MRP / Trib. Umpiring, MRO, Tribunal, Rule Changes - 50m penalties for raising arms?

Remove this Banner Ad

its clear (to me at least) there are two divergent paths here...

the fans/players/commentators on one - your 99%

the AFL and by extension its umpires on the other.

i'm not stupid enough to think that the 99% should always get their way because they are louder, and clearly the AFL should always have the games best interests at heart, even if it stings a little for us. But does there come a point when the 2 paths diverge too far, to a chasm we cant bridge? Surely the AFL should understand when their rules don't pass the pub test or the sniff test, there are issues. ...and that damages the game - which is against their charter.

The game isn't the AFL, the game is equal parts the people, the players, the clubs, the commentators - everyone plays a part. If the majority of the relationship is unhappy for any reason its a problem.

We need to find the middle ground fairly quickly id have thought.

Score review hub thing is supposed to be some sort of technology hub with all the different cameras etc.

Should include (paraphrasing):
  • MRO so they can decide on most reports within a few hours
  • Score reviews (obviously) apparently they'll cut the number of reviewers from 15 to 4 or 5. At least they've acknowledge that there were issues with it this year.
  • Umpire coaching ✔✔✔ - Although this is only useful if they actually improve.
  • Medical processes, which isn't really explained except that some sort of independent person will watch incidents from "a controlled environment" and relay information to club doctors. Seems like double handling to me, and the phrase "controlled environment" seems to imply that the biased environment of the interchange bench is going to compromise the integrity of the doctor's medical opinion or something...
  • "Game integrity purposes" - someone explain that one to me. Are they gonna watch the security people and make sure they're not preventing fans from barracking?

Same article says they're reviewing the umpiring, looking at some changes for a couple of years from now, with boundary umpires making more decisions.

I'm not sure how having more opinions on the field is going to improve the umpiring but at least they're acknowledging that there's a problem.

• The AFL being pleased with its rule changes this year, despite a drop in scoring. Hocking said the closeness of contests – 76 per cent of game time the margin between sides is under two goals – has created an even competition.
  • Praise for the amount of "moments" in this year's season – more eye-catching marks, goals and exciting finishes compared to 2018 – and a confidence that the scoring will lift before the season ends.
  • Fan feedback showing the AFL that supporters are pleased with the game's changes this season, including the 6-6-6 rule that has created starting positions.
  • A review into the umpiring has commenced, with the possibility of boundary umpires being instilled as decision-makers being canvassed. Hocking ruled out that coming into the game within the next two years, however.

They also think the sun shines out of their arses, but that's not new news.

Score review hub thing is supposed to be some sort of technology hub with all the different cameras etc.

Should include (paraphrasing):
  • MRO so they can decide on most reports within a few hours
  • Score reviews (obviously) apparently they'll cut the number of reviewers from 15 to 4 or 5. At least they've acknowledge that there were issues with it this year.
  • Umpire coaching ✔✔✔ - Although this is only useful if they actually improve.
  • Medical processes, which isn't really explained except that some sort of independent person will watch incidents from "a controlled environment" and relay information to club doctors. Seems like double handling to me, and the phrase "controlled environment" seems to imply that the biased environment of the interchange bench is going to compromise the integrity of the doctor's medical opinion or something...
  • "Game integrity purposes" - someone explain that one to me. Are they gonna watch the security people and make sure they're not preventing fans from barracking?

Same article says they're reviewing the umpiring, looking at some changes for a couple of years from now, with boundary umpires making more decisions.

I'm not sure how having more opinions on the field is going to improve the umpiring but at least they're acknowledging that there's a problem.

They also think the sun shines out of their arses, but that's not new news.

They say they like ‘moments’ but want to start cutting out tackling. Would have thought some of the great chase down tackles are great moments.

Tackling certainly makes our game more exciting and improves fan engagement at games

Coach Damien Hardwick vigorously defended Lynch's physicality this week and said he wouldn't be advising caution to the key forward.

"I haven't seen it and at the end of the day, Tom plays. He plays like that. He's a hard, tough player and you saw the courage of him coming out and leading out to that ball late and the collision with [Adam] Saad. [He's a] pretty tough guy," the two-time premiership coach said post-game.

"I've been around footy a long time and I've been very fortunate enough to be at some really good organisations.

"All the good ones run the line all the time. They generally give away the most free kicks and they generally have the most reports, that's why they're a good side."

Lynch kicked two goals against Essendon in the Tigers' hard-fought win in the centerpiece of the AFL's Sir Doug Nicholls Round.
Worsfold was also strong on the impact of a free kick given away from Jake Stringer that cost Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti a goal in the second term. The goal would have put the Bombers 11 points ahead.

The outgoing Bombers coach said it came at a crucial time.

"[It had a] massive impact. At that point that was potentially going to give us a two-goal lead and maybe a three-goal lead, I'm not really sure. It was obviously something pretty drastic to overturn a kick like that," Worsfold said.

