Uncommon/unpopular gaming opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, LA Noire definitely needed to be a bit less restrictive in it's free roam, and the map was painstakingly big for little practical return.

It was a linear game masquerading as an open world adventure. I did love the core of it though.

Not as much an unpopular opinion more just unpopular in general but the PS Vita is a great system and has an incredible game called Persona 4. Being able to play Crash Bandicoot on a hand held aswel is really cool. Don't think I've met anyone with a Vita or have even heard of Persona 4.

Great game. Good console but like the PSP just has no support.

Haven't read the thread but COD 1, 2, 3 > all other CODs

Hell yes. BigPond GameArena comp was the best. Wasn't big on 3 but played the absolute s**t out of vCoD and UO for years and sometimes helping my clan in CoD2 if they were down a man for a search and destroy ladder match.

I enjoyed CoD4 a little at the time but it marked the end of an era. So many of the old clans didn't transition and an entirely new audience came in. That's when I made the move to Battlefield 2.

Cod 3 was my favourite of that era as it had 12 v 12 multiplayer, instead of 8 v 8.

The single player sucked though.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Not totally sure how unpopular this is, but: much of the industry would be better suited to foregoing their obsession with large-scale open world, lengthy adventures in favour of more compact, shorter gaming experiences.

Shorter, smaller, but fuller and more immersive games. GTA V a good example of how not to do it. San Andreas had more immersion.

Also, playing Battlefield, and goes for most modern games, no lighting. Even GoldenEye had dynamic lighting where you could shoot lights out anytime, anywhere, and it effect the environment. It's not good enough.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not totally sure how unpopular this is, but: much of the industry would be better suited to foregoing their obsession with large-scale open world, lengthy adventures in favour of more compact, shorter gaming experiences.

100% this, I'm finding it harder to get excited about the soulless Ubisoft style collectathons or games with completely unnecessary padding such as MGSV and Dragon Age Inquisition. Give me a shorter, focused, story driven experience any day.

Not as much an unpopular opinion more just unpopular in general but the PS Vita is a great system and has an incredible game called Persona 4. Being able to play Crash Bandicoot on a hand held aswel is really cool. Don't think I've met anyone with a Vita or have even heard of Persona 4.

Persona 4 is amazing. I'm a massive fan of the Vita even just for playing old school JPRGs like Suikoden and such.

I think there's a time and place for both. Pacing is the major issue it affects. Depending on how important that is to a games' experience, it can go either way.

Arkham Asylum was such a great game because the semi-linearity of it forced you into the next room or next building to see what would happen. The tension was crazy - "Get to the greenhouse to stop Ivy!" > OH GOD GIANT PLANTS > OH GREAT MORE FRIGGIN INMATES > Hmm how do I get accross there?"

The sequels were never the same quality, because of the (admittedly fantastic) variety of their open worlds - "Get to the factory and stop Joker! > OH G- wait, better spend 20 mins trying to get this random Riddler trophy > Hmm, what was I doing again? *switches to catwoman* > *thinks pathetic, sinful thoughts*"

Whereas a game like Skyrim is about that sense of exploration and adventure; it's designed so you spend wonderous hours chasing butterflies and murdering them and picking off their wings and adorning the walls of your corpse house with them (everyone has a corpse house right?). Any pacing required is worked into mission structures.

Mind you, Morrowind had arguably even better pacing without fast travel... fking fast travel pussies.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the building in FO4 but what pissed me off was the useless AI that would inhabit my settlements. You'd think aimless wanderers in a wasteland would be pretty capable and independent, instead you get what might as well be paraplegics.

I think there's a time and place for both. Pacing is the major issue it affects. Depending on how important that is to a games' experience, it can go either way.

Arkham Asylum was such a great game because the semi-linearity of it forced you into the next room or next building to see what would happen. The tension was crazy - "Get to the greenhouse to stop Ivy!" > OH GOD GIANT PLANTS > OH GREAT MORE FRIGGIN INMATES > Hmm how do I get accross there?"

