Umpiring standards 2019

Hahaha good one champ. I was having a discussion, you come in and abuse people. Funny and sad. Maybe read your post and then apply it to yourself.

You weren't having a discussion. Having a discussion usually involves acknowledging what the other person said. Instead of trying to turn the conversation into "its all about my position" and nothing else.

Nothing 50/50 about that decision by Chamberlain. If a player contacts you front on in a marking contest while their back is to the ball its an immediate free even if you jump around like all three stooges to draw attention to it. Its the contact that is illegal and it doesn't matter how much mayo you put on it after the event the opposition player has already broken the game rules by interfering with your mark illegally. Dunno why you'd bring it up in that context.

Also abuse is usually directed at people. If i tell someone else my opinion of you that isn't abuse. Frankly my opinion of you is none of your business.

None the less you used my comment to someone else (I named them so it was specifically directed at them) as an excuse to abuse me by calling me a child. There's a Tool song about that sort of thing and you didn't have to wait 15 lifetimes to hear it released.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
You weren't having a discussion. Having a discussion usually involves acknowledging what the other person said. Instead of trying to turn the conversation into "its all about my position" and nothing else.

Nothing 50/50 about that decision by Chamberlain. If a player contacts you front on in a marking contest while their back is to the ball its an immediate free even if you jump around like all three stooges to draw attention to it. Its the contact that is illegal and it doesn't matter how much mayo you put on it after the event the opposition player has already broken the game rules by interfering with your mark illegally. Dunno why you'd bring it up in that context.

Also abuse is usually directed at people. If i tell someone else my opinion of you that isn't abuse. Frankly my opinion of you is none of your business.

None the less you used my comment to someone else (I named them so it was specifically directed at them) as an excuse to abuse me by calling me a child. There's a Tool song about that sort of thing and you didn't have to wait 15 lifetimes to hear it released.

Oh, diddums, baby want his bottle? maybe an early night for you, you're a bit grumpy.

Oh, diddums, baby want his bottle? maybe an early night for you, you're a bit grumpy.

So what do you think about this:

Nothing 50/50 about that decision by Chamberlain. If a player contacts you front on in a marking contest while their back is to the ball its an immediate free even if you jump around like all three stooges to draw attention to it. Its the contact that is illegal and it doesn't matter how much mayo you put on it after the event the opposition player has already broken the game rules by interfering with your mark illegally.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So what do you think about this:

Nothing 50/50 about that decision by Chamberlain. If a player contacts you front on in a marking contest while their back is to the ball its an immediate free even if you jump around like all three stooges to draw attention to it. Its the contact that is illegal and it doesn't matter how much mayo you put on it after the event the opposition player has already broken the game rules by interfering with your mark illegally.

If it is blatant then its a free kick. He has already admitted he made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes, players make a hell of a lot more mistakes than umpires. But you sit there saying he should never umpire another game is hilarious, sad and embarrassing for you

And as I was alluding to earlier, I don't mind if umpires have the mindset to treat players who are known divers/exaggerators harsher when the free kick is a 50/50, might teach them not to dive. The umpire got it wrong this instance and has admitted it.

Now be a good kid, pick up the toys you just threw out of your cot

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep if a free kick is there then pay it. But if umpires are going to be harder on blokes who are going to flop/dive for 50/50 calls then I have no problem with that. Its not how I would do it but think it is a fair enough way to go about it by the umpires.

Then the game has no principles or integrity.
You " think " it is a " fair enough " way for the " umpires to go about it " ? ? ?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I know we say the umpiring gets worse every year, but it's been an special kind of utter garbage this season, and the thing is, just about every team has been screwed over by the umps in at least one game this season.

I think the Umpires are being over-coached this year, and the new rule changes don't help either.

Also so many non-incorrect disposal calls, so many more players get away with rugby throes these days.

Need to get someone decent like Rowan Sawers back to mentor these umpires, he was just about the best umpire in the business years ago.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even just for laughs at 2 north Melbourne supporters I applaud this decision of Razor's. Been entertaining all morning watching you 2 cry over spilt milk. Please keep it going

I support my team and the game. If you think this does not compromise the game you need to think again.

