Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 46 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 29 31.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again Richmond the only team that has had an umpires call overturned from insufficient evidence.

Give us our 2022 flag campaigners.

BT made a comment JUST after the video had the proof May's fingers touched the ball - so the Umps VERY quickly bounced the ball in the center. Why have the tech if the AFL abuse it ?

Just like the "snicko meter" magically works ONLY against us, but it is "offline" for other teams...

Once again Richmond the only team that has had an umpires call overturned from insufficient evidence.

Give us our 2022 flag campaigners.
I have never seen a club get sucked off by the league and umps as much as carltoon is this year

everything that should not be going their way is going their way

Might not like the man, but Chris Scott raised some decent arguments in his post match presser:
  • With the way coaches have started to tell players to protect the head when tackling, umps aren't umpiring it that way, Whether or not umpiring should change to reflect this is another argument, but what used to be HTB or ball up when a player is tackled and then dragged to the ground, is now players being tackled and then spun 720 degrees before then being able to dispose the ball.
  • As far as I know, AFL is the only sport where advantage is signalled by the blowing of a whistle. In European football, referees will always let play go on for a few seconds before determining if the play should be pulled back, and apparently it can be longer in rugby. AFL is pretty much the only sport where advantage isn't determined by whether or not the play does turn out to be advantageous or not (final play in the grand final last season just one example), and that a whistle is used to signal it.

Last edited:

I was watching the game last night and Willie Rioli gave away a x2 50m penalties.
Love to know exactly what the rule is ie can players run to the side of a player that’s been given 50m or do they just need to get the * out of the way?
I reckon we’ve had a few of these - Marlion, Shai and Grimes come to mind.
It’s really frustrating to see happen, and much as we bag umps, surely players should be aware of it and just move aside after giving away the first 50.

Last edited:
Yeah Yze definitely needs to speak up the next time we get mauled by the umps, which wont be too far away. Chris Scott has no problems doing it and good on him too. Yze needs to find his balls in a presser at the next appropriate time

Chris Scott complaining about umpires no fine no nothing gets praised , meanwhile RFC. Crickets

Might not like the man, but Chris Scott raised some decent arguments in his post match presser:
  • With the way coaches have started to tell players to protect the head when tackling, umps aren't umpiring it that way, Whether or not umpiring should change to reflect this is another argument, but what used to be HTB or ball up when a player is tackled and then dragged to the ground, is now players being tackled and then spun 720 degrees before then being able to dispose the ball.
  • As far as I know, AFL is the only sport where advantage is signalled by the blowing of a whistle. In European football, referees will always let play go on for a few seconds before determining if the play should be pulled back, and apparently it can be longer in rugby. AFL is pretty much the only sport where advantage isn't determined by whether or not the play does turn out to be advantageous or not (final play in the grand final last season just one example), and that a whistle is used to signal it.
I thought what he said was smart, articulate and definately would have hit home at the AFL. Whether or not you like him he is a 13 year AFL coach. That will give him a bit more leeway to say something than Adem Yze who has been coaching for a few months and missed out on numerous jobs prior. Now, Yze will get a similar question to Scott tonight but he will dead bat it. I have no issue with that. Nothing wrong with self preservation in his position. What I wouldn't like to see is Longmire/Simpson/Hinkley/Goodwin/Fagan etc. dead batting them (yes, a few have had their press conferences already). The guys that have been in a job for a while can put a bit of pressure on the AFL so long as they do it articulately like Scott did.

It's almost pointless now for Richmond to take up the cause of the poor umpiring. The wider AFL community needs to take up the fight so I applaud Scott for what he said.

I was watching the game last night and Willie Rioli gave away a x2 50m penalties.
Love to know exactly what the rule is ie can players run to the side of a player that’s been given 50m or do they just need to get the * out of the way?
I reckon we’ve had a few of these - Marlion, Shai and Grimes come to mind.
It’s really frustrating to see happen, and much as we bag umps, surely players should be aware of it and just move aside after giving away the first 50.

Get the fck out of the way.

I think technically, it's seen as "slowing the play down", since the player with the ball can play on at any time they want as they're marched to where the 50m is, and if a player is running just ahead of them or just to the side of them, umps can interpret that as impeding the opponent or whatever its described as in the rules.

Get the fck out of the way.

I think technically, it's seen as "slowing the play down", since the player with the ball can play on at any time they want as they're marched to where the 50m is, and if a player is running just ahead of them or just to the side of them, umps can interpret that as impeding the opponent or whatever its described as in the rules.
As Dimma once said to Caddy.

"Get the heck out of the way Josh you dumb campaigner".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back