Under 19.5 Premier Division

Didplay

Debutant
Sep 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Will be interested to see who has and who doesn't have a side and who has two or more sides in the 17's and 19's age groups.
Has AFL Victoria made a mistake by going to odd age groups as the old system worked and the majority of clubs didn’t have this issue where they can’t field teams in 19s and 17s
Good luck with the point system.

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Has AFL Victoria made a mistake by going to odd age groups as the old system worked and the majority of clubs didn’t have this issue where they can’t field teams in 19s and 17s
Good luck with the point system.
Who knows. Some will say they should of stayed with 18's. I just think boys are leaving the game now as its a generation thing. The points system certainly helps those clubs with big junior programs. There needs to be a better distribution of junior teams.

Passionateman

Senior List
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Who knows. Some will say they should of stayed with 18's. I just think boys are leaving the game now as its a generation thing. The points system certainly helps those clubs with big junior programs. There needs to be a better distribution of junior teams.

I don’t think it is a generation thing. I honestly believe it’s an odd years thing. Here’s my view on it:

At evens the under 18s are mostly still in school, so therefore with their VCE studies they still utilise footy as a work-life balance. They aren’t inclined as much to go out and if they do then it’s usually a Saturday night. The under 16s are definitely in school and this is before some of the better players transition to the under 18s NAB League - so the competition at this age group is stronger.

When it becomes 17s you start to lose a lot of the pool to NAB League which dilutes the Sunday matches. When it becomes 19s then there are a lot of young men who are working - and either go out on a Friday night and can’t be bothered with a Saturday morning, or they are working Saturday mornings and would much prefer this than being up at 8am to play footy. We also have seniors thirds these days which take some extra players away.

If the AFL want healthy competitions then I really believe they need to go back to evens. The WRFL is an example of this - in 2018 their U/19s had 5 teams compete. In 2019 the U/18s have 13 teams. If you apply my points above I believe this trend is highlighted.

Didplay

Debutant
Sep 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t think it is a generation thing. I honestly believe it’s an odd years thing. Here’s my view on it:

At evens the under 18s are mostly still in school, so therefore with their VCE studies they still utilise footy as a work-life balance. They aren’t inclined as much to go out and if they do then it’s usually a Saturday night. The under 16s are definitely in school and this is before some of the better players transition to the under 18s NAB League - so the competition at this age group is stronger.

When it becomes 17s you start to lose a lot of the pool to NAB League which dilutes the Sunday matches. When it becomes 19s then there are a lot of young men who are working - and either go out on a Friday night and can’t be bothered with a Saturday morning, or they are working Saturday mornings and would much prefer this than being up at 8am to play footy. We also have seniors thirds these days which take some extra players away.

If the AFL want healthy competitions then I really believe they need to go back to evens. The WRFL is an example of this - in 2018 their U/19s had 5 teams compete. In 2019 the U/18s have 13 teams. If you apply my points above I believe this trend is highlighted.
Finally passionate man has a understanding and is in touch with the system and delivered valuable information for the system to take note
And rectify as the local football will diminish in future years as the smaller clubs will fold or merge.
Maybe that’s what AFL Vic want and make the local football 1 major competition between all regions and this will be feeder system to VFL.
The strong will survive in every region and make a new competition???

Back