Umpiring standards 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Was not entirely sure suckling’s kick hit the post either. I was only listening to triple m and they were going on about it
I am pretty sure from the replay that Suckling did hit the post but the replay of the Lloyd non-goal looked like the Dogs player touched it over the line should have been a goal. I hope they try to explain that one. Still trying to work out what the Dogs player (was it Naughton?) was thinking?

trying to work out what the Dogs player (was it Naughton?) was thinking?

It was naughton.

Hard to explain what he’d be thinking. I guess the game always looks easier from the stands. Put it real time and in the moment perhaps he lost track of where he was in relation to everything else.

Whole of the ball wasn't past the back edge of the padding on the replay so correct call even though they need better resolution cameras as it almost looks like the blur is the thing that keeps it from being a goal. Naughton thought the Essendon player was going to get closer to contest and made the split second decision to go for it focused on the footy. Hard to instinctively pull your arms away mid jump when you are focused on marking it.

port v richmond...

the amount of times a port player was tackled then dropped and then given a freekick for holding the man... joke

pal peppa knocks someone over off the ball from behind...noting no free...umpire too scared to reverse it in front of port cheer squad etc

sicily touches a player from the front off the ball free kick in goal square.....omeara same

really glad the umps didn't pay the 2nd free kick to Mitch Robinson for blatantly plowing head first into a player. He's going to get himself seriously injured.
Tom Stewart got paid one yesterday for the same thing.

Watched my first neutral game live this round for the season...Biggest one glaring at us like an angry dogs balls in HTB / Holding the Man.

Someone who has played footy needs to inform the over analysing/slow mo watching umps committee that you CANNOT pull out from a tackle once you are lunging mid air with your arms around a bloke. Physics is against you.

If a bloke drops the ball mid tackle and you want to go with “keeping the ball moving” over HTB, fair enough. Call play on. To call holding the man simply because a player drops the ball mid tackle in a technically executed tackle is absolute horse s**t.

Fair enough, excessive holding or holding before the bloke gets it... but the above scenario is becoming super common and an absolute blight on the game.

Exceptionally poor umpiring this round with several winners getting goals from dubious calls in close games.

It's not just the dubious calls that upset fans, it's the fact they make obvious errors then don't call the blatant free kicks, or just dumb stuff like in the Adelaide vs North game where a mark was taken and no-one blew the whistle.

Umpiring is very average as the fans know. Fooking throwing the ball ffs what a joke.It does not enhance the game by letting it go. I am adamant that the umpires try to look after the lesser teams with no penalty. this a conspiracy theory. Gillon McLachlan OUT

Carlton v GC seemed like the umpires were too timid to make any decisions at all. Obviously it didn't help that neither team was playing very well, but when the umps don't make any calls the game really grinds along.

that is true about the rules. And it's the only game I know where the interpretation changes from week to week depending on what all of the pundits are complaining about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disgraceful umpiring at the Gabba last night.Ball hits the padding that’s a goal.Ball is touched and didn’t clear the entirety of the post,that’s a goal.Not to mention a free kick count of 17-9 at halftime.Umpire sheparding Neale due to poor positioning,that’s a a goal.DISGRACEFUL

Disgraceful umpiring at the Gabba last night.Ball hits the padding that’s a goal.Ball is touched and didn’t clear the entirety of the post,that’s a goal.Not to mention a free kick count of 17-9 at halftime.Umpire sheparding Neale due to poor positioning,that’s a a goal.DISGRACEFUL

Yeah the umpiring was as bad and one sided as I've seen this year, Collingwood got given an armchair ride, then the umpires did their usual trick of evening up the free kick count once the margin blew out and the result was decided.

Does the AFL think we're all stupid and don't notice this s**t? The way the umpires manipulate games and results is a disgrace.

Watched my first neutral game live this round for the season...Biggest one glaring at us like an angry dogs balls in HTB / Holding the Man.

Someone who has played footy needs to inform the over analysing/slow mo watching umps committee that you CANNOT pull out from a tackle once you are lunging mid air with your arms around a bloke. Physics is against you.

If a bloke drops the ball mid tackle and you want to go with “keeping the ball moving” over HTB, fair enough. Call play on. To call holding the man simply because a player drops the ball mid tackle in a technically executed tackle is absolute horse s**t.

Fair enough, excessive holding or holding before the bloke gets it... but the above scenario is becoming super common and an absolute blight on the game.

Absolutely, hate it as much as the sliding rule! It is so frustrating it watch a good tackle get penalised because the player drops the ball!!!

Absolutely, hate it as much as the sliding rule! It is so frustrating it watch a good tackle get penalised because the player drops the ball!!!

Yep absolutely it’s one that they rarely get right, which is frustrating.

That game Coll vs Dogs last week that I watched had one that was about the only good one I’ve seen, where de Goey went in sliding leg first like a soccer tackle, actually took the bloke out.

Usually it’s a bloke head over the ball and the other player doesn’t contest and just falls over the top or stands there and hopes for contact.

Similar one sided free kick count against Port, yet they pulled off a win, so it can be done ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The umpires do their best, it's the rule book that's become so convoluted and incoherent that's to blame.

We literally have 'umpire crackdowns' in which the umpires focus on one specific rule for a round or two and attempt to get a particular action out of the game, like they're some kind of police force cracking down on a new drug.

It's actually ruining the spectacle for me. I've started turning off games because you can't go more than 30 seconds without a whistle. WAFL is actually considerably better viewing.

Not sure if there was different vision on TV to what we got at ground but I’m pretty sure I watched Lance Franklin receive a free kick for a high infringement during a marking contest, which was actually Franklin with his arm around Grimes’ neck and grimes with his hand on Franklin’s back...

The umpiring this year has been completely ****ed.

Completely. Beyond a joke stuff really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back