Umpiring standards 2019

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One word..... fooked!

The AFL are more interested in justifying incompetence than actually trying to adjudicate the game correctly.

I wonder if someone who lost a bet on the Essendon game could sue them for engineering results?

They clearly stated the Rampe action is a free kick under the rule and chose not to pay it as it was practical. They have pretty much admitted to engineering the result of a game because of practicality and not adhering to their own rules.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The free kick discrepancy 24/8 to Pies doesn't really concern me. Swings n roundabouts.
What does concern me were the 2 obvious missed free kicks to Plowman, which cost 2 goals directly in the last few minutes.
You can 100% gaurantee that if it was a fwd on the receiving end, those would've been paid.
And yes Pies fans, your bloke who had his legs taken out, probably should've got a free as well, although it wasn't as clear cut imo as the Plowman non decisions.
The first of those 2 was a joke, the biggest joke was straight after that incident after the center bounce where Treloer got a free for holding to send it straight back into their forward line. Nowhere near held as much as Plowman but got a free.
Collingwood go on a run and Carlton drop off, momentum change coincided by a couple of non decisions one way and decision the other.
But hey umpires can't dictate results of games.
I reckon they can sure enough influence them though.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
One word..... fooked!

The AFL are more interested in justifying incompetence than actually trying to adjudicate the game correctly.

I wonder if someone who lost a bet on the Essendon game could sue them for engineering results?

They clearly stated the Rampe action is a free kick under the rule and chose not to pay it as it was practical. They have pretty much admitted to engineering the result of a game because of practicality and not adhering to their own rules.

No free given.

AFL say right decision.

Hey Dane, here is a fine for doing something that we said was okay.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This whole ‘feel’ of the game and ‘players intent’ needs to go.

The rule is the rule. Either enforce it because it’s a good rule. Or dump it because it’s a bad rule.

Too much grey area confuses the umpires and creates the infuriating inconsistency us fans are experiencing watching it.

Some of the stuff in the Essendon v Collingwood and Essendon v Sydney games have been absolutely farcical and the AFL defending it is absurd.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Have seen umpires pay dangerous tackles quite a bit this year sometimes there sometimes not. How the umpire when standing within spitting distance of the play failed to pay a free kick against Jetta is staggering. A clear example of why the rule was introduced and not acted upon. Jetta will get a week as as he should and the umpire should get one as well

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Have seen umpires pay dangerous tackles quite a bit this year sometimes there sometimes not. How the umpire when standing within spitting distance of the play failed to pay a free kick against Jetta is staggering. A clear example of why the rule was introduced and not acted upon. Jetta will get a week as as he should and the umpire should get one as well

This is interesting, Jetta could get a week, but he got a free kick which I think started a chain for an Eagles goal.

Something like a 12 point play.

As the MRP is looking at penalties due to the injury caused, as the player was outed due to concussion, a week is what we will at least see.

Seriously feel that the umps have had “feel for the game”, legislated out their brain.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
This is interesting, Jetta could get a week, but he got a free kick which I think started a chain for an Eagles goal.

Something like a 12 point play.

As the MRP is looking at penalties due to the injury caused, as the player was outed due to concussion, a week is what we will at least see.

Seriously feel that the umps have had “feel for the game”, legislated out their brain.
Smith came back on though, so either Melbourne are negligent or he wasn't concussed by Jetta. Can't have it both ways

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Smith came back on though, so either Melbourne are negligent or he wasn't concussed by Jetta. Can't have it both ways

Did or didn’t he come back on the field ?. I’m getting conflicting reports.

I’ve become very sceptical about the medical reports used at the tribunal. Player is given a 2 week holiday due to concussion report, the concussed player, plays next game.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
FYI - tables I put together for this season so far to counter a peanut saying WCE were being favoured by the umpires at home this year.

2019-frees.jpg

Scroater

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2003
InLarry6'sbulldogphotos
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I know a lot gets said about that 'bald headed flog' but if that Maggot Margetts doesn't give him a run for his money, I'll go he for tiggy.

Grundy in front, English wraps arms around - free kick Grundy. (fair enough)
English in front, Grundy not only wraps an arm around but throws him aside - play on good contest.

Bailey Williams dodging and weaving on boundary line, gets tackled, tackle clearly slips to ankles, player (may have been Greenwood) grabs leg, Williams kicks leg out of tackle looks at umpire, no whistle, ball goes out of play, complains to Maggot Margetts who can be clearly seen on screen shaking head.

The idiot just persistently misses the obvious yet pays the most obscure and when the players go off at him, he stands there with a dumb founded look on his face saying "hey, hey, hey".

Can't find up to date stats but as of the end of 2016, this maggot has umpired well over 300 games yet only done 10 finals and no grand finals. Pretty fair indication of his ability.

Back