Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 27 30.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

have to admit this has been extraordinary - & even more frustratingly, it is making us undisciplined & becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy
This is the crux of the problem. You see the frustration on the players faces and they are doing a reasonable job to hold their tongue. But its gotta cause you to drop your head or not go quite as hard as you might otherwise knowing at the back of your mind if you are even 1% off in technique it will go against you. AFL is a game of inches between the top sides and thats all a side like bris need to come away with the win

I don't blame them for the final score, but first four goals to the lions were from free kicks, they missed a few frees in front of goal too. We don't get them the other way though. 6 frees to half time was a joke. Then the Zorko throw which was apparently in the back and they goal was the final straw. AFL don't like the way we play and we are getting punished for it.

Well, some curious facts…..

1. Our average free kick differential this year is of course the worst in the AFL at -6.9 free kicks per game. In 2021 we have 3 free kicks awarded against us roughly for every two we have awarded to us. I am pretty certain this is the WORST relative figure every recorded in the VFL/AFL. I have checked records back to the mid 1960’s and whilst there are missing free kick figures for several years in the 90’s for some reason, I could not find a team in a full season who had a worse relative differential than that.

2. This average absolute free kick differential of -6.9 is the worst any team has conceded since 1980, when, by coincidence, a certain humble little organisation called the Richmond Tigers Football Club recorded a free kick differential of -7.4. But at that time, there were roughly twice as many free kicks being paid so the current -6.9 differential is relatively way worse than even the diabolical 1980 differential.

3. It has been posited that Richmond genuinely infringe more than any other team so of course we would concede the most free kicks in the competition. I guess that could explain then why we given on average almost 5 free kicks per match more than say the Suns, Eagles or Bulldogs. So let us for a momemnt accept that we could possibly be the biggest infringers in the AFL. What then would be the odds of the team who is the biggest infringer also legitimately being the least infringed team? Because, you guessed it, we also receive the fewest free kicks on average of any team in the AFL in 2021.

4. Maybe we have played all the teams who happen to infringe the least and this is why our "free kicks for" count is so low…..as we know we rank highest for free kicks against, and we have played teams ranked 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 8th 10th 11th 14th 15th and 17th for free kicks conceded. So no, on average our opponents are above average free kick conceders…until they play us of course.

5. How often has the biggest free kick conceder also been adjudged the least infringed in an AFL season? Giants in 2019, but with a free kick differential of a mere -4, compared to our horrendous -6.9. Before that, it had never happened in 31 seasons of the AFL era. The last time was the 1972 Hawks, whose differential was in relative terms much lower than our 2021 differential.

So 18 club competition. If free kicks against and free kicks for were two factors that did not effect each other, then the odds of the same team conceding the most free kicks and also gaining the least free kicks would be 323 to 1.

Strange.

There. Is. Something. Going. On. Here.

Oh, and by the way, after his Richmond whingeing segment on First Crack post mach tonight, authorities advise that the use of completely unnecessary violence and threats against excited dobber Tom Morris has been approved. 😁

Last edited:
for the first time in my life, i am speechless

20-6 free's....in a half. even with us winning the tackle count 29-23

I was wondering if the had the money on half time fulltime but watching the third quarter they simply needed Brisbane to get the chocolates

Why was the person in white not named BOG??

Pickett's defence is he was punch drunk from the umpires

Last edited:
Well, some curious facts…..

1. Our average free kick differential this year is of course the worst in the AFL at -6.9 free kicks per game. In 2021 we have 3 free kicks awarded against us roughly for every two we have awarded to us. I am pretty certain this is the WORST relative figure every recorded in the VFL/AFL. I have checked records back to the mid 1960’s and whilst there are missing free kick figures for several years in the 90’s for some reason, I could not find a team in a full season who had a worse relative differential than that.

2. This average absolute free kick differential of -6.9 is the worst any team has conceded since 1980, when, by coincidence, a certain humble little organisation called the Richmond Tigers Football Club recorded a free kick differential of -7.4. But at that time, there were roughly twice as many free kicks being paid so the current -6.9 differential is relatively way worse than even the diabolical 1980 differential.

