Umpiring standards 2019

magpie_marty

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Goal Umpires,
Sam Lloyd kicked a clear goal and was reviewed touched on the goal line.
I need to head to spec savers,
And can they measure a 50 metre penalty correctly as in distance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ManOfClay

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2012
On the couch
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Goal Umpires,
Sam Lloyd kicked a clear goal and was reviewed touched on the goal line.
I need to head to spec savers,
And can they measure a 50 metre penalty correctly as in distance?

Was not entirely sure suckling’s kick hit the post either. I was only listening to triple m and they were going on about it

HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees
Was not entirely sure suckling’s kick hit the post either. I was only listening to triple m and they were going on about it
I am pretty sure from the replay that Suckling did hit the post but the replay of the Lloyd non-goal looked like the Dogs player touched it over the line should have been a goal. I hope they try to explain that one. Still trying to work out what the Dogs player (was it Naughton?) was thinking?

Banyo Bloods

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Whole of the ball wasn't past the back edge of the padding on the replay so correct call even though they need better resolution cameras as it almost looks like the blur is the thing that keeps it from being a goal. Naughton thought the Essendon player was going to get closer to contest and made the split second decision to go for it focused on the footy. Hard to instinctively pull your arms away mid jump when you are focused on marking it.

footy75

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood, Melbourne Storm
port v richmond...

the amount of times a port player was tackled then dropped and then given a freekick for holding the man... joke

pal peppa knocks someone over off the ball from behind...noting no free...umpire too scared to reverse it in front of port cheer squad etc

sicily touches a player from the front off the ball free kick in goal square.....omeara same

Wacko23Jacko

Club Legend
May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
Watched my first neutral game live this round for the season...Biggest one glaring at us like an angry dogs balls in HTB / Holding the Man.

Someone who has played footy needs to inform the over analysing/slow mo watching umps committee that you CANNOT pull out from a tackle once you are lunging mid air with your arms around a bloke. Physics is against you.

If a bloke drops the ball mid tackle and you want to go with “keeping the ball moving” over HTB, fair enough. Call play on. To call holding the man simply because a player drops the ball mid tackle in a technically executed tackle is absolute horse s**t.

Fair enough, excessive holding or holding before the bloke gets it... but the above scenario is becoming super common and an absolute blight on the game.

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exceptionally poor umpiring this round with several winners getting goals from dubious calls in close games.

It's not just the dubious calls that upset fans, it's the fact they make obvious errors then don't call the blatant free kicks, or just dumb stuff like in the Adelaide vs North game where a mark was taken and no-one blew the whistle.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
koroit
AFL Club
Geelong
Umpiring is very average as the fans know. Fooking throwing the ball ffs what a joke.It does not enhance the game by letting it go. I am adamant that the umpires try to look after the lesser teams with no penalty. this a conspiracy theory. Gillon McLachlan OUT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raksiam

Draftee
Apr 7, 2019
Arlington, VA USA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Carlton v GC seemed like the umpires were too timid to make any decisions at all. Obviously it didn't help that neither team was playing very well, but when the umps don't make any calls the game really grinds along.

Back One Out

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
G.A.G.F.
There aren't enough cheap goals in today's football

The game needs more discplinary fifty metre penalties and technical free kicks in front of goal for stuff which occurs away from the ball

The fans want more goals and more ad breaks on TV

Johnny Karate

All Australian
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s been very poor. No surprises given the million rule changes that the AFL have implemented. No doubt this will lead to bigger bonuses for Gil, Hocking and the executive while they still “can’t afford” to pay umpires as full time professionals.

marooned

All Australian
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disgraceful umpiring at the Gabba last night.Ball hits the padding that’s a goal.Ball is touched and didn’t clear the entirety of the post,that’s a goal.Not to mention a free kick count of 17-9 at halftime.Umpire sheparding Neale due to poor positioning,that’s a a goal.DISGRACEFUL

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Disgraceful umpiring at the Gabba last night.Ball hits the padding that’s a goal.Ball is touched and didn’t clear the entirety of the post,that’s a goal.Not to mention a free kick count of 17-9 at halftime.Umpire sheparding Neale due to poor positioning,that’s a a goal.DISGRACEFUL
Yeah the umpiring was as bad and one sided as I've seen this year, Collingwood got given an armchair ride, then the umpires did their usual trick of evening up the free kick count once the margin blew out and the result was decided.

Does the AFL think we're all stupid and don't notice this s**t? The way the umpires manipulate games and results is a disgrace.

eddiesmith

Hall of Famer
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England Cronulla
Watched my first neutral game live this round for the season...Biggest one glaring at us like an angry dogs balls in HTB / Holding the Man.

Someone who has played footy needs to inform the over analysing/slow mo watching umps committee that you CANNOT pull out from a tackle once you are lunging mid air with your arms around a bloke. Physics is against you.

If a bloke drops the ball mid tackle and you want to go with “keeping the ball moving” over HTB, fair enough. Call play on. To call holding the man simply because a player drops the ball mid tackle in a technically executed tackle is absolute horse s**t.

Fair enough, excessive holding or holding before the bloke gets it... but the above scenario is becoming super common and an absolute blight on the game.
Absolutely, hate it as much as the sliding rule! It is so frustrating it watch a good tackle get penalised because the player drops the ball!!!

Wacko23Jacko

Club Legend
May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Absolutely, hate it as much as the sliding rule! It is so frustrating it watch a good tackle get penalised because the player drops the ball!!!
Yep absolutely it’s one that they rarely get right, which is frustrating.

That game Coll vs Dogs last week that I watched had one that was about the only good one I’ve seen, where de Goey went in sliding leg first like a soccer tackle, actually took the bloke out.

Usually it’s a bloke head over the ball and the other player doesn’t contest and just falls over the top or stands there and hopes for contact.

FreoGirl

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
Similar one sided free kick count against Port, yet they pulled off a win, so it can be done ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
The umpires do their best, it's the rule book that's become so convoluted and incoherent that's to blame.

We literally have 'umpire crackdowns' in which the umpires focus on one specific rule for a round or two and attempt to get a particular action out of the game, like they're some kind of police force cracking down on a new drug.

It's actually ruining the spectacle for me. I've started turning off games because you can't go more than 30 seconds without a whistle. WAFL is actually considerably better viewing.

Wacko23Jacko

Club Legend
May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Not sure if there was different vision on TV to what we got at ground but I’m pretty sure I watched Lance Franklin receive a free kick for a high infringement during a marking contest, which was actually Franklin with his arm around Grimes’ neck and grimes with his hand on Franklin’s back...

Top Bottom