Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 33 33.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This attitude doesn't change the bias. If your attitude towards the problem changes if Richmond was on top of the free kick differential ladder rather than on the bottom, then you are part of the problem.

You think the umpires are umpiring poorly and showing clear bias against Richmond due to my attitude towards them whilst sitting in my loungeroom?

If so, :drunk:

What was everyone’s favourite free or non-call against us this week?

Laverde given 14 chances to come back to the mark with Dusty 55m to goal with a minute left to go sticks out in my mind. Special mentions: Durham’s unrealistic attempt being called play on and Vlastuin being cleaned up as he kicked but no free (I recall a certain free kick to Serong with Mansell barely laying a finger on him).

Laverde given 14 chances to come back to the mark with Dusty 55m to goal with a minute left to go sticks out in my mind. Special mentions: Durham’s unrealistic attempt being called play on and Vlastuin being cleaned up as he kicked but no free (I recall a certain free kick to Serong with Mansell barely laying a finger on him).
So hard to choose a favourite!!!

I think special mention mention to guelfi (finger nail polish guy) for back chatting and not getting 50 against him and McKay for fumbling the ball out of bounce in our forward pocket after martin had flicked the ball back to keep it in play.

You think the umpires are umpiring poorly and showing clear bias against Richmond due to my attitude towards them whilst sitting in my loungeroom?

If so, :drunk:
No, I think that you don't actually care about fair umpiring and the integrity of the sport, and are just whining about how Richmond is treated. It is contributing to the problem because it puts blame on the wrong party, which doesn't result in the change needed.

No, I think that you don't actually care about fair umpiring and the integrity of the sport, and are just whining about how Richmond is treated. It is contributing to the problem because it puts blame on the wrong party, which doesn't result in the change needed.

You think the umpires have not been biased against Richmond these last 7-8 years? We have been bottom of the free kick differential in 6 of the last 8 seasons, 17th once and 13th the other time from memory. So if you did an exercise where you awarded a team 18 points for finishing 18th on the free kick differential, 17 points for finishing 17th right down to 1 point for finishing 1st, we would I think be on 138 of a possible 144 points. The AFL average would be 72 points. The most favoured team might be 35-40 points and the second least favoured team might be about 95 points. In fact, for this thread, at some point I will do exactly that exercise. Because if, as you suggest, we can make this problem just ever so slightly worse by mentioning it then we will be in the superb position of knowing it cannot possibly get any worse and it can only get better from there. Which is what we all want. :)

That is a separate but somewhat strongly related issue to the general integrity of the sport. But I would be intrigued to know how you think a Richmond supporter noticing the biased umpiring against Richmond somehow contributes to it.

We have won the free kick count once this year, by a solitary free kick. And lost it 10 times, often by double figures. Now did you watch the 11 games and not noticing the free kick count think to yourself, jeez, Richmond players play football in such a way that infringes the rules about 45% more often than the opposition teams do? Because from where I sit, I don't seem to notice that bit. What I do seem to notice is the vast majority of the free kicks we get paid are not marginal, and a whole lot of the ones we give away are marginal. Funny about that.

But at least we know what causes it now. Us noticing it and mentioning it is a part of the problem it seems. If only we didn't notice it or mention it, then it would never happen.

Last edited:
In 3 of the last 4 seasons, Richmond's opponents have infringed less against Richmond than any other team's opponents infringed against them, and in the 4th of those 4 seasons we were within about 1 extra free kick for the whole season of taking the least infringed against title again.

All clubs draw their opponents from the same pool. All teams are playing the same game, allegedly to the same rules, and largely, in the same manner. And yet coincidentally, in this era the same pool of opponents somehow magically infringes less against Richmond than it does against any other team. Consistently.

Remarkable that.

Stop ****ing cheating campaigners.

I had a Carlton supporter sitting next to me tonight and was just as bewildered as I was, I even heard him on the phone to mate and he said the umps were pushing for an essendon win

We agreed on the non calls and easy ones to the bombers so at least oppo supporters can see it too

In 3 of the last 4 seasons, Richmond's opponents have infringed less against Richmond than any other team's opponents infringed against them, and in the 4th of those 4 seasons we were within about 1 extra free kick for the whole season of taking the least infringed against title again.

