Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Under existing Rules/Laws, is there any way a handball over your head backwards can be executed legally ?
Greg Williams executed this type of handball perfectly.

I recall Ron Barassi saying the same thing on world of sport in 1976 (or was it 77?).

Ron says not possible. It may have been Jack Dyer said it could be done but a bloke would need to have big hands.

Maybe giantroo has a video.

The other one is hand balling sideways on the wrong side, i.e. right fist directing the ball right of the body or left fist directing the ball to the left. First of all, it's indicative of being unable to handball using either hand, and secondly, it's effectively a flick pass and is illegal. Or used to be. Nowadays, you can use your right hand to handball backwards over your right shoulder, which is physiologically impossible according to Shintemaster's extremely valid interpretation.

The other one is hand balling sideways on the wrong side, i.e. right fist directing the ball right of the body or left fist directing the ball to the left. First of all, it's indicative of being unable to handball using either hand, and secondly, it's effectively a flick pass and is illegal. Or used to be. Nowadays, you can use your right hand to handball backwards over your right shoulder, which is physiologically impossible according to Shintemaster's extremely valid interpretation.

I think the Dogs' first goal is an example of what you're talking about here - Honeychurch holds the ball in his right hand and extends it outwards then lets go in what could best be described as an underhand throwing motion. He appears to make an action with his left hand to get a fist towards it but it looks like Tarrant's tackle pins the arm first before contact is made with the ball.

Nonetheless the ball goes to the left - in the direction that Honeychurch's right arm was extending - and not to the right - in the direction that his fist would have taken it if he made contact.

@ 0:17 on this video.

To me that looks like a normal handball. He hits it with his left hand to the right.

Only problem I see with that is if he didn't make contact in the tackle but its hard to say that happened. Imo he hit it with his left hand.

It looks dodgy at normal speed but I watched it at one quarter speed and it looks more legit.

Barrett actually brought up how the dogs have been getting special treatment. Showed the differentials and went on to say how the swans queried it last year. The Hawks too and north Melbourne.

No way!!!!

That is unreal.

I applaud their competence.

its a *in joke. ive got to a point, that i dont enjoy afl anymore, id rather go watch my nephew play.
if it wasnt the absolute passion i have for nmfc, i would even watch on tv, let alone go to every game we play in melb.

In all seriouslyness, the AFL has the outright stupidity to say the shot clock scenario is fine as it is. That is a total nonsense.
Imagine telling basketball teams there'll be no shot clock showing in last couple of minutes of each period. Laughable.
If the AFL is trying to prove its the most ****ed up league in the world they are on the right path.
This is Buffoonery on a colossal level.
They tried to convince us that penalizing the side which did the right thing by nominating only one ruckman was correct, now they are telling us players have 30 seconds, but are not entitled to know how much of it is left. So they can be picked off at a time when they have no reason to expect contact at all. I look forward to a bloke doing his knee and them back pedaling then.
Never been more disgusted in the competition.
Just about done with it. It's WWE.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.

its a ****in joke. ive got to a point, that i dont enjoy afl anymore, id rather go watch my nephew play.
if it wasnt the absolute passion i have for nmfc, i would even watch on tv, let alone go to every game we play in melb.
This is exactly where I stand. I enjoy Auskick more and only my passion for North keeps me watching our games. I don't watch other games. It's a steaming pile.

In all seriouslyness, the AFL has the outright stupidity to say the shot clock scenario is fine as it is. That is a total nonsense.
Imagine telling basketball teams there'll be no shot clock showing in last couple of minutes of each period. Laughable.
If the AFL is trying to prove its the most ****** up league in the world they are on the right path.
They tried to convince us that penalizing the side which did the right thing by nominating only one ruckman was correct, now they are telling us players have 30 seconds, but are not entitled to know how much of it is left. So they can be picked off at a time when they have no reason to expect contact at all. I look forward to a bloke doing his knee and them back pedaling then.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.

Someone is going to get hurt . I think it's the umpires duty of care to make sure the player at least hears the play on call.

Someone is going to get hurt . I think it's the umpires duty of care to make sure the player at least hears the play on call.