3. It has been posited that Richmond genuinely infringe more than any other team so of course we would concede the most free kicks in the competition. I guess that could explain then why we given on average almost 5 free kicks per match more than say the Suns, Eagles or Bulldogs. So let us for a momemnt accept that we could possibly be the biggest infringers in the AFL. What then would be the odds of the team who is the biggest infringer also legitimately being the least infringed team? Because, you guessed it, we also receive the fewest free kicks on average of any team in the AFL in 2021.

4. Maybe we have played all the teams who happen to infringe the least and this is why our "free kicks for" count is so low…..as we know we rank highest for free kicks against, and we have played teams ranked 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 8th 10th 11th 14th 15th and 17th for free kicks conceded. So no, on average our opponents are above average free kick conceders…until they play us of course.

5. How often has the biggest free kick conceder also been adjudged the least infringed in an AFL season? Giants in 2019, but with a free kick differential of a mere -4, compared to our horrendous -6.9. Before that, it had never happened in 31 seasons of the AFL era. The last time was the 1972 Hawks, whose differential was in relative terms much lower than our 2021 differential.

So 18 club competition. If free kicks against and free kicks for were two factors that did not effect each other, then the odds of the same team conceding the most free kicks and also gaining the least free kicks would be 323 to 1.

Strange.

There. Is. Something. Going. On. Here.

Oh, and by the way, after his Richmond whingeing segment on First Crack post mach tonight, authorities have stated that the use of completely unnecessary violence and threats against excited dobber Tom Morris has been approved. 😁
Some good analysis. But you're forgetting one thing. It's not how many are paid, it's where you get them that is important.This is often pointed out by oppos, and thankfully, I have some answers to refute this idiotic claim.

After 10 games this season, we have scored 13 goals from free kicks, and given away 25. In the last 5 games, we have kicked 3 goals from free kicks (given 9 away). In the same 5-game timeframe, Melbourne for example has kicked 12 goals from free kicks.

So we're not only getting reamed around the ground, we're also not getting many in front of goal, and are giving plenty away. Now some of these may be justified and some may not. In my experience watching, all of this tends to even out. The fact is we're simply not adjudicated to the same level as other teams.

That was infuriating to watch.if I hear frees don’t matter one more time I’ll spew up. They can also result is direct shots on goal and 50 meter penalties. A free kick is like winning a contested possession which is so highly regarded in football. It’s a clearance from a contest so any knuckle head that thinks they are irrelevant is dreaming.

I don't blame them for the final score, but first four goals to the lions were from free kicks, they missed a few frees in front of goal too. We don't get them the other way though. 6 frees to half time was a joke. Then the Zorko throw which was apparently in the back and they goal was the final straw. AFL don't like the way we play and we are getting punished for it.
You don't blame them for the final score then you go on as to what they did. We were killing them and they took our game away. Only changed after they fried us really well, some decisions were out of this world it's beginning to be a total farce. Marlon gets hit in the head keeps playing only to do what he coped with the follow-up, so he is the bad guy cause the lions player play the dead game and got reported I mean wtf.
The umpires love it so much when Jack was having a word to the bald one he couldn't hide his delight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I refuse to watch the replay.

Brisbane where deprived of the opportunity to beat us fair and square by the umpiring intervention

If I was given notice the umpiring was going to do this I would not have turned the TV on. Its so disheartening when the players put the work in to try and better themselves on the footy field

Heard that Chris Fagan had to leave his presser early last night.

Had to drive the umps home to their hotel
......dropped by Dan's on the way and bought them each a bottle of Glenfiddich 25
......took them out to a late night dinner

Invites to all to add to this, given that a bit of humour is what we all need after last night.

Heard that Chris Fagan had to leave his presser early last night.

Had to drive the umps home to their hotel
......dropped by Dan's on the way and bought them each a bottle of Glenfiddich 25
......took them out to a late night dinner

Invites to all to add to this, given that a bit of humour is what we all need after last night.
What a great bloke he is, not enough of them in this world lol

New rule out! You have one second after a mark-free whatever to get rid of the ball otherwise it's play on lol They were quick on the draw last night.

Your not wrong.
So many times our players LOOKED in board but didn’t physically move in that direction and the umps would call it in anticipation.

It actually throws your F50 entries out of wack when you literally have to bomb it forward after an unexpected play on call.

Back