Umpiring standards 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Still salty from last Sunday's game but where were the frees for "clenched fists" last night? AFL said it was a rule but obviously only for 1 game. It's like a restaurant with soup of the day except they have a rule they are hot on for a game and never hear about it again. * me

Umpires were horrible in that last quarter of the Hawks v Bulldogs game and I thought they were pretty ordinary last night, paying very soft ones, or ones that weren't there at all and then missing what to me, looked much more obvious.

The biggest obstacles for them are cheating players, of which pretty much everyone does it, and a wishy washy league and rules committee. My pet hates are the inconsistencies, it seems like there will be a pet rule that gets highlighted each week and it gets clamped down on. After a very short period, it goes back to normal with the officiating of it. I hate the inconsistencies within a game, from umpire to umpire, quarter to quarter, end to end.

I agree with a poster on the first page of this thread. Ray Chamberlain is the best of them, I think quite clearly, but he doesn't seem to enjoy the support of his colleagues or the league. If he sees it, he calls it and won't put up with whiny players.

I cant help but wonder if Mason Cox's parents (or any international watching who is new to the sport) are like 'what the funk is this game'?

Real talk, if the AFL is serious about making an impact on any form of international market, the inconsistent officiating really needs to be addressed.

Holding the ball, incorrect disposal, push in the backs , they are all simple rules but you can nearly make a 5 minute montage per game of all the incorrect or non calls.

Terrible the last three rounds, I listened to GWS v Richmond and the commentary on AFL Nation where short of bagging the umpires, they where stunned

It’s a tough gig these days the rules change, I blame head office

It's a blight on the game. If they were as accountable as players only 4-5 would get a gig each week.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If that was the case we would not have any umpires at all.

Who would want to be an umpire anyway?

Spend your whole time getting abused and having to relearn your job every year because your bosses are idiots. No thanks.

If that was the case we would not have any umpires at all.

Who would want to be an umpire anyway?

Spend your whole time getting abused and having to relearn your job every year because your bosses are idiots. No thanks.

This is one of the main issues for mine, the kind of weird masochist person that likes the idea of AFL umpiring are not the ones i would trust in making fair, sound decisions.

The question is, where to from here? Why wont the AFL make umpiring a full-time profession with a salary of 90k+ and responsibility of calls?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seen a few good Q's in a bunch of games when the umps pull their heads in but when it's a whistle fest it's unwatchable. It is supposed to be a contact sport but it's being turned into basketball on grass.

27 frees for the Dogs to 12 for the Suns seems pretty f*cked especially as the Suns lead all day meaning they obviously weren't 2nd to the ball all the time.

I get there will be discrepencies in the free kick count but thats far too big of a margin.

For sure it's a difficult game to officiate given the size of the field and speed of play. But having watched almost every match this season it seems like the easiest calls are the ones being missed - the holding the ball/incorrect disposal calls, kicking in danger, etc while the very soft contact that doesn't have any real effect on play is getting called too frequently.

27 frees for the Dogs to 12 for the Suns seems pretty f*cked especially as the Suns lead all day meaning they obviously weren't 2nd to the ball all the time.

I get there will be discrepencies in the free kick count but thats far too big of a margin.

When they won their flag in 2016 they were awarded 57 more frees than the next team. They seem to play a style of football that gives umpires a woody.

The first couple of rounds I pretty much escaped the wrath of the umps, so I took a back seat and listened to everyone else complaining. But then I went to the Pies Eagles game, and sweet jesus. I snapped to attention after the 2nd quarter. The umps were not only booed when they left the field at half time, but they were booed again when they returned. I've never witnessed that before. The main beef was the holding the balls not being paid, and all the 50's. It's getting more difficult every year to understand the decisions from the grandstand.