All clubs draw their opponents from the same pool. All teams are playing the same game, allegedly to the same rules, and largely, in the same manner. And yet coincidentally, in this era the same pool of opponents somehow magically infringes less against Richmond than it does against any other team. Consistently.

Remarkable that.

Stop ******* cheating campaigners.
this is the stat that needs to be flagged, not the perceived sooky 'we get less free kicks' that the media leads with.
the fact that other teams defy the rules of probability and consistently infringe significantly less when playing against us.
all things being equal it's almost mathematically impossible for this to occur without the presence of bias.

this is the stat that needs to be flagged, not the perceived sooky 'we get less free kicks' that the media leads with.
the fact that other teams defy the rules of probability and consistently infringe significantly less when playing against us.
all things being equal it's almost mathematically impossible for this to occur without the presence of bias.
Oppo coaches probably instruct their players with "grab" "throw" "do what ever you f..king like" because odds on you won't get pinged for it

Oppo coaches probably instruct their players with "grab" "throw" "do what ever you f..king like" because odds on you won't get pinged for it
no doubt. and we know for a fact oppo teams train how to milk frees. how often do you see our players duck and dive or drop the knees when tackled from behind. it does happen, but oppo teams do it instinctively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is ever gonna happen the club is weak as piss on this subject , CFL don’t care either , I mean even Rodney Eade said we should ask for explanation but nobody does s**t
The Club does ask...behind closed doors...not out in the open in the Media...to reduce the perceived impression of not only being a losing side but a whinging one also!

Last night I watched the game from GOAT's kick for goal!
We were comfortably in the game and could have been leading except for some very bad handling/fumbling of the footy!
And then it slowly turned...the umpire down their forward line started paying the odd free kick for them...and we then became out marked and were extinguished at the half way mark...
Another ordinary free kick paid to them with 5 min to go to half time...I switched off the tv...Draft Picks safe!!!

You think the umpires have not been biased against Richmond these last 7-8 years? We have been bottom of the free kick differential in 6 of the last 8 seasons, 17th once and 13th the other time from memory. So if you did an exercise where you awarded a team 18 points for finishing 18th on the free kick differential, 17 points for finishing 17th right down to 1 point for finishing 1st, we would I think be on 138 of a possible 144 points. The AFL average would be 72 points. The most favoured team might be 35-40 points and the second least favoured team might be about 95 points. In fact, for this thread, at some point I will do exactly that exercise. Because if, as you suggest, we can make this problem just ever so slightly worse by mentioning it then we will be in the superb position of knowing it cannot possibly get any worse and it can only get better from there. Which is what we all want. :)

That is a separate but somewhat strongly related issue to the general integrity of the sport. But I would be intrigued to know how you think a Richmond supporter noticing the biased umpiring against Richmond somehow contributes to it.

We have won the free kick count once this year, by a solitary free kick. And lost it 10 times, often by double figures. Now did you watch the 11 games and not noticing the free kick count think to yourself, jeez, Richmond players play football in such a way that infringes the rules about 45% more often than the opposition teams do? Because from where I sit, I don't seem to notice that bit. What I do seem to notice is the vast majority of the free kicks we get paid are not marginal, and a whole lot of the ones we give away are marginal. Funny about that.

But at least we know what causes it now. Us noticing it and mentioning it is a part of the problem it seems. If only we didn't notice it or mention it, then it would never happen.
Umpires are biased against Richmond but the problem isn't just a Richmond problem, it is the fact that the rules are so open to interpretation that it is almost impossible for umpires to have bias in the first place, intentionally or not.

Tell me another professional sport that has such a clusterf*** set of rules like the AFL. No successful sport has a massively controversial game impacting umpiring decision each week like the AFL.

The holding the ball rulings are baffling. Watching the games the last few weeks and it's getting worse.

Head of umpiring should be sacked immediately for being an incompetent sack of s**t. Ruining the game.
It’s directives from Laura

Integrity are you for real this Organisation that runs the rort has no ****ing integrity , you’re another dumb Australian who believes in whiter than white sporting officials , oh that’s right the umpires ONLY bet on brownlow votes that they give…..

