Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 26 32.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Might want to change the rose coloured lenses in your glasses.

We played poorly in the last quarter, unforced turnovers see Broad blindly hacking it out of the goal square, easy targets missed see Vlastuin to Pickett, stupid 50m penalty by & deliberate out of bounds by Baker, Edwards passing off when he should have taken his 30 seconds and had a shot. All that gave the Eagles the momentum to run down a 4 goal lead.

Blaming the umpiring is the easy way out.

complaining about the players and team is what everyone is doing in the gameday, roast n toast or player threads. this thread is specifically for melting about garbage umpiring (or praising them which has actually happened once or twice)

it's not wrong for marcel to say we would've won without the reaming we copped by the umps in the 4th. it's also not wrong to say we would've won without playing like s**t in the 4th, one or the other would've got us the win. but this thread is for ump talk and they certainly had a shocker in the pressure of the 4th on sunday

Completely disagree. Umpiring cost us that match. Each team made mistakes under pressure, each team did some amazing things. One team got the rub of the free green 25-15 ... that team won. That is blaming the umpires and rightfully so.
The general theme from most, me included, is that our loss was a combination of our mistakes, their accuracy AND some home ground umpiring.
It is certainly one that got away.
complaining about the players and team is what everyone is doing in the gameday, roast n toast or player threads. this thread is specifically for melting about garbage umpiring (or praising them which has actually happened once or twice)

it's not wrong for marcel to say we would've won without the reaming we copped by the umps in the 4th. it's also not wrong to say we would've won without playing like sh*t in the 4th, one or the other would've got us the win. but this thread is for ump talk and they certainly had a shocker in the pressure of the 4th on sunday
Free kicks in the last quarter were 10-7
Clangers in the last quarter were 12-21

As I said IMO it wasn't the umpiring that lost us the game, but our own poor play. If it was the home town umpiring that caused us to lose then explain how in the second & third quarters we kicked 7.7 to 5.3 despite the free kicks being 9-3 in those 2 quarters.

Might want to change the rose coloured lenses in your glasses.

We played poorly in the last quarter, unforced turnovers see Broad blindly hacking it out of the goal square, easy targets missed see Vlastuin to Pickett, stupid 50m penalty by & deliberate out of bounds by Baker, Edwards passing off when he should have taken his 30 seconds and had a shot. All that gave the Eagles the momentum to run down a 4 goal lead.

Blaming the umpiring is the easy way out.

I didn't say Richmond played well but if you really cannot see how much the woeful maggot display influenced the 4th then idk what to tell ya

I didn't say Richmond played well but if you really cannot see how much the woeful maggot display influenced the 4th then idk what to tell ya
Frees were 10-7 in the last quarter. We were outscored 5.3 to 3.0. Possessions were 82-73 contested possessions were 38-32. The umpires weren't the difference in the outcome.

As I said IMO it wasn't the umpiring that lost us the game, but our own poor play. If it was the home town umpiring that caused us to lose then explain how in the second & third quarters we kicked 7.7 to 5.3 despite the free kicks being 9-3 in those 2 quarters.
That’s all well and good RT and a reasonable way of rationalising a loss , However Richmond’s unforced errors and umpiring howlers are mutually exclusive. Just because Edwards played on instead of soaking up the clock doesn’t mean its acceptable the umpires missed a clear block in the goal sq or a pass <15m. It shouldn’t be too much to ask for a competent umpiring display

How Ironic not a even mention by the AFL about that 15m kick by no means we lost the game ourselves 100% , but that goal sealed it nothing else to call it but cheating how many games has poor decisions cost teams this year umpires are protected species by the afl.In soccer referees a questioned and sceptical to criticism not here always hear BS there's not enough umpires , they have a hard job , junior levels etc etc load of crap nothing but a joke any job your accountable.

That’s all well and good RT and a reasonable way of rationalising a loss , However Richmond’s unforced errors and umpiring howlers are mutually exclusive. Just because Edwards played on instead of soaking up the clock doesn’t mean its acceptable the umpires missed a clear block in the goal sq or a pass <15m. It shouldn’t be too much to ask for a competent umpiring display
If we played better in the last quarter the missed block or short mark wouldn't have made a lick of difference. As I said in the middle 2 quarters when the free kick count was much more lopsided we outscored the Eagles and had effectively set up a match winning lead midway through the last but went on to blow it because we played s**t footy in the second half of the last quarter giving away a stupid 50m penalty, then a deliberate out of bounds not long after than were momentum changers. But lets all just blame the umpires instead of stopping and thinking that the team were actually to blame.

Haha... you’re just as stubborn as mopsy.
😛

Haha... you’re just as stubborn as mopsy.
😛
That's all well and good but instead of taking a cheap shot, why not try and answer the question.

