Umpiring standards 2019

gimp!

Standus Operatus
Feb 20, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Controlling umpire calls play on to a dropped mark by that Melbourne player. Non-controlling umpire calls a mark. Ball was dropped. I have no words.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
It's just one baffling decision (or non-decision) after another in every single game, much of the time it looks like they're either guessing or simply fabricating frees out of thin air to reach some unknown quota. They are ruining my love for the game (so are Freo but that's another matter) and i don't see it getting better under the current admin. As mentioned above, god help any fans new to the game trying to understand the rules because it appears they make them up as they go.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Umpiring standards are pathetic. No surprises there. Watching Dees and Dogs game no feeling for either team and all I can say is these umpires are a disgrace. The umpires just have no feeling for the game at all. What a shame for AFL. Game is almost unwatchable.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Umpires were laughably bad today. Compare the htb decisions in first qtr ds vs dogs to last couple minutes. Inconsistent and incompetent. Not to mention the ruck decisions

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just watched the Port Adelaide game and the umpiring is continuing to be extremely poor. The AFL must fix these sub standard performances

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It's just one baffling decision (or non-decision) after another in every single game, much of the time it looks like they're either guessing or simply fabricating frees out of thin air to reach some unknown quota. They are ruining my love for the game (so are Freo but that's another matter) and i don't see it getting better under the current admin. As mentioned above, god help any fans new to the game trying to understand the rules because it appears they make them up as they go.

I guess what annoys most of us is a free kick that is obvious to everyone is not paid, and next minute they pay a free which nobody knows what for. Even the player who gets the free is baffled. This happens too frequently for my liking.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Its seems more a case of ruels being in or our - who knows what they are looking for. 99% of pushes in the back are let go. Hold the ball in when tackled and its ok, etc, etc.
Then the occasional tackle as a player is about to take posession for a dramatic holding the ball - ??

So many areas of the rules where umps are being selective - players being held at stoppages, incorrect disposal/holding the ball/what is prior opportunity etc.

Even not recalling terrible centre bounces is getting beyond a joke. Seems which team it advantages is the criteria now.

Scroater

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2003
InLarry6'sbulldogphotos
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Saw a Geelong player get rotated what looked to be 720 degrees and then get a handball away, play on.
See other players just grab ball, get crunched, ball goes to ground, free kick.

Saw Max Gawn put his arm out (he does it a fair bit) and get penalised when Tim English also had his arm out at the same time.
See other ruckman throw opponent out of ruck contest, play on.

The amount of times a backman gets done for "arms around" when the forward has a fist full of jumper under the throat is mind boggling.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
At the Dogs/Cats game last week, a non-officiating umpire called a free kick and advantage was paid. I thought that if the free kick paid out of the zone, it had to be taken at the spot and no advantage could be taken (same as no advantage can be taken from a mark). Anyone know anything about this?

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Saw a Geelong player get rotated what looked to be 720 degrees and then get a handball away, play on.
See other players just grab ball, get crunched, ball goes to ground, free kick.

Saw Max Gawn put his arm out (he does it a fair bit) and get penalised when Tim English also had his arm out at the same time.
See other ruckman throw opponent out of ruck contest, play on.

The amount of times a backman gets done for "arms around" when the forward has a fist full of jumper under the throat is mind boggling.
dickey ruck free kicks have been in existence since forever

that's why you'll hardly ever see a ruckman at a stoppage remonstrate after a free, it's just the norm for them

MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Another disgustingly inept display of 'officiating' tonight. Both teams received an awful free kick at an important stage. The 'block' free kick to Ben Brown was garbage and the McInerney free kick was bad as well.

You would think that Leigh Fisher would have a feel for the game considering he has played it at the highest level, clearly not.

Back