Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we had a fair run of the umps over the whole night, they had no impact on the result.

Being in Perth I can accept that the Eagles will get those types of calls towards the end, the one im most bitter about was the touched call..it wasn't even close...black marks 20 out and kills off the game, crowd is dead, umps put the whistle away as the match drifts away from the opposition, for me that was the one.

Yeah, good thread Chad. Unfortunately, let's face it, the loss is the primary factor in driving the initial emotional reaction. That said, I agree with your comment that more and more umpiring decisions are deciding results. And, moreover, decisions based on crappy (changes to) rules.

I remember a few years back, thinking that a game (that's right, just one) against Collingwood had been significantly influenced by the umpires decisions. Normally, bad decisions here and there are just 'meh' but nowadays too many games, it seems, have results determined by controversial decisions. That they are controversial says something about the arbitrary nature of adjudicating umpiring decisions. They need to be clearer and easier for umpires and fans alike.

I converted my wife, about 7-8 years ago from soccer to footie, and she now absolutely loves North. We both have memberships now. However, after last night she exclaimed that she wanted to cancel her membership in disgust at a game that can be decided by umpiring.

The game was iced if Black took his marked kick in front of goal. Or if Kennedy didn't get paid the marking contest free on the wing, or if the last Selwood duck was let go as they had been all night. I don't think it was a conspiracy, I think the umpires just panicked a bit. And those decisions cost North the win they had in their hands.

Not saying North didn't make mistakes or that the weren't other reasons. But the final few umpiring decisions were important.

The umpiring was clearly an impacting factor on the result of the game. WC made mistakes as well.

I'm just grateful that I wasn't at the match. I doubt I would be posting for a couple of years.

I'm going to take great joy if I ever get the pleasure to see Sellwood oor Shuey on a stretcher.
That'll confuse the umpires.

Daw dropping a couple of sitters. McMahon losing body contact on LeCras. Thomas having all the time in the world when running towards goal but panicked and kicked too early, letting a sheep dog like Hill off the leash. We made more mistakes than the ump.
Had a nights sleep to calm down and re-valuate the game. l came to the same conclusion plus more as yourself.
Both teams could have won or lost the game at certain stages in the final quarter.
Umpiring decisions are influenced by crowds.
If we want to try and help the team by influencing the umpiring decisions like other teams can, when they play at home or away, then to all those "lounge room supporters", get your winging a*ses off your seats and go to the games. BTW l'm not talking about those that cant get to games but the one's who would rather stay at home and sook about it.
We seem to have a lot of followers (l wont class them as supporters) who only turn up to a game when the outcome seems near certain.
As a wise old saying goes >>> ."PUT UP OR SHUT UP"!!!!..:mad:

Had a nights sleep to calm down and re-valuate the game. l came to the same conclusion plus more as yourself.
Both teams could have won or lost the game at certain stages in the final quarter.
If we want to try and help the team by influencing the umpiring decisions like other teams can, when they play at home or away, then to all those "lounge room supporters", get your winging a*ses off your seats and go to the games. BTW l'm not talking about those that cant get to games but the one's who would rather stay at home and sook about it.
We seem to have a lot of followers (l wont class them as supporters) who only turn up to a game when the outcome seems near certain.

100% - good run V Port not so good last night. Glass half full but we are building nicely. Sure it would have been nice to win but the sun came up this morning and life goes on. We will win our next 3 and will learn to close out close ones.

You guys are building to be a strong team. I am sick of the Selwood's ducking and finally it affected the result of a game. AFL seem to change the rules every time an issue comes up, maybe they can change something to stop the Selwood's

PS: Joel is over rated too

I feel your pain Chad. If the AFL lets *Essendon off the hook, then that will be the final straw.

As days go by I'm thinking more and more that you, I, and most of the footballing public are going to be very very pissed off by the outcome of this saga...

Ps. The Selwood decision was bad beyond belief, the Shuey one more clear imo. Stay away from footy media early next week because when the Giesch comes out and tells us everything is rosy in the garden I'm thinking you may be close to putting your foot through your telly.

I think we've earned the right to play the eagles in Melbourne. It's been a long time.

I feel your pain Chad. If the AFL lets *Essendon off the hook, then that will be the final straw.

I can understand you are upset with another close loss, and you probably got the raw end on a few crucial decisions, but you were we'll ahead for much of the game. You should have won anyway! The responsibility lies with your players and coach, not the umpires or rules. How this has anything to do with Essendon and the farce we have been forced to go through is beyond me. Which illegal or performance enhancing drugs have any of our players taken anyway?