Umpires are biased against Richmond but the problem isn't just a Richmond problem, it is the fact that the rules are so open to interpretation that it is almost impossible for umpires to have bias in the first place, intentionally or not.

Tell me another professional sport that has such a clusterf*** set of rules like the AFL. No successful sport has a massively controversial game impacting umpiring decision each week like the AFL.
It isn’t a sport anymore it’s a betting Organisation

They want this to become the norm
I had a Carlton supporter sitting next to me tonight and was just as bewildered as I was, I even heard him on the phone to mate and he said the umps were pushing for an essendon win

We agreed on the non calls and easy ones to the bombers so at least oppo supporters can see it too
My mum follows Collingwood and she reckons we are getting robbed by the umpires.
Oppos know but the haters will hide it under the carpet like the diaharea blowers at SEN.

The stand rule which was invented because of Richmond has an entirely different interpretation when applied to Richmond.
We get the hubble telescope version where if Richmond players move a smidge off their line,they get penalised while the oppo players get the relaxed version where players are brought back to their line by the umps.

Shai Bolton last night,one of the worse decisions but hardly surprising it's against Richmond.

We cop these decisions every week.

AFL want this to become the norm.

Pies fan Laura Kane fat shaming Molloy on The Front Bar when he brought up the ridiculously negative free kick differential.

Dimma copped that at Tigerland.

Take him to the Suns with his gamestyle and guess what happens?

Dimma now getting an all you can eat free kick buffet.

YZE,now he's a Richmond coach,copping the rorts from the umpires.

When will this ever stop?

Then the Pies who have ONE dodgy free go against them,make the headlines on paper and radio after still winning the free count.

Richmond can't even buy a free kick when they go to Freo.

I think we are the only team in World Sports that does not have a home advantage.

Pies get a home advantage away from home.

Laura Kane? Over to you!

Why are Richmond still being shafted by the umps?

I counted 5 goals where umpire involvement had a huge effect on Essendon goals last night.

That was at half time ffs.

Anyway,this year ,the more the umps shaft us,it goes to our favour.

The main statistic where the umpires have been shown up is Dimm'as fre kick tally now while not being at Tigerland.

He had 13 frees to 2 against Carlton lol of all teams.

Do you think Dimma at Tigerland would ever get a 13 to 2 free kick count against Carlton?

Not in a hundred years.

Nothing is ever gonna happen the club is weak as piss on this subject , CFL don’t care either , I mean even Rodney Eade said we should ask for explanation but nobody does s**t
voss is lodging a complaint

The "open to interpretation" is exactly why corruption and bias is very possible in the AFL. It's not just a possibility, it's happening.
they want that full bore so they can cheat easier for desired outcomes

The stand rule which was invented because of Richmond has an entirely different interpretation when applied to Richmond.
We get the hubble telescope version where if Richmond players move a smidge off their line,they get penalised while the oppo players get the relaxed version where players are brought back to their line by the umps.

Shai Bolton last night,one of the worse decisions but hardly surprising it's against Richmond.

We cop these decisions every week.

AFL want this to become the norm.

Pies fan Laura Kane fat shaming Molloy on The Front Bar when he brought up the ridiculously negative free kick differential.

Dimma copped that at Tigerland.

Take him to the Suns with his gamestyle and guess what happens?

Dimma now getting an all you can eat free kick buffet.

YZE,now he's a Richmond coach,copping the rorts from the umpires.

When will this ever stop?

Then the Pies who have ONE dodgy free go against them,make the headlines on paper and radio after still winning the free count.

Richmond can't even buy a free kick when they go to Freo.

I think we are the only team in World Sports that does not have a home advantage.

Pies get a home advantage away from home.

Laura Kane? Over to you!

Why are Richmond still being shafted by the umps?

I counted 5 goals where umpire involvement had a huge effect on Essendon goals last night.

That was at half time ffs.

Anyway,this year ,the more the umps shaft us,it goes to our favour.

The main statistic where the umpires have been shown up is Dimm'as fre kick tally now while not being at Tigerland.

He had 13 frees to 2 against Carlton lol of all teams.

Do you think Dimma at Tigerland would ever get a 13 to 2 free kick count against Carlton?

Not in a hundred years.
watch the umps start gifting us as players start coming back so we finish with a few wins making us 15th with a shite pick

Back