Keen on getting Coniglio ? You seem to be front runners according to the media. Gil has stated that he would prefer him to stay at GWS. So the AFL find some way for him to stay at GWS with some underhanded payment out of the salary cap to keep him there.

Fair ? Not compromised ?

Ok. Seems fair to me.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I support my team and the game. If you think this does not compromise the game you need to think again.

Keen on getting Coniglio ? You seem to be front runners according to the media. Gil has stated that he would prefer him to stay at GWS. So the AFL find some way for him to stay at GWS with some underhanded payment out of the salary cap to keep him there.

Fair ? Not compromised ?

Ok. Seems fair to me.

haha, this is fantastic, on a crusade to save the world all because little razor ray didn't pay a free kick to Ziebel. I can only imagine what you would do if something actually bad happened to you.

If we get coniglio we do, if we don't, we don't. No skin of my nose. I definitely wont be crying like a baby like someone is.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
haha, this is fantastic, on a crusade to save the world all because little razor ray didn't pay a free kick to Ziebel. I can only imagine what you would do if something actually bad happened to you.

If we get coniglio we do, if we don't, we don't. No skin of my nose. I definitely wont be crying like a baby like someone is.

How am l crying ? He admitted he didn't like a player so didn't pay a free kick and gets praised for it.

Sad you don't get how this compromises the game we all love.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Even just for laughs at 2 north Melbourne supporters I applaud this decision of Razor's. Been entertaining all morning watching you 2 cry over spilt milk. Please keep it going

I was at the game in the Geelong Members behind the goals.

I was an utter s**t moment of umpiring to miss such a blatant free kick.

I got pissed off at the time. Especially seeing as that FIGJAM flog Tuohy got away with it.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was at the game in the Geelong Members behind the goals.

I was an utter s**t moment of umpiring to miss such a blatant free kick.

I got pi**ed off at the time. Especially seeing as that FIGJAM flog Tuohy got away with it.

And therein lies the problem. He didn't miss it, he didn't pay it because he had a bias against Ziebell. And then he gets on radio and admits it.
Whately, Lyon and even Buckley call him courageous and brave for admitting it. These blokes should be hauling him over the coals and asking as a custodian of the game how can he do this ?

Blight came on the Whateley wank this morning and called out Ray over it. Whateley called it an " interesting debate " to have.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
And therein lies the problem. He didn't miss it, he didn't pay it because he had a bias against Ziebell. And then he gets on radio and admits it.
Whately, Lyon and even Buckley call him courageous and brave for admitting it. These blokes should be hauling him over the coals and asking as a custodian of the game how can he do this ?

Blight came on the Whateley wank this morning and called out Ray over it. Whateley called it an " interesting debate " to have.

At the time I don't know that. Regardless of why, it was just garbage umpiring.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree entirely with Hojuman here. We always say 'Play the free kicks wherever they occer - pay the free kicks whenever they happen'.

Now we all know that umpires chicken out on frees directly in front of goal and in the last 30 seconds (Directly in front of goal in the last 30 seconds? - almost never paid). And it drives us nuts. Umpires have bias in the game due to time of game, field position of infringement, and sets against players (divers, whatever). Let's not even talk about 'square-ups'.

It shouldn't happen. Every potential incident should be adjudicated independently. Umpires are human, sure, so errors will be made. But they should acknowledge their errors.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly really don't care that we lost. I'm peeved we only kicked one goal, sure.

But none of us who care for the game and are one-eyed about our teams should have to put up with ANY umpire that admits that he didn't pay a free kick because he didn't think the player deserved it.

To be lauded by the media as well makes it even worse.

Dog with a bone l know but the old analogy, " what if this happened in a Grand Final. " Long stretch to be sure, but.......

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I don't disagree. It's just somewhat bizarre how different it is being adjudicated this year compared to last year. Throwing the ball to the boundary umpire when it was clearly out on the full would've been a 50 metre penalty 10/10 times the past 5 years yet this year seems to be different.

Exactly correct , and this rule fiddling lowering and raising the seriousness of all the petty rules we have, is wrecking the game, but of course it is confusing and unfair, to everybody?

