Under 17s Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but this is rubbish.

It is a simple and fair system.

Top 2 teams from previous year go up and bottom two stay down. Then Rounds 1 to 4 are grading.

Abers won Div 2 so they go up to Div 1 (where incidentally there are 3 teams they comfortably beat last year).

In the case of Keilor, I would expect them to jump straight back up to Div 1

Unfortunately it’s not rubbish Star.. They are not the only ones but they are known for it. I’m sure you know of teams tanking grading grades and I can mention a few clubs who don’t pick sides on ability from the first week..

Unfortunately it’s not rubbish Star.. They are not the only ones but they are known for it. I’m sure you know of teams tanking grading grades and I can mention a few clubs who don’t pick sides on ability from the first week..

You can’t be talking about last year then because each side thought they were playing for 4 points from round 1, only to find out later that the first 2 games did not count for anything. So I think you’ll find that sides had their best sides in. That was the first year they had done it that way, as in the past grading games still counted for 4 points.

Turbo please enlighten us on which teams in the 17s tank?

Last edited:

You can’t be talking about last year then because each side thought they were playing for 4 points from round 1, only to find out later that the first 2 games did not count for anything. So I think you’ll find that sides had their best sides in. That was the first year they had done it that way, as in the past grading games still counted for 4 points.

Turbo please enlighten us on which teams in the 17s tank?

Hey mate, was referring to juniors in general not necessarily under 17s. Check the fixtures it’s a joke..

Yeah they are. I think the 8 teams in Div 1 looks about right now. Still reckon as the premier junior comp there should be 10 teams but that's one for another day...
Having 2 teams same club won’t work watch this space setting a bad precedent for future years

Team mates !!!’
So that means just because a club has a second team that can beat most of the teams in a higher division they get to play in div 2. They will dominate and the fun of the game is lost to those boys in other teams they have no chance to win a flag.

So that means just because a club has a second team that can beat most of the teams in a higher division they get to play in div 2. They will dominate and the fun of the game is lost to those boys in other teams they have no chance to win a flag.
So your saying Greenvale reserves should play premier football because they won a flag in the reserves
Please not logical or sportsman like. You should play your teammates end statement. This with create a precedent for all grades in all divisions in the future

So your saying Greenvale reserves should play premier football because they won a flag in the reserves
Please not logical or sportsman like. You should play your teammates end statement. This with create a precedent for all grades in all divisions in the future

Yeah I agree teams from the same club shouldn’t compete against each other. If they are that strong then good luck to them.
On the flip side if a player who is good enough to play in the 1st side but is selected in the 2nd might wish to move clubs to play div1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are on the U17 page. My comment was aimed at junior age groups not the senior age groups.

This is junior football where development is of the utmost importance.

Abers won the Div 2 flag last year when Div 1 only had 6 teams. They arguably would have beaten some of those too. It is only fair that those boys get to play at their correct level this year. It is also fair for the rest of the Div 2 comp as all other premiers and runners up of all other divisions were promoted.

This is junior football where development is of the utmost importance.

Abers won the Div 2 flag last year when Div 1 only had 6 teams. They arguably would have beaten some of those too. It is only fair that those boys get to play at their correct level this year. It is also fair for the rest of the Div 2 comp as all other premiers and runners up of all other divisions were promoted.

You have some valid points, but just because a junior side was strong last year does not mean they are as strong this year. For example: Abers might have had a lot of top age players in their div2 side. West Coburg rolled them by 120 points so it will be interesting to see how they perform in the first two weeks. Obviously a few players from each side might be away on school holidays as well.

Due to the system they have to start div1. This is what grading games are for.

You have some valid points, but just because a junior side was strong last year does not mean they are as strong this year.

Of course, but the league can only go on the most recent results

West Coburg rolled them by 120 points so it will be interesting to see how they perform in the first two weeks. Obviously a few players from each side might be away on school holidays as well.

I think given the number of boys missing Abers did well to score a goal in every quarter and be quite competitive. I imagine they will be super competitive when holidays finish next week.

Losing by 20 goals but scoring a goal in each quarter whilst undermanned is one thing but I think a more pressing concern for the league having 3 games in Division 3 decided by about 40 goals each!

Of course, but the league can only go on the most recent results

I think given the number of boys missing Abers did well to score a goal in every quarter and be quite competitive. I imagine they will be super competitive when holidays finish next week.

Losing by 20 goals but scoring a goal in each quarter whilst undermanned is one thing but I think a more pressing concern for the league having 3 games in Division 3 decided by about 40 goals each!
After 3 rounds surely the EDFL can see any 2nd team is not competing against clubs number 1 teams. The scores and the gap is Huge for any club in div 1 to compete no matter what team it is.
I can understand this working in Div 4-7 comps not in Div 1 surely clubs can see it doesn’t work and the EDFL need to make this change before players drop off as the system is in correct.

