Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
The umpiring in our game is a disgrace, the 25th umpire they’ve introduced this year clearly isn’t working, there are just so many points to make, they aren’t backing each other up, they are flatly refusing to override a wrong call, last week we had a player instantly tackled in his defensive 50 and got boot to ball, the ball actually went 15 mtrs off his boot, HTB, resulted in a goal (that’s a fking biggie) tonight we had Razor Ray looking for some airtime with his repeated 50s against Stephenson, thing is, Stephenson’s actions were no different to 30 other incidents that happened, was clear as day Ray doesn’t like him, if Gawn had did it no 50 would be paid, and I bet my left nut on that.

Why are you allowed to Shepard a mark in the goal square, I’ve read the rules, there is nothing in there, umpires discretion? FMD.

Things aren’t getting better, they’re getting worse, pretty sure AFL is the only professional sporting comp in the world that bans coaches publicly questioning umpire decisions, these guys are on good coin and as far as I can tell have zero accountability, Razor should be benched for his actions last night but we all know he won’t, he’ll just have a little giggle about with the umpire boss and move on and be given a GF gig.

• Banned
Don't get me started.
Nice to see the C7 commentary team blatantly refuse to question one umpiring decision, guess we now know Carey was right, not bagging the umpires is written into the TV rights contract.

Had to laugh at that decision in the Dogs forward pocket, controlling umpire says "play on" before the other one calls HTB. Whether it was correct or not isn't the issue, it's that the play had already been progressed by the controlling ump and should have been allowed to continue. Even the commentators were bemused.

2 umpires who both stay in a narrow corridor in the middle of the ground like soccer, if the free isn't obvious en8ugh to be seen from 30 metres away don't pay it. Simple. Better for 10 soft frees go unpaid than 1 incorrect 'holding the man' or whatever 10 metres out from goal

Umpiring is in a terrible state.

The AFL continue to add rules and refine definitions, seemingly with the intent to reduce stoppages and keep the ball moving. All that does is frustrate fans and make the umpires job harder.

So they add another umpire which only serves to dilute the consistency of the decision making further.

Simplification is needed.

The problem also is that there is no head umpire, if an ump makes a decision to give a free that's it, it can't be changed.

Their should be a head ump on the filed with overrule power.

We might also consider having a challenge system for frees in goal scoring situations. It wont help for frees in general play but at least it might start to mitigate the shocking calls that directly result in goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learnt: umpiring goes against Collingwood for 1 game and the Vic media want a royal commission.
Hated: when it happens to non Vic teams (regularly) there's crickets from that side of the fence.
Pretty much standard, unfortunately. If you listen to the commentary from ex Vic club players and also look at a myriad of other factors you’ll see it’s completely one sided. We had the free kick debacle in the 16 & 17 GF that turned the games giving drought breaking flags to those clubs.

It’s a national competition yet it’s totally geared to Victorian clubs. We’ve had two non Vic premiers since 2010. Some good Victorian sides in that time, no doubt, but we desperately need another non Victorian premier. Let’s hope Brisbane salutes this year even if Melbourne can’t. I’d love nothing more than to see Melbourne beat Collingwood, but that isn’t happening.

Alright i feel the time has come to add my two cents on umpiring.

I'm not to advocate abusing the umpires, it's really not on especially at the lower levels of the game. A lot of us say that umpires are human and are prone to mistakes obviously, there's no denying that. For that saying the work though the umpires need to show they're human, it's a tough gig no doubt but a little bit of common sense. Last night De Goey being penalised for deliberate while trying to avoid his teammate being taken from the ground was nothing short of disgraceful, another instance being making a clearly concussed Spargo stand the mark after getting caught holding the ball. Where's the common sense? Yes the sticktest following of the rules i understand that those are both there. It's not in the spirit of the game, or even the spirit of umpiring.

If you want the footballing public to treat you as humans you got to make human decisions. The two cases i've highlighted not only failed at that, but just lack any common decency. Umpiring is about enforcing the rules, but a lot of rules exist to protect the players which is what umpires should worry about more first and foremost than applying interpretations

Learnt: umpiring goes against Collingwood for 1 game and the Vic media want a royal commission.
Hated: when it happens to non Vic teams (regularly) there's crickets from that side of the fence.
The free kick count in the Crows v Collingwood game was 28:18
The free kcick count in the Saints v Port game was 28:14

Yes the Fogarty non decision stood out like dogs balls, but yeah, the double standards are stark.

Pretty much standard, unfortunately. If you listen to the commentary from ex Vic club players and also look at a myriad of other factors you’ll see it’s completely one sided. We had the free kick debacle in the 16 & 17 GF that turned the games giving drought breaking flags to those clubs.

It’s a national competition yet it’s totally geared to Victorian clubs. We’ve had two non Vic premiers since 2010. Some good Victorian sides in that time, no doubt, but we desperately need another non Victorian premier. Let’s hope Brisbane salutes this year even if Melbourne can’t. I’d love nothing more than to see Melbourne beat Collingwood, but that isn’t happening.

Completely and totally disagree. Especially about the 2016 Grand final. It's become some article of faith that Sydney were just robbed blind. I'd like to see something approaching evidence for that. The Dogs won that fair and square and got better as it wore on. Same with Richmond the following year. Anyone who watched that game and thought Adelaide were somehow unlucky was watching another game on another planet. The 8 goal margin if anything flattered them.

Last edited:
To all those who continuously criticize the umpires, if you think YOU know the rules better than them then here is your chance to prove it.

Metropolitan football leagues around Melbourne (and I am sure the rest of Australia as well) are desperately short of umpires. Every week we see heaps of games without field, goal and boundary umpires.

They need all you experts NOW.

For a start, the WRFL is running clinics for new umpires Monday nights.

COME & TRY UMPIRING | WRFL

Give it a try and you'll have a whole new understanding of how difficult this game is to umpire.

Completely and totally disagree. Especially about the 2016 Grand final. It's become some article of faith that Sydney were just robbed blind. I'd like to see something approaching evidence for that. The Dogs won that fair and square and got better as it wore on. Same with Richmond the following year. Anyone who watched that game and thought Adelaide were somehow unlucky was watching another game on another planet. The 8 goal margin if anything flattered them.

Looks like you can lead with your head down and run into a guy to get a free kick again.
Thought they changed this to making it prior op, not lately.

Adelaide got ahsolutely flogged by 8 *ing goals and we're blaming the umpire FMD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back