A player is not expecting contact when lining up for a set shot, so the risk is increased.
I'm just amazed at how illogical it is. Simply show the shot clock the entire time if you want to use it. Or get rid of it and just let the umps tell the player it is time to kick it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A player is not expecting contact when lining up for a set shot, so the risk is increased.
I'm just amazed at how illogical it is. Simply show the shot clock the entire time if you want to use it. Or get rid of it and just let the umps tell the player it is time to kick it.

Get rid of.

It is another basketballbarsdisation of everything to do with a contact sport.

Why is it possible for the AFL to have the umpires miked up so that someone with little interest in the game can hear them make the call 6789 miles away on a B&W TV, yet they can't manage to get the umpire close enough to be able to communicate to the most important person in the game, being the bloke having the shot?

Bugger the shot clock, piss off the rushed behind rule, make it clear what "holding the ball" and "illegal disposal" is, give some clarity on the deliberate out of bounds rule, scrap the nominating ruck rule and give consistency on the sheparding + chopping the arms when forwards are competing the ball.

The ******* rules need to be made black and white. None of this interpretation bullshit. They also need to not focus on "rules of the week" and there should never be crackdowns on certain rules.

Just simplify the rules, make them black and white so that the umpires can adjudicate consistently week in week out across a whole season.

The umpiring standard is the worst it's been for the last 20 years

Bugger the shot clock, piss off the rushed behind rule, make it clear what "holding the ball" and "illegal disposal" is, give some clarity on the deliberate out of bounds rule, scrap the nominating ruck rule and give consistency on the sheparding + chopping the arms when forwards are competing the ball.

The ******* rules need to be made black and white. None of this interpretation bullshit. They also need to not focus on "rules of the week" and there should never be crackdowns on certain rules.

Just simplify the rules, make them black and white so that the umpires can adjudicate consistently week in week out across a whole season.

The umpiring standard is the worst it's been for the last 20 years
I hear ye ya.

If the AFL is trying to prove its the most ****** up league in the world they are on the right path.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.

The problem with the AFL is they're absolutely amateurish in their knee jerk reactions to rule changes.

They implement a count down clock FFS because a couple players take longer than 30 seconds. Then they implement a rule where the clock disappears if there's less than 30 seconds left in the quarter because a couple players used their full 30 seconds. They've even started allowing the big LED countdown clocks to run until the last 60 seconds of the final quarter.

Think about the sliding rule! A freak accident caused a rule to be brought in to stop players sliding feet first. Then they implemented a rule where the 'head was sacrosanct'. So now we've got players jumping on the ball while one bends down to pick it up and the umpire flipping a coin as to whether it's a bellow the knees free or a head high free. There were TWO such occurrences on Saturday night (both which NMFC got the free for btw)

What other professional sport in the world would just add an extra umpire/referee for a few games?! How is it fair to have extra officials for only a few certain games!?

Man, I could go on all day. The bloody holding the ball rule has been twisted and changed so many times it's crazy. Remember being spun 360? We've got players 'making an attempt' punching themselves in the ****. We've got players running 5m into an opposition player and it's 'knocked out in the tackle'. We've got players genuinely attempting to get rid of the ball, but with one arm pinned getting done. We've got inside mids getting a palm from the ruck & getting pinged holding the ball.

They make these sorts of rule changes and interpretation changes on a whim all the freakin time, it's phenomenal.

It's incredibly unprofessional, reeks of pandering to media sentiment and is unfair to all clubs and supporters.

/rant

Frankly we should have won.

Wood owned up to that free that denied Brownie the match winner in that interview (kudos to him) but the Higgins call is still there. And lets assume Higgins took too long. If the umpire controlling the game had called play on when Stringer saw Donlon call it (was it him?) then started playing on then Higgins would have had the time to react and play on and probably scores a goal before long Stringer runs him down. Because he didn't Stringer has probably entered the exclusion zone before the controlling umpire calls play on.

The controlling umpire calls play on in response to another umpires call. He has effectively lost control of the situation. It should have been a 50 to Higgins or play on should have been called 2 seconds earlier.

if that account is actually linked to the afl, its really unprofessional.
especially since the artice writen by superfooty changed the image (see above) to an image of higgo speaking to the ump.

and since its not, and the afl allow it to use its name is even worse. makes them look like the fools hey are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back