After 3 rounds surely the EDFL can see any 2nd team is not competing against clubs number 1 teams. The scores and the gap is Huge for any club in div 1 to compete no matter what team it is.
I can understand this working in Div 4-7 comps not in Div 1 surely clubs can see it doesn’t work and the EDFL need to make this change before players drop off as the system is in correct.
Someone has to come last, sounds like you want to be graded where you win all the time

In fairness to Abers, they have had a lot of players missing in the A's which impacts their other teams. The B's have been competitive. A % of 40 is not the worst in the world with players to come back. Compare that to lower divisions where teams have percentage of 6%, 17%, 17% and 22%. That is non competitive. As Billyblogs said, someone has has to come last

That said, if Abers 2 stay up, I don't believe they will finish last. They come from arguably the best junior system going around. Bookmark it.

Someone has to come last, sounds like you want to be graded where you win all the time

Hey Billy, I think I’m general the EDFL has to start making some changes to the fixture in ALL grades and not wait till after 4 rounds. Having teams get absolutely smashed is not doing anything for junior participation. I haven’t taken a lot of interest in this 17s comp but some of the results are mind blowing. 20-30-40 goals to zip. The lower levels 10-15 goals to zip is doing for players of both sides other than the players and coaches jumping around singing the song however keep it in perspective guys..

If a club has say 2 or 3 different teams in the 1 age group in the lower divisions how are there no1 side playing other teans no2 side.. I’ve gone through some results last night and it’s pretty sad.

As you are a Tulla man let me give you this example: Tulla have done a lot of work to get juniors going again. Tulla under 11s no1 side get smashed by Burnside no1 side.. What is that doing for the Tulla kids in which I can only assume some are new and probably still learning the game. Why is a developing area like Burnside who have 3 Under 11 sides in that division playing Tulla???
Burnside imo should be in division 1 or 2 bring a club with 70 plus kids to choose from.

Absolute joke.. Who is at fault here the league or did the club nominate a low division?

Hey Billy, I think I’m general the EDFL has to start making some changes to the fixture in ALL grades and not wait till after 4 rounds. Having teams get absolutely smashed is not doing anything for junior participation. I haven’t taken a lot of interest in this 17s comp but some of the results are mind blowing. 20-30-40 goals to zip. The lower levels 10-15 goals to zip is doing for players of both sides other than the players and coaches jumping around singing the song however keep it in perspective guys..

If a club has say 2 or 3 different teams in the 1 age group in the lower divisions how are there no1 side playing other teans no2 side.. I’ve gone through some results last night and it’s pretty sad.

As you are a Tulla man let me give you this example: Tulla have done a lot of work to get juniors going again. Tulla under 11s no1 side get smashed by Burnside no1 side.. What is that doing for the Tulla kids in which I can only assume some are new and probably still learning the game. Why is a developing area like Burnside who have 3 Under 11 sides in that division playing Tulla???
Burnside imo should be in division 1 or 2 bring a club with 70 plus kids to choose from.

Absolute joke.. Who is at fault here the league or did the club nominate a low division?
I think they need to have grading to fine tune in all age groups

If a club has 2/3 teams in an age group blind Freddie could see the A team would be above average Bs would be there abouts and Cs would be the bottom age 1st years
Therefore
As div 1
Bs div 2
Cs div 5

Tune it up after 4 rounds

I honestly think the parents care factor on the results in the low age groups is a lot greater than the kids

I think they need to have grading to fine tune in all age groups

If a club has 2/3 teams in an age group blind Freddie could see the A team would be above average Bs would be there abouts and Cs would be the bottom age 1st years
Therefore
As div 1
Bs div 2
Cs div 5

Tune it up after 4 rounds

I honestly think the parents care factor on the results in the low age groups is a lot greater than the kids

Hey Billy, Im all for grading but no need to wait the 4 weeks to move some clubs. I know they can make fixture adjustments wiring the grading timeframe.

Yep and would suggest the following
As - div1 or 2
Bs - div 3-5
Cs - div 5- below

Yes I agree the result is not important but at least get some forward entries and possibly score a goal or 2 would give great enjoyment to some especially at the lower ages. And let’s consider the mismatch in size of some kids as well. Anyway hope things even out..

Hey Billy, Im all for grading but no need to wait the 4 weeks to move some clubs. I know they can make fixture adjustments wiring the grading timeframe.

Yep and would suggest the following
As - div1 or 2
Bs - div 3-5
Cs - div 5- below

Yes I agree the result is not important but at least get some forward entries and possibly score a goal or 2 would give great enjoyment to some especially at the lower ages. And let’s consider the mismatch in size of some kids as well. Anyway hope things even out..

Some clubs have been moved already e.g Tulla team in U17 Div 3 was moved down to Div 4 after just two matches (and judging by yesterday's results will be getting moved down again)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back