You guys have an exciting team, on the up, which has blown a few chances and had a bit of bad luck to go with it. You'll enjoy your future success more because of the losses. Suck it up and don't be such a pack of whingers!

You guys are building to be a strong team. I am sick of the Selwood's ducking and finally it affected the result of a game. AFL seem to change the rules every time an issue comes up, maybe they can change something to stop the Selwood's

PS: Joel is over rated too

Must admit I always thought people we're full of s**t but I was watching Selwood very closely last night and now I'm a believer. The guy is a total hack who deliberately ducks his head, leads with his head and throws his head back over the most minor contact. Can't believe the umpires haven't figured this out yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% - good run V Port not so good last night. Glass half full but we are building nicely. Sure it would have been nice to win but the sun came up this morning and life goes on. We will win our next 3 and will learn to close out close ones.

OMG you have got to be kidding! This type of evaluation of the umpiring is the problem with our game.
You guys can't say, oh if we had of done this or we had of done that better during the game or even look at the other bs free kicks during the game, because you can put all that sh$t aside and the fact of the matter is even though they were coming you guys were in front with 60 sec to go and if the umpires didn't pay that 50/50 free to Selwood you would have won the game.
I could pull out 20-30 high frees just from last round that were worse than that one that were called play on in less crucial time of a game.
No one should make excuses for sh%t umpiring, and certainly not when they change the outcome of a game.

Must admit I always thought people we're full of s**t but I was watching Selwood very closely last night and now I'm a believer. The guy is a total hack who deliberately ducks his head, leads with his head and throws his head back over the most minor contact. Can't believe the umpires haven't figured this out yet.

Many players do it, Im a North supporter but S.Thompson does it frequently, Cunners and even Spitter now n then as examples.

I can understand you are upset with another close loss, and you probably got the raw end on a few crucial decisions, but you were we'll ahead for much of the game. You should have won anyway! The responsibility lies with your players and coach, not the umpires or rules. How this has anything to do with Essendon and the farce we have been forced to go through is beyond me. Which illegal or performance enhancing drugs have any of our players taken anyway?

You guys have an exciting team, on the up, which has blown a few chances and had a bit of bad luck to go with it. You'll enjoy your future success more because of the losses. Suck it up and don't be such a pack of whingers!

....cough.... Kevin Sheedy for most of the 80's and 90's.

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Apart from the art of ducking for frees, the holding the ball decisions given when some clearly delusional ball player decides to do what he is trained to do, being take possession, only to be tackled to the ground, arms and ball held in and under by about sixteen other blokes mostly opposition players, and he is lying in there gasping for breath. And the umpire blows his whistle, pays the free against him and then says " you've got to make an attempt".

Even Houdini would be completely stuffed these days if he was playing football.

And we are supposed to enjoy watching that?

This is the big one for me. It's completely unjustified and purely for the sake of moving the game on for entertainment purposes.

OMG you have got to be kidding! This type of evaluation of the umpiring is the problem with our game.
You guys can't say, oh if we had of done this or we had of done that better during the game or even look at the other bs free kicks during the game, because you can put all that sh$t aside and the fact of the matter is even though they were coming you guys were in front with 60 sec to go and if the umpires didn't pay that 50/50 free to Selwood you would have won the game.
I could pull out 20-30 high frees just from last round that were worse than that one that were called play on in less crucial time of a game.
No one should make excuses for sh%t umpiring, and certainly not when they change the outcome of a game.

Settle plugger - you can't say that they would not have gone forward and kicked a goal if the high tackle was not paid. Ifs and buts count for little. Umpiring good or bad is part of the game. We should have taken the game out of the umps hands.

Its just so overumpired these days its ridiculous, as a fan you invest multiple hours of your time watching a great contest knowing that the maggots will be the ones to decide it at end of a nail biter..

As Sam Newman famously says, it's not the ones they don't pay that infuriate people, it's the ones they DO pay.

Especially when those ones decide contests.

Will the AFL ever realise that people aren't complaining just because their team gets the occasional rough ride? They're complaining because of how soft and technical most of these free kicks are. They're complaining because the umpires job is being made impossible by ridiculous rule interpretations. They're complaining because in the heat of the moment umpires don't know how to officiate in the spirit of the game.

Too high on Selwood? Give me a break. The guy slipped under a very good tackle like he and his brothers have been doing for years. You could see it coming a mile away.

Play on.

Ah...I see. Thanks Essendon supporter for your wonderful words of wisdom. With each comment I hope more and more your team goes under. Kindly piss off back to the hole you crawled out of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back