Uncommon/unpopular gaming opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats 2 AAA titles...The rest?

Outside of annual sports releases I don't think there are any other annual AAA titles.

Halo 1 is the worst of the series, the flood being introduced is the point where the game just falls apart and becomes a clear out waves of enemies before moving to the next area, rinse and repeat. Less said about having to revisit a certain area but in reverse, the better. First half of the game is solid though.

This shouldn't be uncommon or unpopular since it's correct. Halo 1 hasn't aged anywhere near as well as the other games in the series though it was a pretty remarkable achievement at the time.

Might need to elaborate so we understand your tastes and position.

Ok so to demonstrate, I scanned an average list of 'Most Anticipated Games of 2016'

Far Cry Primal
No Man's Sky
Untitled Legend of Zelda
XCOM 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mirror's Edge
The Division
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Uncharted 4
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
Crackdown 3
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV
Gears of War 4
Homefront: The Revolution
Horizon: Zero Dawn
LawBreakers
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Mass Effect: Andromeda
ReCore
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian

I am anticipating three, maybe four of those (one of which is due to intense personal bias and nostalgia which I cannot look past). It just looks like the games industry is churning out more of the same. Sequels and reboots aplenty in there. Mainstream stuff is mostly rehashed junk but people refuse to wake up to it. Some of this stuff used to be interesting but now we're really just consumers of whatever the industry wants to slide under our noses as we continue to eat from the trough. Hmm, that came out sounding much harsher and more critical than I intended but I'll roll with it.

Ok so to demonstrate, I scanned an average list of 'Most Anticipated Games of 2016'

Far Cry Primal
No Man's Sky
Untitled Legend of Zelda
XCOM 2
Mirror's Edge
The Division
Uncharted 4
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
Crackdown 3
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV
Gears of War 4
LawBreakers
ReCore
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian

I am anticipating three, maybe four of those (one of which is due to intense personal bias and nostalgia which I cannot look past). It just looks like the games industry is churning out more of the same. Sequels and reboots aplenty in there. Mainstream stuff is mostly rehashed junk but people refuse to wake up to it. Some of this stuff used to be interesting but now we're really just consumers of whatever the industry wants to slide under our noses as we continue to eat from the trough. Hmm, that came out sounding much harsher and more critical than I intended but I'll roll with it.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

Someone will say something about gamers not wanting something new or unique and the sales for those types of games being the pits. (Not because I disagree but because they will say it better than this)

i saw 'far cry primal' on the side of a bus yesterday. i had never heard of it before and that says it all. i used to play far cry, now that is just the same to me as some movie on the side of a bus i'll never watch. these brands became gigantic and now they are much bigger than video games.

Far Cry Primal
No Man's Sky
Untitled Legend of Zelda
XCOM 2
Mirror's Edge
The Division
Uncharted 4
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
Crackdown 3
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV
Gears of War 4
LawBreakers
ReCore
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian

I'm pretty sure it's been this way for the best part of 15 to 20 years. The only difference between now and then is that the consumer is now better educated and there is fewer cheap movie tie-ins. At least we now have the indie industry, which continues to try new and interesting concepts.

I'm a bit over seeing the Xbox or Playstation deals with their online subscriber feature being all these crappy platform games. If I wanted to platform I'd hook up the SNES. It is 2016 ffs.
You don't know how to Mario I guess.

You freaking bastards killed Banjo and Kazooie and Rareware. Bastards. BASTARDS!

Far Cry Primal
No Man's Sky
Untitled Legend of Zelda
XCOM 2
Mirror's Edge
The Division
Uncharted 4
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
Crackdown 3
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV
Gears of War 4
LawBreakers
ReCore
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian

There's only 5 that I'm excited for, and two I'd no doubt get when cheaper, the others I can easily miss.

Far Cry Primal
No Man's Sky
Untitled Legend of Zelda
XCOM 2
Mirror's Edge
The Division
Uncharted 4
Street Fighter V
Quantum Break
Crackdown 3
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV
Gears of War 4
LawBreakers
ReCore
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian

I'm excited for 8 of those: Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, FFXV, Deus Ex, No Man Sky, Horizon, Street Fighter V, and MAss Effect. A couple others are maybes.

Video game designers are making games addictive to make money

Now I'm a gamer ....very part time but getting back into it after a few years of hiatus

I'm also an addiction counsellor by day, many of my clients play games and that's fine ...they are less harmful than drugs

But that said game side singers want us glued as it makes money ...the whole DLC, coins, upgrades illustrates this

It was probably harsh and wrong of me to call those games crappy, but they've absolutely flooded the scene in the last few years to an unbelievable extent.

I'm a bit over seeing the Xbox or Playstation deals with their online subscriber feature being all these crappy platform games. If I wanted to platform I'd hook up the SNES. It is 2016 ffs.

Variety

I love decent platform like Rayman revolution ....

Choice is a good thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my CONSPIRACY THEORY is everyone else started cashing in on "retro style" as soon as nintendo's virtual console became widely appreciated. plenty of money was going into people buying and rebuying the likes of Super Mario and Earthbound and Metroid so of course HD remakes of these classic formulas will sell and they can undercut nintendo's prices to look good too. nintendo fans always go on about what they want from the past and usually get it. how many xbox fans were moaning for a rare classic pack? not one until it was a thing i'm sure.

my CONSPIRACY THEORY is everyone else started cashing in on "retro style" as soon as nintendo's virtual console became widely appreciated. plenty of money was going into people buying and rebuying the likes of Super Mario and Earthbound and Metroid so of course HD remakes of these classic formulas will sell and they can undercut nintendo's prices to look good too. nintendo fans always go on about what they want from the past and usually get it. how many xbox fans were moaning for a rare classic pack? not one until it was a thing i'm sure.

And on RARE for a second, people need to stop asking for/creating a modern GoldenEye. It won't work. GoldenEye is great at what it is but what it is will not translate to a modern fps experience at all and will feel wrong and out of place with new graphics and physics, etc...

And on RARE for a second, people need to stop asking for/creating a modern GoldenEye. It won't work. GoldenEye is great at what it is but what it is will not translate to a modern fps experience at all and will feel wrong and out of place with new graphics and physics, etc...
And it was done already.

This shouldn't be uncommon or unpopular since it's correct. Halo 1 hasn't aged anywhere near as well as the other games in the series though it was a pretty remarkable achievement at the time.
disagree. I think its aged amazing well. Halo, assault on the control, silent cartographer are some of the best missions ive ever played. yes stuff like 2 betrayals is slightly repetitive however the gameplay is varied enough for it to be acceptable. Amazing story, great gameplay, varied gameplay with massive arenas and super tight corridors. of course my opinion is slightly clouded by nostalgia but to suggest its the worst is a bit OTT.
my campaign ranks. (story)
H1
H3
H2
H4
H5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back