Under 17s Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they need to have grading to fine tune in all age groups

If a club has 2/3 teams in an age group blind Freddie could see the A team would be above average Bs would be there abouts and Cs would be the bottom age 1st years
Therefore
As div 1
Bs div 2
Cs div 5

Tune it up after 4 rounds

I honestly think the parents care factor on the results in the low age groups is a lot greater than the kids
I think you will be surprised about the kids not caring. Nobody likes to get flogged.

Look out the EDFL has 10 days to adjust the fixtures can’t wait with anticipation the balance of rounds interesting what teams tanked to avoid higher div.

Yes it’s going to be interesting. Some clubs 1st teams playing in the lower divisions makes me so angry. Then after you cop a thrashing the coach says we asked and wanted to play much higher. What a load of garbage as clubs nominate there preferred grades and usually the league accommodates those requests during grading games.

Yes it’s going to be interesting. Some clubs 1st teams playing in the lower divisions makes me so angry. Then after you cop a thrashing the coach says we asked and wanted to play much higher. What a load of garbage as clubs nominate there preferred grades and usually the league accommodates those requests during grading games.
My concern is the standard of football has dropped off strong proud clubs are slipping i believe there are too many divisions and kids are happy to play in a lower grade bc it’s easier and they don’t have to be challenged some clubs are happy to play lower grades because it keeps parents happy when they are winning what happened to strive for better or build a team to be beat number 1 and challenge the squad to train harder and be competitive.

When everybody started to get medals for competing.

I agree that the standard has dropped in the u17's from 3 to 5 years ago. The fact that clubs were allowed to have more than 2 teams in the same age group has ruined it. Yes I know boys want to play with their mates, but clubs should of been told to close their books when their numbers reached 50. That would allow for injuries and 7 on the bench for each game during the season at full strength.
Can you see 5 teams running around in Div 1? Clubs know some of their boys aren't good enough to compete in Div 1, so they choose to go down a div to accommodate. I know the EDFL look at the results from 2 years ago to see how they went. However, they didn't do this for all clubs.

When everybody started to get medals for competing.

I agree that the standard has dropped in the u17's from 3 to 5 years ago. The fact that clubs were allowed to have more than 2 teams in the same age group has ruined it. Yes I know boys want to play with their mates, but clubs should of been told to close their books when their numbers reached 50. That would allow for injuries and 7 on the bench for each game during the season at full strength.
Can you see 5 teams running around in Div 1? Clubs know some of their boys aren't good enough to compete in Div 1, so they choose to go down a div to accommodate. I know the EDFL look at the results from 2 years ago to see how they went. However, they didn't do this for all clubs.

The under 17’s division has only been around for 2 years this year. I think the major issue is they moved from under 16s to 17s, and under 18s to 19.5s. This didn’t progress the league at all. Also, isn’t soccer the number one preferred sport these days?

The under 17’s division has only been around for 2 years this year. I think the major issue is they moved from under 16s to 17s, and under 18s to 19.5s. This didn’t progress the league at all. Also, isn’t soccer the number one preferred sport these days?
I was referring to that age group, then U16 now U17

With the grading games completed and we are at the 1/2 way mark how is the comp shaping which teams will shape up and make the top 5

With the grading games completed and we are at the 1/2 way mark how is the comp shaping which teams will shape up and make the top 5

Abers a mile in front of any other side. And that’s without the likes of Newman, Martin and Minton-Connell coming back from Cannons. Abers would need to play a dirty game to be knocked off (which can happen if a side thinks it will just happen).

Prediction: Abers v Strathmore GF
Medal: Middleton
Winner: Abers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abers were 22 points up at 3/4 time and Strathmore kicked 4.6 in the last quarter to get up by 8 points.
Strathmore have all 4 Div 1 teams in to the GF

Great result for Strathmore. I still have Abers winning the 17s. They won’t get back Martin, Newman, L Rocci or Minton-Connell from TAC, but they still have Simpson and Middleton to come back in, who were out playing cannons. And their Pegs boys played the day before in their gf. Abers finished the season undefeated and I think the loss will help them refocus.

Great result for Strathmore. I still have Abers winning the 17s. They won’t get back Martin, Newman, L Rocci or Minton-Connell from TAC, but they still have Simpson and Middleton to come back in, who were out playing cannons. And their Pegs boys played the day before in their gf. Abers finished the season undefeated and I think the loss will help them refocus.
You just hope they don't get ahead of themselves like Keilor did a few years ago, beating EDS by 70+ in the semi and then loosing by 30+ in the GF.

Great win by Abers today. But does anyone know why Strathmore’s score wasn’t wiped after found to have had 19 players on the field in the last quarter

That’s the EDFL for you. Pretty simple buddy.. Run by muppets.
Would’ve been interested if Strathmore kicked a goal to but them in front. Abers would have had a right to appeal the decision.
Thank god that didn’t happen. EDFL would have looked like the incompetent competition that they are.

Would’ve been interested if Strathmore kicked a goal to but them in front. Abers would have had a right to appeal the decision.
Thank god that didn’t happen. EDFL would have looked like the incompetent competition that they are.

Is the result correct in that both sides only kicked 3 goals? Pretty ordinary for div1 standard isn’t it. What was the game like horse??

Is the result correct in that both sides only kicked 3 goals? Pretty ordinary for div1 standard isn’t it. What was the game like horse??
It was shocking conditions. Wet and windy for most part. The game was very physical and spitefully with Strathmore using some late hits the unsettle Abers. I felt that early on the umpires lost control of the game causing a major blew at quarter time. I think in a game like that the EDFL needs to appoint one older/senior umpire to take control cause I felt the young umpires weren’t as forceful.
The game itself was tense throughout the whole game but that was due to the low scoring and closeness of the game so every goal was critical.
Abers did extremely well to hold on as I was made awhere afterwards that 6 of the players had played in the herald sun grand final the day before for St Bernard’s.
It wasn’t the greatest spectacle in terms of skill but it was because of how close it was.
In the end I felt the better team won on the day but as I said things would have been interesting had Strathmore won because of the head count and Strathmore found to have had 19 on the field at the start of the last quarter.

Sorry, this is not U17 related, but it's junior footy related.

I have it on good record that an U13 girls coach yesterday had 6 players on the bench ( the maximum they can have) and 4 of them got not 1 second of game time.

I hope he's enjoying his glory of being a premiership coach while those 4 girls are lying in bed tonight crying.

I have it on good record that an U13 girls coach yesterday had 6 players on the bench ( the maximum they can have) and 4 of them got not 1 second of game time.

I hope he's enjoying his glory of being a premiership coach while those 4 girls are lying in bed tonight crying.

You would absolutely hope this is not the case. It doesn’t matter what age group they are, everyone should get some game time. If you aren’t going to play a player, then they shouldn’t be on the bench in this day and age.

All Players at this age group must get min 2 quarters. I can tell you some junior coaches have no idea and it’s getting worse. Now with girls footy and clubs having multiple teams some coaches have no idea about junior footy. Yes inform the league but they will do absolutely nothing. Notify the club and they probably are aware of it. Even some bigger clubs are going outside the rules to gain advantages and it’s a bloody disgrace..

Poor form by both coach and club. Club's JDO shoulda been onto it by half time.

Only just said it to a parent at work who mentioned the behaviour of an U/11 coach yesty .... worst thing about Junior Sport at times is
(1.) parents, and (2.) wrongly motivated coaches. Let's be honest if we're doing it to whack an underage premiership photo on the mantle at home then we're in it for the wrong reasons.

It doesn't matter where we coach/mentor .... but it 100% matters as to why we coach/mentor our youngsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back