Under 18's Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Craigieburn for me but will be a close game, for me the older heads of Hardstaff, Stewart, Perrone if they can control the younger heads and control there relative lines( backs, mids, forwards ) I think they can get over the line. Burners by 5 points and GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS

I'll go with CB. I think they are a more complete team who will play for each other and when things are tight and tough early they will unite and not fracture. EDS are by far the more talented side how ever as I noted in their final against HS if you can apply pressure they don't respond in a positive manner.

Grand Finals are won by champion teams not a team of champions so CB by 8 for me...good luck to both teams. Hope it's a great game and all the boys get through unscathed.
Happy to admit when I'm wrong..

Well what a game. No wonder EDS wanted Raynor in the side. Without him Craigieburn win.

Well done both sides on a great game.

How bloody good was he? Absolute freak.

Bloody good game too. Led all day only to get run down in the last few minutes. Have to give a wrap to our midfield who got little time for a break. I actually thought Perone was our best, with Vendramini next. Langers mark was sensational, while Hardstaff tried hard all day. Stewart and Wilkinson's two way running was sensational.

Can't say enough about Cam. Easily Douttas best. Jake Toa dominated the ruck and was very good around the ground too.

Great way to finish the year and extremely proud of the boys.

Can someone from Craigieburn please tell me what happened to your interchange bench? There seem to be very little movement during the course of the game. Were there injuries or was it just poor management?

119-112. Must be the highest scoring under 18 Grand Final ever?

Review of the season!
Suprise packet! - westmeadows finished 3rd beat hillside and Craigieburn during the season. Unfortunately for them a sending off at the wrong time cost them against a very good Craigieburn.

Underachieved - this is probably the toughest. Hillside for mine. Without bertollo and Coletta they finished 2nd and smashed Douttas 46-10 in round 17. Then besides Coletta not one hillside boy fired a shot in the finals. Out in straight sets.

Biggest upset -
Taylor's Lakes 12.12.84 defeat Doutta Stars 8.12.60
Ben Nelson and co at Taylor's lakes tore Douttas apart came from 31 points down and recorded a memorable win for Taylors.

Congratulations to all teams in division 1 for season 2016.
Early Grand final prediction
Westmeadows V Craigieburn.

119-112. Must be the highest scoring under 18 Grand Final ever?

Review of the season!
Suprise packet! - westmeadows finished 3rd beat hillside and Craigieburn during the season. Unfortunately for them a sending off at the wrong time cost them against a very good Craigieburn.

Underachieved - this is probably the toughest. Hillside for mine. Without bertollo and Coletta they finished 2nd and smashed Douttas 46-10 in round 17. Then besides Coletta not one hillside boy fired a shot in the finals. Out in straight sets.

Biggest upset -
Taylor's Lakes 12.12.84 defeat Doutta Stars 8.12.60
Ben Nelson and co at Taylor's lakes tore Douttas apart came from 31 points down and recorded a memorable win for Taylors.

Congratulations to all teams in division 1 for season 2016.
Early Grand final prediction
Westmeadows V Craigieburn.
Very good review except for the last I think craigieburn will struggle next year they loose some very credible players but agree with the westy prediction loose the same amount ok kids they gain and heard some talent in amongst them wonder how hadfield will go

Very good review except for the last I think craigieburn will struggle next year they loose some very credible players but agree with the westy prediction loose the same amount ok kids they gain and heard some talent in amongst them wonder how hadfield will go
Yeah tend to agree only reason I went with Craigieburn is because they have a few good under 16s coming up. And hillside are apparently losing a few players.

Craigieburn will still be a very formidable side in a pretty average competition overall next year compared to past years. They still have the likes of Zwagerman,Rubeidis, Reichelt, lobosco and Kesici. Leading goal kicker Sharman. And around 5 players from under 16s who all have played a under 18 game this year. Not to mention gun Vendramini although will be in and out with cannons comittments.

I also think the fact that Craigieburn have made two grand finals back to back might attract some recruits to the team. I personally like the look at Glenroy next year.

Personally after watching the 18's game on the weekend I Think if Gorgevski (not sure how to spell) and Laffan play Craigieburn win.. Simple as that

Personally after watching the 18's game on the weekend I Think if Gorgevski (not sure how to spell) and Laffan play Craigieburn win.. Simple as that
Peter Ntalianis played seniors for eds and is the best player in the competition and our under 18 captain. Ridiculous comment.
Don't start the who we 'could' have had or what could have been mate.

I know a few if the older blokes at douttas and by all reports laguda, wallis, brown, campisi, ntalianis and leaney did not play many or any games for the 18s this year. I think its fair to say if those boys played craigeburn would not have come within 70 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Ntalianis played seniors for eds and is the best player in the competition and our under 18 captain. Ridiculous comment.
Don't start the who we 'could' have had or what could have been mate.
In my opinion a healthy Callum Langborne would of been the best player in the competition. Was arguably the best player in the comp last year. Langborne played one game this year healthy being round 1 and had 40 touches and 3 goals. Not to mention that hanger he took in the granny was on one knee as he had to get scans on the Thursday leading the granny with a suspected acl. No disrespect to Ntalianis cause he is a gun and was the best player in the Comp due to Langborne being injuried in my opinion

In my opinion a healthy Callum Langborne would of been the best player in the competition. Was arguably the best player in the comp last year. Langborne played one game this year healthy being round 1 and had 40 touches and 3 goals. Not to mention that hanger he took in the granny was on one knee as he had to get scans on the Thursday leading the granny with a suspected acl. No disrespect to Ntalianis cause he is a gun and was the best player in the Comp due to Langborne being injuried in my opinion

You can't be the best player in the comp playing 13 games of senior footy and my bet is Pete won't win the 18s B & F and anyone who watched that round 1 game will tell you who was BOG, plus I think Moustafa was a clear winner last year.