The sequels were never the same quality, because the (admittedly fantastic) variety of their open worlds - "Get to the factory and stop Joker! > OH G- wait, better spend 20 mins trying to get this random Riddler trophy > Hmm, what was I doing again? *switches to catwoman* > *thinks pathetic, sinful thoughts*"

Whereas a game like Skyrim is about that sense of exploration and adventure; it's designed so you spend wonderous hours chasing butterflies and murderong them and picking off their wings and adoring the walls of your corpse house with them (everyone has a corpse house right?). Any pacing required is worked into mission structures.

Mind you, Morrowind had arguably even better pacing wothout fast travel... fking fast travel pussies.
I think you've nailed it.

My point wasn't so much that we should do away with the open world games - I've sunk countless hours into the likes of The Witcher 3, various Rockstar titles, etc, and loved every second of them. It was simply that most developers have proven time and time again that they are completely incapable of pulling off an open world game. So many good ideas are being ruined by the open world movement.

There's a time and a place for massive games. CDPR pulled off an unbelievable one in The Witcher 3, for example, and it's looking like Nintendo are going to do it with Zelda. But devs need to develop an idea and ask, "Does this idea work with an open world?" and, "Do we have enough ideas to flesh out an open world yet still make it enjoyable and satisfying?" rather than, "HOW DO WE MAKE THIS WORK IN AN OPEN WORLD AT ANY COST????????"

My point wasn't so much that we should do away with the open world games - I've sunk countless hours into the likes of The Witcher 3, various Rockstar titles, etc, and loved every second of them. It was simply that most developers have proven time and time again that they are completely incapable of pulling off an open world game. So many good ideas are being ruined by the open world movement.

There's a time and a place for massive games. CDPR pulled off an unbelievable one in The Witcher 3, for example, and it's looking like Nintendo are going to do it with Zelda. But devs need to develop an idea and ask, "Does this idea work with an open world?" and, "Do we have enough ideas to flesh out an open world yet still make it enjoyable and satisfying?" rather than, "HOW DO WE MAKE THIS WORK IN AN OPEN WORLD AT ANY COST????????"

Yah. Rememeber the late-2000s Wolfenstein? That had an inexplicable open-world "home map", for lack of a better term, clearly tacked on late in the production cycle, probably as a result of that very conversation.

The Tony Hawk games got worse the more open the worlds got, yet Skate nailed it - as the pacing was wildly different.

Yah. Rememeber the late-2000s Wolfenstein? That had an inexplicable open-world "home map", for lack of a better term, clearly tacked on late in the production cycle, probably as a result of that very conversation.

The Tony Hawk games got worse the more open the worlds got, yet Skate nailed it - as the pacing was wildly different.
There's definitely a "skill" to pulling it off, beyond just having fun content. Final Fantasy XV's open world non-story content was repetitive, frustrating to get around and marred by countless other problems, yet I still sunk a lot of hours into it and really enjoyed it.

The movement to shoehorn everything into the open world format has been pushed imo by the buzz word of "linearity." It has become such a negative phrase within the industry but if you look back there are thousands of great titles that can be described as linear. It seems now that if a game isn't open world it gets labeled linear and thus viewed through the lens of, "Well it may be good but it's not open world, so..."

In reality linear games have their strengths and weaknesses just as open world games do. Certain games lend themselves to one format, and some to the other.

Open world action games ≠ open world RPGs. That's the trend I'm seeing here. Open world action games tend to borrow RPG elements and often pass off as some sort of quasi-RPG and because they haven't gone the whole hog it can wear thin. Where as an RPG like Witcher 3, the Elder Scrolls games, Fallouts etc, everything mentioned that works, have an open world that reflects the actions of the player due to more interactions not to mention that just the very nature of an RPG gives the world some life. I'm at the point where I ask myself about an open world game "how is this going to work if isn't an RPG?" That's actually my number one concern going into Horizon even though I've liked everything I've seen about the game so far. Might be just because I'm an RPG fan first before anything but I've never been one to stuff around in the sandboxes like that of any GTA outside of my objectives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back