MRP / Trib. Umpiring, MRO, Tribunal, Rule Changes - 50m penalties for raising arms?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers/Giants, Claremont FC
Just checked the umps for the game - first two, Schmitt and Parnell, all good and competent.

Then I read the third name. Nathan flowering Williamson. A West Aussie umpire who was a major force in rigging the 2016 WAFL grannie so that (Freo reserve side) Peel would beat Subi (19 free kicks to 6) (and I'm unbias as a Claremont supporter), in addition to being generally incompetent and bias

I give my 100% guarantee that we'll get heavily ump-****ed on Sunday

Just checked the umps for the game - first two, Schmitt and Parnell, all good and competent.

Then I read the third name. Nathan flowering Williamson. A West Aussie umpire who was a major force in rigging the 2016 WAFL grannie so that (Freo reserve side) Peel would beat Subi (19 free kicks to 6) (and I'm unbias as a Claremont supporter), in addition to being generally incompetent and bias

I give my 100% guarantee that we'll get heavily ump-****ed on Sunday
What are you smoking? Schmidt and Pannell are only behind Matthew Nicholls as the most biased umpires against Essendon in the AFL. They're ******* horrible.

The Essendon/Sydney game at Etihad in 2014, was one of the worst umpired games I've ever seen, and he was at the forefront of that.

Highlighted by the difference in head-high contact between the Hurley non-free kick and the McVeigh free kick whilst apparently applying the exact same rules.

Disgusting.

Cant stand ******* Subiaco why is our team so afraid to play there? What makes it worst is we have to deal with the home crowds biased umpiring.
You'll be pleased to know that the umpiring bias for Essendon and Fremantle at home is exactly the same on average, so save your whinging.

Attachments

• expandedteammodelgraph[1].png
    expandedteammodelgraph[1].png
    111.7 KB · Views: 264

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll be pleased to know that the umpiring bias for Essendon and Fremantle at home is exactly the same on average, so save your whinging.
Home ground bias is only good if your actually playing at home, and since we haven't played Freo at home for ya know about 10years, equal home ground freekick bias with Freo does not help us one bit.

Cant stand ******* Subiaco why is our team so afraid to play there? What makes it worst is we have to deal with the home crowds biased umpiring.
Because free kicks usually favour the home teams in Perth 2-3 to 1.

You would think Wooshas and Harvey's insights into the ground would have the players primed to play it well.

Will be p#ssed if Lachie Neale gets 40 possessions against us again. He stars every time we play them.

Doubt the umpires will have much of an influence over the result but every side has memory of getting a horror run at subiaco. I remember in 2015 against it was like there was two sets of rules for each side.

Hmmm, I d love to see your stats on that. AFL stats have us being pretty well shafted by the umps whenever we play over there. 106 v 67 over the past 4 years.

Last 4 years (Frees for):
2016 Freo 42 - Ess 34
2015 Freo 20 - Ess 8
2014 Freo 18 - Ess 6
2013 Freo 26 - Ess 19

Hmmm, I d love to see your stats on that. AFL stats have us being pretty well shafted by the umps whenever we play over there. 106 v 67 over the past 4 years.

2016 Freo 42 - Ess 34
2015 Freo 20 - Ess 8
2014 Freo 18 - Ess 6
2013 Freo 26 - Ess 19
Where they receive the free kicks is of relevance here. From my recollection, lots of the Freo free kicks resulted in kicks for goal.

2016 Freo 42 - Ess 34
2015 Freo 20 - Ess 8
2014 Freo 18 - Ess 6
2013 Freo 26 - Ess 19

Geez, I've managed to block out most of last years games, but... 76 frees in a game??

Umpiring needs more digitisation for accuracy, such as a hawkeye system that determines whether high contact is made or not made. I'd be fine for it to be incremental and subject to ongoing refinement, even at the expense of errors in the short run to get it right. We can't have subconsciously (or consciously) biased umpires for certain teams and/or home ground advantages anymore as we have the ability as a community to produce technology to overcome it.

Umpiring needs more digitisation for accuracy, such as a hawkeye system that determines whether high contact is made or not made. I'd be fine for it to be incremental and subject to ongoing refinement, even at the expense of errors in the short run to get it right. We can't have subconsciously (or consciously) biased umpires for certain teams and/or home ground advantages anymore as we have the ability as a community to produce technology to overcome it.
Problem is for a fast paced game you can't have 2 minute stoppages for every 30 seconds of game play while you activate a computer system. They've already made a point of reducing normal stoppages in game play with the deliberate OOB rule. They would need to work on when they're used and what they have to do to overturn a decision. Perhaps more like the decision reviews in cricket, where you can only have two bad reviews in a game to weed out the clangers?

High contact should be reportable regardless of impact anyway. No free kick, nothing. Just report it, with fines galore and suspensions for repeat offenders. Same as with striking and whatever else. If it's genuinely accidental and a first time offender then the tribunal can show leniency. Meh.

Problem is for a fast paced game you can't have 2 minute stoppages for every 30 seconds of game play while you activate a computer system. They've already made a point of reducing normal stoppages in game play with the deliberate OOB rule. They would need to work on when they're used and what they have to do to overturn a decision. Perhaps more like the decision reviews in cricket, where you can only have two bad reviews in a game to weed out the clangers?

High contact should be reportable regardless of impact anyway. No free kick, nothing. Just report it, with fines galore and suspensions for repeat offenders. Same as with striking and whatever else. If it's genuinely accidental and a first time offender then the tribunal can show leniency. Meh.

Definitely that all needs to be considered and worked through, but my intended point is that it should be started and started somewhere with continuous refinement. For example, I'd love stats on which defenders hold the most or which players who do defensive efforts are pushing their opponents in the back when they kick the ball to affect the kick. These things could then be targeted with a set tolerance level.

Definitely that all needs to be considered and worked through, but my intended point is that it should be started and started somewhere with continuous refinement. For example, I'd love stats on which defenders hold the most or which players who do defensive efforts are pushing their opponents in the back when they kick the ball to affect the kick. These things could then be targeted with a set tolerance level.
That'd be interesting to see, for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back