I probably shouldn't do this, because it's privileged information, but I happen to be friends with an AFL umpire who is a whisteblower in more ways than one, and he gave me a copy of an exam the umps had to sit during the summer in preparation for the 2019 season. It's bizarre stuff. Judge for yourself:

1. How high is the roof climb at Adelaide Oval?
2. What’s the wingspan of a B-2 bomber?
3. How old is Naomi Watts?
4. In Kabbalah, there are how many gates of wisdom?
5. A fall from what height causes equal damage as getting hit by a car doing 112 km per hour?
6. How many years ago did Murdoch buy the News Of The World?
7. How high is the Cinderella Castle at Disneyworld?
8. Rapper Curtis Jackson is better known as what Cent?
9. What’s the total height of Niagara Falls?
10. Which route stretches 3000 miles from Sacramento, California to Ocean City, Maryland?
11. How many sides to a pentacontagon?
12. Edith Cowen appears on which bank note?
13. ‘Goodnight Irene’ was the biggest hit of the year nineteen what?
14. Noah’s Ark is how many cubits in width?
15. The moon is how many times smaller than the earth?
16. Translate 五十 from Chinese to English.
17. In the 1994 action film Speed, a bus was required to stay above what speed to avoid detonating a bomb rigged to it?
18. What is the atomic number of tin?
19. How many years of marriage is the golden wedding anniversary?
20. The word soldier is used how many times in the Bible?
21. How many ways are there to leave your lover, according to Paul Simon?
22. Name a TV series set in Hawaii.
23. How high is the Soho Grand Hotel in New York?
24. How many years ago was the first artificial heart implant?
25. At what number did ‘I Want It All’ peak on the Billboard chart?
26. In millimetres, what is the focal length of the normal lens in 35 mm photography?
27. Tony Shaw collected how many possessions in round 5, 1991?
28. Moses received the commandments how many days after the exit of Egypt?
29. A popular erotic novel is how many 'Shades Of Grey'?
30. What is the percentage of genetic overlap of a parent and offspring?
31. In darts, how many points are scored with a bullseye?
32. What length is the sculpture at Wynyard Train Station in Sydney?
33. How fast can we drive on roads where the speed limit is unspecified?
34. Adam Sandler had how many first dates with Drew Barrymore?
35. In ancient Israel, if an unmarried man had sex with a virgin who was not engaged to be married, his penalty was to pay the woman’s father how many shekels of silver?
36. What is the 5th magic number in nuclear physics?
37. Geelong Station to Jan Juc is which bus route number?
38. What is the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, when the two sides are 30 & 40 metres?
39. Bonzie Colson wears what number for the Milwaukee Bucks?
40. The Christian feast of Pentecost takes place on which day of the Easter season?
41. How many states in the United States?
42. Which coin displays the coat of arms?
43. How tall is the Arc de Triomphe?
44. 'Doppelgangland' is episode number what in the Buffy series?
45. If you use all seven of your letter tiles in a Scrabble play, you earn how many extra points?
46. What is the length of the pool at the Cascadas Family Resort in Sunny Beach, Bulgaria?
47. What is the smallest number that is the sum of two non-zero square numbers?
48. In Roman numerals, what is L?
49. Name a 2011 film starring Seth Rogan & Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
50. In numerology, which number fits this description: 'It expresses a sense of personal freedom. It likes to talk and play and imagine and have fun, especially when it involves experiencing something it hasn't experienced before, and especially when it involves interactions with people. The number is witty. People generally smile a lot when they're around it. The number enjoys finding and exploring entirely new things, ideas, locations, and methods. The general idea of experiencing everything at least once sits well with this number. The essence of this number almost always focuses on the positive side of things rather than the negative.'

You have 50 minutes to complete this exam. Please use a 0.5 pencil. A result less than 50 per cent is a fail.

Umpires need to be held accountable.
I don’t know who is umpiring the game tonight... but to hand out two 50metre penalties that are both 60-65metres plus... is absolute incompetence of the highest order.
Not to mention Reporting a player for ‘striking’ in a genuine contest that would happen multiple times a game.

I’d be sending that bloke to the NEAFL until he understands that a 50 metre penalty is 50 metres long. Don’t come back until you are competent.
Inexcusable.

Goal Umpires,
Sam Lloyd kicked a clear goal and was reviewed touched on the goal line.
I need to head to spec savers,
And can they measure a 50 metre penalty correctly as in distance?

Was not entirely sure suckling’s kick hit the post either. I was only listening to triple m and they were going on about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back