.

Someone has to keep the shortarse Evans honest... :)

There is a strong rumour that, having recovered from a year in the WRFL and surgeons removing chunks of legs, a certain independent assessor of scoring may be beginning 2014 preseason soon.

Someone has to keep the shortarse Evans honest... :)
Wouldn't be getting ahead of himself would he?:D

Plenty of ex-VAFAUA members now involved at AFL and VFL levels.

On the AFL panel now: Bannister, Donlon, Fisher, Meredith, O'Gorman (new), Jenkinson, Cusack (new) and Saunders.

VFL panel: Heffernan, Lawlor, O'Shea and Dervan (all new), Barry, Brown, Wallace, Scully, Doyle, Kyrkou and Piperno.

VFL Development: Hartwig, Nicholson, Pryor and Blanch.

Plenty of ex-VAFAUA members now involved at AFL and VFL levels.

On the AFL panel now: Bannister, Donlon, Fisher, Meredith, O'Gorman (new), Jenkinson, Cusack (new) and Saunders.

VFL panel: Heffernan, Lawlor, O'Shea and Dervan (all new), Barry, Brown, Wallace, Scully, Doyle, Kyrkou and Piperno.

VFL Development: Hartwig, Nicholson, Pryor and Blanch.
Has Piperno made it onto the AFL list yet Pazza? Thought he was the cream of the crop when he moved to the development squad but it's taken him sometime to make an appearance at the highest level.

Credit to the VAFA to have so many in the VFL/ AFL system.

Has Piperno made it onto the AFL list yet Pazza? Thought he was the cream of the crop when he moved to the development squad but it's taken him sometime to make an appearance at the highest level.

Credit to the VAFA to have so many in the VFL/ AFL system.

Been up there fighting like mad with regular VFL/TAC Grand Final appearances.

The independent scoring assessor had a run today at a practice match, very happy that his 2011 uniform still fits and while rusty, slotted straight back into position as if he'd never left. However a distinct lack of fitness may hamper his ability to return to the top flight, and he'll probably content himself with the odd guest appearance as a club waver of the calicos when work and No1 Son's soccer commitments permit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a lack of boundary umpires again this year... Plenty of goal umpires though, and they all seem to be young... Surely you'd rather be running around than standing behind the goals all day?

There seems to be a lack of boundary umpires again this year... Plenty of goal umpires though, and they all seem to be young... Surely you'd rather be running around than standing behind the goals all day?

The umpires nowadays are looking for the best and easiest path to making the AFL. Time trials and expectations to make the afl for a goal umpire are much more reachable then field and god forbid boundary umpires.

The umpires nowadays are looking for the best and easiest path to making the AFL. Time trials and expectations to make the afl for a goal umpire are much more reachable then field and god forbid boundary umpires.
How long before the A.F.L. introduce Four boundary umpires per match?

How long before the A.F.L. introduce Four boundary umpires per match?
Ummmm.....
Ummmm....... Indeed.:) Last weeks appointments.

ezplzb.jpg

Take 2
How long before the V.A.F.A introduce four boundary umpires per match
Pazza would be the best person to take a stab at that one mate.

They have in the past used more than two on occasions in H & A games in the Premier divisions I think. I guess numbers could be an issue for it to be of a more permanent nature. Not to mention the additional costs. Got merit as an idea though.:thumbsu:

Pazza would be the best person to take a stab at that one mate.

They have in the past used more than two on occasions in H & A games in the Premier divisions I think. I guess numbers could be an issue for it to be of a more permanent nature. Not to mention the additional costs. Got merit as an idea though.:thumbsu:
Small percentage of any A.F.L. exec. unclaimed bonus payments would cover cost ! Are the V.A.F.A.U.A lobby Into the A.F.L. U.A. ?
(note to self-check all acronym"s then post}

I would think the AFL have had 4 boundary umpires per game since 2011 off memory. Some umpires would even have to back a match up if injuries were an issue back then. More numbers on the list means they can take weeks off or even rotation policy now.

The issue with the vafa running 4 boundarys is numbers. Not enough people want to umpire it seems. Fantastic oportunity for past player IMO. I for one will look into it next season.

Having had to run boundary countless times for senior matches.... It sucks, especially when you're not being paid for it. So it's like a gift from god when you see a couple of boundary umps come out of the change rooms :)

Is there a way to make boundary umpiring more exciting? I suggest letting them blow the whistle for down field/back play infringements that the field umpires miss. Why not?

Having had to run boundary countless times for senior matches.... It sucks, especially when you're not being paid for it. So it's like a gift from god when you see a couple of boundary umps come out of the change rooms :)

Is there a way to make boundary umpiring more exciting? I suggest letting them blow the whistle for down field/back play infringements that the field umpires miss. Why not?
Easy fixed.I"m in for half the distance same pay any day(forget the extra whistle blowing idea) we have the funds allocation covered and all we need now is the numbers-said to the dulcet tones of James Earl Jones voice in the background "Build it and they will come"
So long as player fees and clubs don"t cop the expense !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back