"Unfortunately that's the way the umpires called it and we have to cop that but it was a pretty critical part of the game."

Couple of clips, a bit easier to see than stills:

Like I'm sick of it. We don't call them out and they continue to screw us. What's the point of doing it if nothing changes?

Richmond did not take their opportunities and deserved to win, make no mistakes. It was not my intention to undermine their win FWIW

We seem to have been unlucky at key times which have cost us this year. The flopping/ staging is a blight on the game. I was wondering if it was just me that is noticing this? Normally things even out but it does feel like we might be owed a few...

Like I'm sick of it. We don't call them out and they continue to screw us. What's the point of doing it if nothing changes?
It's not just the umpires imo, it's also the way that the AFL treats umpires with kid gloves. They don't earn any respect by pretending they have no professional standards to uphold.

They should be reviewing decisions after the game and saying yes this was the right interpretation, no that one wasn't. It will help the public discourse to have the public, including media personalities, actually knowing what a correct decision looks like. Hell, put an umpire type as a special comments during a game so they can provide live feedback on what is and isn't correct. Or have someone on AFL payroll reporting from the score review hub. Something... pls

And they should absolutely fine players for staging. I think that was a good call from Jordan Lewis on Fox last night. Heck, fine the clubs as well.

AFL continues to sweep this stuff under the rug which is so infuriating.

Grimes has been getting death threats which is obviously horrible and idiotic.

But of course, the focus will now be on the death threats rather than the dive, just like with Ward.

It's not just the umpires imo, it's also the way that the AFL treats umpires with kid gloves. They don't earn any respect by pretending they have no professional standards to uphold.

They should be reviewing decisions after the game and saying yes this was the right interpretation, no that one wasn't. It will help the public discourse to have the public, including media personalities, actually knowing what a correct decision looks like. Hell, put an umpire type as a special comments during a game so they can provide live feedback on what is and isn't correct. Or have someone on AFL payroll reporting from the score review hub. Something... pls

And they should absolutely fine players for staging. I think that was a good call from Jordan Lewis on Fox last night. Heck, fine the clubs as well.
There should be suspensions, not just fines which are a drop in the ocean for top paid players. Needs to be wiped out of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be suspensions, not just fines which are a drop in the ocean for top paid players. Needs to be wiped out of the game.
I don't remember the exact figure but I think Lewis at one point was suggesting a 20k? fine 🤣 that might be a bit too steep, but if it's hefty enough the flopping will disappear almost overnight. Better yet if like I said the club also gets fined, that way you can be sure they're not coaching them to put themselves into dangerous positions or

iu-5.gif

The Grimes free is just so comedic. What possessed him to even try diving with no contact?
Richmond have been doing it since forever.

There was a classic shot from years ago of Jack going for a mark, falling over then looking over at the umpire while gesturing for a push in the back

Yep. His arm was up over his shoulder. There was no mention in the commentary either.
And we got (correctly) punished 3 minutes earlier for the exact same thing

The one that actually has me side-eyeing the AFL is the time-keeping mistakes in the GC and GWS games.

They didn't address that at all even though it did technically cost Essendon the win (vs Gold Coast) because the Gold Coast player should never have actually ended up kicking the goal just before 3 quarter time. The siren should have gone a little after Cutler's miss.

That's the one we should have publicly called the AFL out for because there is no interpretation to hide behind.

I just couldn't see it properly, but was Lynch's first goal on Ridley a push in the back? I didn't think there was much in it at the time, but I don't think many would argue if Ridley received the free.
I could forgive that one as it was hard to see whether it was body work or a hand in the back. Looked like Ridley was outmuscled.

I could forgive that one as it was hard to see whether it was body work or a hand in the back. Looked like Ridley was outmuscled.
I have no problem with that as well. But that leads me to the Stringer-Grimes incident...
It's the same scenario as the Townsend-Shaw high and Ward-McKernan high.

I don't think any of those 4 incidents should have been a free kick, but we need some consistency here. Are they applying the rules as per the law or are they more relaxed with their interpretation? The Townsend high would have been a certain goal. Not paid. Ward paid the free kick. Goal. Game ends up being less than a goal the difference.

Lynch no free kick. Goal. Stringer free kick means our goal is overturned and they get the goal. Margin is 12 points.

Unfortunately, journalists and commentators don't ask the AFL the difficult questions. I think Tom Morris is the only one that had the courage to call out the AFL on the time-keeping issue. Obviously no response by the AFL.

I wish we would challenge the AFL by explaining why Townsend didn't receive the free instead of solely focusing on Ward.
Or why Redman didn't receive the high contact instead of paying the HTB to Rioli for a crucial shot on goal.
Or why Lynch was considered using his strength whereas Stringer was judged as pushing him in the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back