Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it happens all the time, that is the problem. It wasn't textbook and neither was that one against Duncan by that Swans bloke. Both tried to turn but both ended up face-planting their opponent. It seems to be fashionable that as long as you try to turn them, the end result doesn't matter. It happens so many times in a game that it seems legit but for 100 years that bloke that gets ridden into the ground gets a free. It was a difficult tackle, but the bloke with his head over the ball should and always has been given the benefit, now it seems we want the other way round. That Swans player launched himself at Duncan at full speed from behind with absolutely no duty of care to the ball carrier. And everyone said it was a perfect tackle. No it was reckless and knocked him unconscious. Is that what we want. Last nights one wasn't so reckless, but it was there.
If we’re paying that, then every tackle to ground should be paid too. That was just about as softly as you can hit the ground in a tackle.

The club needs to call a meeting with the umpiring department to ask for a better understanding to why we are constantly losing the umpiring line by 10+ frees. If we are doing something wrong, we need to at least look like we are trying to rectify it. I dont think we are tbh, but its the way to get a better rub of the green to take the right path to getting a better understanding of it.

the 10m pass & the dangerous tackle call were just outrageous tbh.

Especially against interstate teams on their home turf. +10 Differential - Port 22/12, Bris 28/16 and WCE 25/15 = 75 Against and 43 For. Damning statistic. Easy to say it is "the way that we play", but that covers a small % total of undisciplined frees. Arguably, umpiring bias/mistakes cost us 2 of the 3 interstate games I listed. The differential is always a case of not paying the frees that are there. Oppo frees are usually there (exception was last night), but it the frees not paid to us when they are clearly there.

If that Ryan non 15M was against Collingwood, Dogs or Essendon, I'll bet the media would be all over it.

Our interstate games vs bris, port and wce the free count is a whopping 75-43 ... wtf is that? That's actually crazy and I'd love to know the last q free count from the port and wce games. We lost to port by 2pt and wce by 4pts. Cant say that doesnt affect our season massively. 9-4 sure looks a lot better than 7-6.

Good Call - you beat me to it.

Last night was the 7th game this year we've conceded +10 free kicks, but the umpiring wasn't why we lost and it's too easy of an out to blame the umpiring.

It was a mark. The shot before this shows he took it above the ground and then his body slid forward. The only issue i see with it is the obvious distance it was - 10m's, tops

This is the frame before, not sure it shows he clearly marked it, he got it between his left arm and chest initially, then between his chest and ground before grabbing again with his right arm that he brings in to the ball after its hit the ground

Shot prior

Kennedy Mark 1.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was the 7th game this year we've conceded +10 free kicks, but the umpiring wasn't why we lost and it's too easy of an out to blame the umpiring.
It wasn’t the only reason, maybe not the major reason but in a four point game it was certainly a factor.

Last edited:
It wasn’t the only reader, maybe not the major reason but in a four point game it was certainly a factor.

spot on , lol this is the problem in this sport , clubs can’t/won’t say anything , fans just say oh well that’s just the way it is, it’s ******* comical , just gets to a point where it loses me interest in the sport more .

The thing that sticks out to me is they call play on when we face different directions but stay on our line but a couple of times WC had a free kick or mark on centre wing he runs off his line and they dont call play on till he’s taken three steps off his line, that ends up an extra 10 mtr kick.
Thats match fixing.
Its not just against Tiges it’s the influence they have on every game now saying they have to interpret the rules and change their interpretation.
It is match fixing and if it was a different game in Europe or America there would be an investigation.

Through all the years we were rubbish (and for someone who has followed since the mid 80s, you know how long those bad times were), this is the only time when i have felt like I'm over it and cant watch anymore. It's just so bleedingly obvious we are getting shafted by the umps. The stats dont lie over the long run, and the free differential over the last few years, with its apex this year especially interstate, is irrefutable evidence of bias against us. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. Might get interested again come finals time but for now not going to watch or go (ie when we can go again)

This is the frame before, not sure it shows he clearly marked it, he got it between his left arm and chest initially, then between his chest and ground before grabbing again with his right arm that he brings in to the ball after its hit the ground

Shot prior

View attachment 1154865
It was a mark any day of the week (if it went 15M).

I would honestly like to know how the AFL is worth a BILLION plus and we cant afford to pay Umpires a full time wage in each state.

The combo of inexperienced umpires, our style of play hard to follow and constant rule changes ( to make the game faster) is the reason some teams thrive under this cause they play a slow brand like the cats.

88d23a58eb723e7421843e11faa7a184.jpg

So does this mean we will get pick 1 in the umpire draft ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we’re paying that, then every tackle to ground should be paid too. That was just about as softly as you can hit the ground in a tackle.
Except that his head hit the ground. The push in the back rule has relaxed so much. Broad broke Toby Greene's shoulder when he landed on top of him, no free nothing. One thing that was always paid even in the rough and tough 80's was in the back, todays footballers would love that to be adjudicated the same today.

Not true. Push in the back has been a rule for 100 years but that wasn't a push in the back. They've been fiddling with "dangerous tackle" rules for the last few years. It's not an old rule and that tackle has been fine for most of the sport's history.
Disagree. Go watch the Richmond 1980 Premiership, as soon as someone goes near the back it was paid. The last 5 years there may as well not be the rule. Once it was perhaps the most common free kick you could get, now there are matches where you barely seen on.

Back