You have to ask why ?

Footy is simple , don't complicate it , but the AFL has tried to turn it into rocket science, and a gamblers paradise.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I honestly really don't care that we lost. I'm peeved we only kicked one goal, sure.

But none of us who care for the game and are one-eyed about our teams should have to put up with ANY umpire that admits that he didn't pay a free kick because he didn't think the player deserved it.

To be lauded by the media as well makes it even worse.

Dog with a bone l know but the old analogy, " what if this happened in a Grand Final. " Long stretch to be sure, but.......

I agree totally, and your "what if in a grand final" comment , well I saw an umpire not know the difference between a block and shepherd and distance that lost a grand final very recently!.
I actually saw your team North, crucified by umpires after jumping to a 3 to 4 goal lead early in the game, in a final at Subiaco, some years back, only to be destroyed by stop start frees, with doubt written in capital letters over most of those calls.

The umpires put the Eagles game back on track.
I tell you when the umps start seeing things one way meant or not , the team getting the kicking will drop its head.

I don't really know what to say any more , I have been spitting chips about the greying of the rules, for quite a few years now , More people need top complain to their clubs, take the actual facts to these blokes who have messed with black and white rules.

But the AFL is a law unto itself , listens to nobody and is up to an agenda that I can't figure out.
If it isn't manipulation of some kind to promote it into something else, then what is it?

If the AFL think they are doing well, then it is stupidity of the highest order.,

Both reasons mean the current AFL administration should be fired!
Footy is a simple game, we have 36 men on the ground , at the same time!!!

Its hard enough adjudicating, without adding perception in split seconds from umpires who are not always sure, as we see proved every week, not their fault ,its the ambiguousness rules of the way the game can be read, differently by all individuals.

Every week we see what I call the beginning of the end for proper Australian Rules, for starters Umps make mistakes too many times whether its a one off as it has been in the past and I'm talking one or two incidents that are mistakes by umpires, TODAY people can interpret a mistake one way the other s another way then the ump calles something we have no idea what for? Happens every game you watch . More than 1 or 2 times.

Then because of rampant free kicks given for god knows what sometimes, we see EVERY WEEK the game stop and start, and NOT FLOW, because the umpires and their massive load of grey rules find a free kick in nearly every thing that happens. Pack mark mostly a free, defender trying to spoil called hitting the arms , what else does he do watch?

If you catch the ball and hold it and you are a real good proper footballer , you are supposed to be able to hold the bleeding ball, but marks are called sometimes when they are not. In other words easier to take a mark than in the past, and anything can happen so if you fly you are more than likely going to get free kicked anyway.

What are the AFL after actually, quick flowing game, they don't want [players being concussed nobody does, but that is the risk if you play at the level for anything from $30,000 a year to $1,000,000 million a year

Should be a legal sign up by players and clubs, to guarantee any player with long term injury affects will be looked after. For ever.
But if you want to play??? sSgn the document, if not , play tennis!

Any way that's my beef, if the AFL is terrified by litigation, then get the contracts ready!

And that way we can get rid of Gil M. and Hocking rule man and some of the other pompous AFL people who are taking the contest and contact out of the game, who have diluted the whole competition with two new clubs in the WRONG PLACES!

SO WRITE TO YOUR CLUB AND COMPLAIN!
IF EVERY WEEK YOU SEE NONSENSE AND UNFAIRNESS BECAUSE OF FIDDLED MANGLED RULE CHANGES , THAT ARE NOT NEEDED.

Or its AFLX coming folks. And that'll be the end of me.... spending money on fox footy club membership and paying for over priced food at the games!

One last whinge , the goal scoring hasn't got any better in two ways, the kicking sometimes is garbage , the other way, this smart arsed AFL said they wanted a flowing high scoring sport, all they got is the ruining of the real; Aussie rules, and if we are not careful they'll want that absolute f****** s*** called AFLX as the main game.

That umpire should never be seen on an AFL field again.

He clearly has absolutely zero feel for the skills of the game if he’s going to pay a free for that.

* him off to the manangatang thirds to run the water.

Back