under 18 division 1 and division 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard that the future of the Under 18's is in doubt. Only about 4 clubs have reasonable numbers at this stage.
I've also heard that apparently Spotty can't get a team, Altona struggling too. Heard good things about Newport Power though and I would predict, Hoppers will have two teams, Glenorden should have a team as should Wyndhamvale, the rest I don't know

Sunshine not fielding an under 18 team this season, of the 8 or 9 that had been training, I understand will be playing seniro footy a few are looking for other clubs for the season

Sunshine not fielding an under 18 team this season, of the 8 or 9 that had been training, I understand will be playing seniro footy a few are looking for other clubs for the season

Things don't look good for 18's comp.
Based on league structure /policy this would leave 4/6 teams in Div 1 (Altona, DP, Hoppers, St Albans and maybe Albion (?) & possibly Yarraville (struggling). In Div 2 there would be 5/7 teams (CS, Glen Orden, Wyndhamvale, Parkside (?) maybe Manor Lakes & Hoppers 2 & St Albans 2

Its looking more and more like they will have just one division in the U18 competition this year with between 8 and 12 teams. How they structure it would be anyones guess. Maybe they should play each other once and then seed the teams into two conferences for the second half of the year?

Unfortunately the league made a terrible decision to change the age limit, and their attempts to put a band aid over the wound by reverting to a limited number of overage players has come too late. Many players have already committed to senior teams, or to U19 competitions in the VAFA.

When you change something drastically you need to do proper analysis of the potential consequences. That should have started with examining birthdates to see how many kids would be removed from the player pool with a reduced age, and followed up with proper consultation with team managers, coaches, players and parents. I doubt the league did any of that.

The introduction of two new clubs into the Div 2 Senior competition has placed a further drain on pool of players available.

When you change something drastically you need to do proper analysis of the potential consequences. That should have started with examining birthdates to see how many kids would be removed from the player pool with a reduced age, and followed up with proper consultation with team managers, coaches, players and parents. I doubt the league did any of that.

The introduction of two new clubs into the Div 2 Senior competition has placed a further drain on pool of players available.

They did provide analysis of birth dates last year at a senior clubs meeting and the issue was raised by some but ignored by the powers to be and the clubs with 'Seniors' only.

You are correct about the introduction of 2 more clubs putting a drain on the pool. I am aware of several players still eligible for 18s going to the new clubs and playing seniors because those clubs can't offer 18s.

How will one Div work when Hoppers & St Albans are likely to have 2 teams?

Will be interesting next year when they move to 17 1/2

They did provide analysis of birth dates last year at a senior clubs meeting and the issue was raised by some but ignored by the powers to be and the clubs with 'Seniors' only.

You are correct about the introduction of 2 more clubs putting a drain on the pool. I am aware of several players still eligible for 18s going to the new clubs and playing seniors because those clubs can't offer 18s.

How will one Div work when Hoppers & St Albans are likely to have 2 teams?

Will be interesting next year when they move to 17 1/2
Well their decision to ignore it has backfired on them. Now they have a competition that's almost fallen over. It wasn't in great shape last year - 3 clubs with senior teams in Div 1 didn't have an Under 18 team. Could be even less this year.

Will St Albans and Hoppers even have two teams?

17 1/2 won't work unless they drop the Under 16s and force all those kids up. It's just crazy. Every other Metropolitan competition is U18 1/2 or U19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back