If the umpiring cost us the game, why were we able to outscore the Eagles when the umpiring was even more one sided than the last quarter, but weren't able to hold the lead in the last when the free kick count was pretty much even?

That's all well and good but instead of taking a cheap shot, why not try and answer the question.

If the umpiring cost us the game, why were we able to outscore the Eagles when the umpiring was even more one sided than the last quarter, but weren't able to hold the lead in the last when the free kick count was pretty much even?
Geez, RT, lighten up...

Two decisions cost the game.

First at the very beginning - the CCJ not paid directly in front - 6 points gone.

At the end of the game - Castagna has two teammates waving their arms all alone in F50 and he being the dumbest footballer ever to grace the field, kicks it directly to the defender standing 15 m out from goal on his own.

In between was a great game to watch ( Ok technically the last decision was wrong too, but I didn't at the time think it was tbh)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It'S nOt HoW mAnY FrEEs yoU geT bUt wHeRe yoU geT tHeM!!" - every oppo supporter in existence.

Well tell them:

Relative to the amount of goals we kick and concede, Richmond’s opponents are in season 2021 being awarded 16.5 free kicks that directly result in goals for every 10 free kicks Richmond are awarded that directly result in goals. Because if the figures presented by Do the Dew are correct, then that is the true picture about “where you get them."

Well tell them:

Relative to the amount of goals we kick and concede, Richmond’s opponents are in season 2021 being awarded 16.5 free kicks that directly result in goals for every 10 free kicks Richmond are awarded that directly result in goals. Because if the figures presented by Do the Dew are correct, then that is the true picture about “where you get them."
Hey man, don't doubt my numbers :tongueout:. Obviously all you can do is take me at my word, whatever that's worth, but I guarantee that they're accurate.

And these are just goals directly from free kicks. i.e.
1) player gets a free kick and kicks the goal, or
2) player gets a free kick, teammate takes advantage and kicks a goal

I didn't include scenarios like if a player gets a free kick inside 50, and passes off to a teammate who then slots it.

And just for some trivia, the game with the most outrageous stat this year was Carlton v Freo in Round 3. Calrton kicked 7 of their 16 goals from frees, to Freo's 1 of 9. Carlton this year (excluding Rd 12 which I haven't counted yet) have kicked 34 goals from frees, and only 17 against. This means that 25% of all their goals this year come DIRECTLY from frees. Mental. If you ever hear a Blues fan whinge about the umpiring, give them this stat and then tell them to * off.

Hey man, don't doubt my numbers :tongueout:. Obviously all you can do is take me at my word, whatever that's worth, but I guarantee that they're accurate.

And these are just goals directly from free kicks. i.e.
1) player gets a free kick and kicks the goal, or
2) player gets a free kick, teammate takes advantage and kicks a goal

I didn't include scenarios like if a player gets a free kick inside 50, and passes off to a teammate who then slots it.

And just for some trivia, the game with the most outrageous stat this year was Carlton v Freo in Round 3. Calrton kicked 7 of their 16 goals from frees, to Freo's 1 of 9. Carlton this year (excluding Rd 12 which I haven't counted yet) have kicked 34 goals from frees, and only 17 against. This means that 25% of all their goals this year come DIRECTLY from frees. Mental. If you ever hear a Blues fan whinge about the umpiring, give them this stat and then tell them to fu** off.

Have you dropped all those goals from free kicks stats into this thread somewhere DtD? If not can you provide them for every team please?

Have you dropped all those goals from free kicks stats into this thread somewhere DtD? If not can you provide them for every team please?
Nah it's coming though. Hopefully in a week or so. Will start a new thread once it's compiled. I've got a couple more rounds to look at still.

It's an extremely tedious process that includes watching every match highlights, then watching back the goals that weren't shown, and then double-checking some of the goals where the lead up or finish wasn't shown. Some clubs are extremely helpful in posting all of their goals from a match on their youtube channels, but the majority don't do this.

If only Champion Data released stats, or the shithouse stats page on the AFL website was actually useful...

It’s not only the frees against but also the frees for which don’t get paid our way in which a stat can’t be shown. How many times do you see opposition forwards get Christmas presents for holding while up the other end our forwards are put in a sleeper hold and it’s called play on. Its almost funny how badly we are umpired .

I don't usually watch other teams play, I may have watched 2 games other than ours. Yesterday pointed out something that I thought was just us. The same crap Ryan kicks to Kennedy went like 8 mtrs paid. Dropping the ball so many times nothing given. Perfect tackle's nothing given. Some free given what a joke.
So the conclusion is the AFL has totally F----d this game. I don't think umpires are deliberately doing things except that Deboy, it is just so many rules they can't even comprehend what is right and wrong.

Back