Last edited:
I know a few if the older blokes at douttas and by all reports laguda, wallis, brown, campisi, ntalianis and leaney did not play many or any games for the 18s this year. I think its fair to say if those boys played craigeburn would not have come within 70 points.

Those guys were never going to play games anyway, so it's a moot point. It will be the same again next year when they lose a few more to the Jets and Cannons.

This is why you don't bring up Players that didn't play. The two teams were at full strength and Douttas won. Simple as that. Rednutbru opened his mouth someone was certainly going to mention all of eds players regardless of if they were going to play or not.
I personally think it's still a massive effort from to Douttas to have had the year they had. This team won the under 16 div 1 flag in2013 but from that team These players didn't feature in the finals.

Briggs, Stewart, Romios, Laguda, wallis, Campisi, vernali, gibbons, Alesh, leaney, boutros, brown, Zoccali.

Those guys were never going to play games anyway, so it's a moot point. It will be the same again next year when they lose a few more to the Jets and Cannons.
The same thing will happen next year I agree and it will be very
Tough in A grade. I could only imagine if those boys did play in the grand final though

You can't be the best player in the comp playing 13 games of senior footy and my bet is Pete won't win the 18s B & F and anyone who watched that round 1 game will tell you who was BOG, plus I think Moustafa was a clear winner last year.
Who do you think will win Eds b&f?

Tough in A grade. I could only imagine if those boys did play in the grand final though

They'll need a pretty decent influx of players to be competitive.

Who do you think will win Eds b&f?

I'm not sure who has played well for them over the whole year. I've only watched them once before sunday and it was one person who was all the difference in that game too.

I think it's fair to day that the Youth Level of the competition will never see "The Best" players playing throughout the regular season and quite possibly in the finals. Senior selection, School Football obligations & Study, TAC commitments, doubling up for depleted 2's, starting new jobs etc all impact on the ability of clubs to get the "best" team out on the ground for any week in a year let alone every week. So while I think the "what if" discussion is interesting it will only ever lead to more discussions.

My view, which I appreciate will also cause contention, but please note it is only a view, is that if clubs have 22 fit and capable U18.5 players that are fully financial members of the club then they should be given first priority to represent the club in any finals games. While I enjoyed watching some of the U16's players play in the U18.5 GF. I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the players they replaced who were probably there week in week out making sure their team made it to the big game only to be left out and miss an opportunity to create a little bit of history for them selves.

Last edited:

I think there is 30 under 16s coming up including 22 that played in there 16 div 1 premiership. Saying that Hobbs Ntalianis have third years. Could mean that if eds seniors don't make finals and 18s do. A couple of handy returns. Whispers have it there could be a few hillside players from this season heading down the highway to play premier 18.5s with there mates. Could be an interesting off season for eds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Westmeadows lack of defence and discipline is the reason they won't get any compliments from me. When things don't go there way. They punch on. Disgusting.

Craigieburn are dangerous now with all there 18s playing along with browning and vendramini.

Hillside are a very good physical side but unfortunately I think they will lose this week.

Big ground dry track (predicting) Craigieburn spread well and there speed like eds will worry hillside and I think if they can stop Brandon coletta and Brodie psalia
Essendon Doutta Stars V Craigieburn is beckoning in a fortnights time.

I'm happy to admit that I am in the U18 Coach at Westmeadows and that I don't post on here, just look until now. I have to say I find some of the posts on here about us a little frustrating. The one above in particular.

Myself and a couple of other senior members decided at the end of the 2013 season that we would focus and dedicate our time to supporting this group at our club as we felt a sense of obligation to the community to provide a safe, constructive and educational environment to support the transition this age group makes at this point in their lives, teach them what premier grade football is really about and provide a framework to allow each individual to explore their full potential both on and off the field.

At that time we had 7 U18.5 players and were bleeding whatever talent we had to other clubs in the competition, understandably. Since then we put the following actions in place..

Player Driven Community Service Events. Over the past 2 seasons we conduct an annual event driven by the players at the local school where we take on major works projects to improve the school and reduce the cost.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...y-school-grounds/story-fnglenug-1226928865322

We also conduct a support a sponsor day where we work at a local gym for the entire day in exchange for gym memberships that are then offered to all U16's and U18.5's

Next year we will
  • Partner with the Hume City council on an inclusion program with their Special Needs community where the players will coach and mentor kids of similar age with learning challenges on the basics of football.
  • Look to introduce a sports leadership program with the support of AFLVIC high performance
  • Seek Affiliation with a VFL club to offer our more talented players who missed out of TAC opportunities the chance for another crack at their dream.
While I can only admire EDS for their current success, right now we are not measuring our success with Premiership Flags as currency. We are having small wins along the way and hope to one day be respected as much for the way we conduct ourselves on the football field as the regard we are held in by the community that provides us with the opportunity to play Football.

I only post this information in the hope that you allow us the time that it will take to make these changes, measure the impact they are having and adjust accordingly and don't kick us for hiccups that will occur in any cultural change program.

We think we are on the right track. But ultimately results will speak for them selves. From 7 players in 2013 to hopefully entering a 2nd U18.5 team in the 2016 with a few wins along the way indicate we are doing something right however there is still a long way to go...

Thanks

I'm not sure who has played well for them over the whole year. I've only watched them once before sunday and it was one person who was all the difference in that game too.
What are your thoughts on the craigeburn b&f?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back