MRP / Trib. Umpiring, MRO, Tribunal, Rule Changes - 50m penalties for raising arms?

Remove this Banner Ad

No rule changes for 2022 but interpretations are being tightened up.
No ducking;
The stricter holding the ball interpretation includes a focus on players ducking into tackles, with clubs warned that "a player who ducks their head prior to being legally tackled" will be penalised more stringently by umpires.
Evade/fend/duck = prior opportunity;
Umpire cues for what constitutes 'prior opportunity' have also been updated, with the AFL indicating it will instruct officials to look for players who evade, fend, duck or neglect a prior option to dispose of the ball.
Incorrect disposal now has cleared parameters – you can only throw it if you’re off balance;
They will also penalise players who don’t legally dispose of the football if they’re "balanced and steady" when tackled, if they have previously been awarded a mark or free kick, or if they drive their head into a legal tackle.
Delaying tactics to be penalised with free kicks or 50m penalties;
Players will no longer be given a warning before being penalised for delaying the play, with umpires now under the instruction to immediately punish "any conduct which delays or impedes the play".

No rule changes for 2022 but interpretations are being tightened up.
No ducking;

Evade/fend/duck = prior opportunity;

Incorrect disposal now has cleared parameters – you can only throw it if you’re off balance;

Delaying tactics to be penalised with free kicks or 50m penalties;

Wait, so throwing the ball if off balance is considered correct disposal?

Wow.

Wow.
I don't read that the same as Lore. I take it to mean the "knocked out" "made a genuine attempt" farces only apply in situations where you haven't been balanced.

A quick game's a good game I suppose. It just sounds like they want the ball moving quickly.

At least they've finally acknowledged ducking for what it is, but that's probably driven just as much by their want to reduce concussions, not that those happen as much from ducking as they do other means.

Wow.
I think what it means is if you have no prior opportunity and the ball is knocked/spills out in the process of you being tackled off balance/to the ground.

Whereas if you are tackled and maintain your balance and just drop the ball out, it's illegal disposal

very apt that the Age article regarding the change in interpretation to holding the ball used a gif of Tippa laying a perfect tackle and going unrewarded, felt like that happened at least once a game to him last season.

I like the rule changes in theory hopefully it'll be implemented corrently.

Cody Weightman won't be able to touch the ball this season! :mad::mad::mad:

The Joel Selwood arm lift to force high is still ok it seems?

Odds for Smith to be the 1st player pinged for time wasting?
I look forward to a game being decided on an umpire decision that a player is time-wasting with a minute to go and the opponent being awarded a free kick just outside of their 50m line...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't read that the same as Lore. I take it to mean the "knocked out" "made a genuine attempt" farces only apply in situations where you haven't been balanced.

I'm keen to see how it's taught.
It feels like this is just another tick box for an umpire to try and work through and complicate a call.

Surely it starts getting to a little bit of paralysis for umps where they have too many things to try and judge on?

I look forward to a game being decided on an umpire decision that a player is time-wasting with a minute to go and the opponent being awarded a free kick just outside of their 50m line...

I'm sure there will be a player sneaky enough to hold his opponent on top of him and pretend he can't get up and an umpire falling for it.

I actually don't mind the premise of the rule. It really annoys me when guys just lay all over the ball, hold onto it amd not let it go until like the 10th warning, or intentionally continue to get in the way of a player trying to get the ball after a free kick.

Its potential efficacy depends, its a big penalty but if they enforce it early it probably goes out of the game pretty quickly and we avoid a situation where it decides a game.
However, much like the stand rule last year the umpires make an effort to go heavy early then ease off, making its application sporadic and confusing

I actually don't mind the premise of the rule. It really annoys me when guys just lay all over the ball, hold onto it amd not let it go until like the 10th warning, or intentionally continue to get in the way of a player trying to get the ball after a free kick.

Its potential efficacy depends, its a big penalty but if they enforce it early it probably goes out of the game pretty quickly and we avoid a situation where it decides a game.
However, much like the stand rule last year the umpires make an effort to go heavy early then ease off, making its application sporadic and confusing
All of the interpretations that they've tightened up on are the ones that have bothered me the most, the ducking, the illegal disposal, etc. They're not gimmicky changes, for once!

Whether the exact changes that they've made to the interpretations translates to a better game of football or more loopholes to be exploited, I don't know. But perhaps that Scott twin that is at AFL HQ now is making some kind of real difference instead of the stupid long goal square type crap in the past.

All of the interpretations that they've tightened up on are the ones that have bothered me the most, the ducking, the illegal disposal, etc. They're not gimmicky changes, for once!

Whether the exact changes that they've made to the interpretations translates to a better game of football or more loopholes to be exploited, I don't know. But perhaps that Scott twin that is at AFL HQ now is making some kind of real difference instead of the stupid long goal square type crap in the past.

Now for the ruck nomination rule...

At the end of the day the game has gone too far professionally for most rule changes to have an effect. Players have time to perfect how they play the game unlike 30 years ago when they trained 3 nights a week and worked during the day.
They are also finely tuned athletes now so there is no going back. If we want the game to be what it was in 1990 then the players have to go back to part time footballers and part time workers and that is not going to happen.
It is interesting that when you dig into the history of the game there is a long line of rule changes going back 100 years.

I would like to see a rule that when the umpire awards a player the ball, who ever is nearest the ball must immediately pass it to them. I get dick of three man on the mark deliberately obstruct the player from getting the ball. It is time wasting

surely the tightening of the time wasting has removed the dot point in the 6/6/6 rule that allowed for 1 warning per team...classic Mickey Mouse line to that rule. What other rule in the book has a "warning credit per team" clause?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back