Under 19.5 Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Where in the by-laws does it say you can do that? I have looked at them closely and from what I gather... because the 19s is open age too you can't drop down from the reserves if you have played more games in the reserves (meaning reserves are out of finals). These boys can play 19s if the reserves and seniors are in finals... is that the case?
Don't no where the by law is. All I know is that it happened last year with Trembath and Sinclair. I'm sure 19's isn't classified as open age that's why they are allowed. West coburg will be able to play Cleary this week if they choose to

Don't no where the by law is. All I know is that it happened last year with Trembath and Sinclair. I'm sure 19's isn't classified as open age that's why they are allowed. West coburg will be able to play Cleary this week if they choose to

Under 19s is considered open age because they play on the same day as the seniors and reserves. If you haven't looked up the edfl by-laws on the website then I feel you don't really understand the rules. Look it up on the website and it's under qualifications section of the rules.

The only way those 2 players you mentioned played is because there was either seniors or reserves playing on the weekend for finals. Then they are allowed.

Under 19s is considered open age because they play on the same day as the seniors and reserves. If you haven't looked up the edfl by-laws on the website then I feel you don't really understand the rules. Look it up on the website and it's under qualifications section of the rules.

The only way those 2 players you mentioned played is because there was either seniors or reserves playing on the weekend for finals. Then they are allowed.
Well you were wrong because neither seniors or reserves played on grand final day and yet they were both able to play. Maybe you should speak to the league and you'll find that I am correct.

Well you were wrong because neither seniors or reserves played on grand final day and yet they were both able to play. Maybe you should speak to the league and you'll find that I am correct.

Correct Under 19's are free to drop back to Under 19's even if playing seniors/reserves all year.

In Zac Hislop's first year at Abers (2012 I think) he was Under 19's qualified however played all season in the seniors. Our seniors were knocked out in the first final and he played the following week in the reserves (not 19's) despite being "over qualified" with more games in the 1's and 0 in the 2's because he was still Under 19's.

He could have played in the 19's Grand Final the following week if he wanted to but decided not to as it was unfair to take the spot of a kid who'd played all year.

Correct Under 19's are free to drop back to Under 19's even if playing seniors/reserves all year.

In Zac Hislop's first year at Abers (2012 I think) he was Under 19's qualified however played all season in the seniors. Our seniors were knocked out in the first final and he played the following week in the reserves (not 19's) despite being "over qualified" with more games in the 1's and 0 in the 2's because he was still Under 19's.

He could have played in the 19's Grand Final the following week if he wanted to but decided not to as it was unfair to take the spot of a kid who'd played all year.

That seems strange from the EDFL. I'm not sure I agree with that setup. However, if 2 people tell me it's the rules I believe it.

The rules have since changed with regards to reserves and seniors. Even for under 19's. Sinclair who I previously mentioned ran out with Hillsides reserves last year in the final only to be told that he couldn't play because he had played to many senior games but was allowed to play 19's in their GF

The rules have since changed with regards to reserves and seniors. Even for under 19's. Sinclair who I previously mentioned ran out with Hillsides reserves last year in the final only to be told that he couldn't play because he had played to many senior games but was allowed to play 19's in their GF

Yes EDFL that's the ruling I understand also. I actually think it's a good rule unlike some other leagues. However I guess it's them up to the club and the player if he decides to play 19s. I'm not for players dropping back to 19s if they haven't played all year to take the place of a player who has, but if injuries or suspension as created a spot and it's all above water then maybe it's ok. Your only young once and you are entitled to play against your own age group.

Also I have a question for all on this forum. If you have players playing at higher levels, shouldn't we reward them for coming back to their local club to play? And I don't mean qualifying them by doing dodgies. I mean they have played 5-6 matches and have qualified on their own merit. Why would you penalise these players by not allowing them to play? I understand that some players who have been there most of the year will be upset missing out, but with success isn't there always disappointment? I would prefer to reward players who go on to higher levels, rather than penalise them. What's your thoughts?
Abbers did it last year in the 18's that is why some left. They played all year and then get dropped for the big one. You should reward the players that have been playing all year. Those that have played higher during the year have already had a reward by doing that.

Abbers did it last year in the 18's that is why some left. They played all year and then get dropped for the big one. You should reward the players that have been playing all year. Those that have played higher during the year have already had a reward by doing that.

Those players at higher levels still pay their membership and also play enough matches to qualify... I see differently to you. I think they have earned the right To come back and play.

Those players at higher levels still pay their membership and also play enough matches to qualify... I see differently to you. I think they have earned the right To come back and play.

That's because you have the 'big' club mentality.
In senior level, I can somewhat accept but not agree with it. Sponsors, volunteers, supporters want/expect success.

In under 19s you're dealing with kids. Kids who are not yet men and have busted a gut through preseason, 2 nights training a week, 18 rounds of playing and 2 finals to be told they're not needed/not good enough for the big dance be 'Mr X' has become available this week.
At the end of the day, these kids are playing local footy NOT the TAC CUP or anything else of a higher standard.

I think in years to come we will see a lot more of what we saw last year in terms of those Abers boys jumping down the river to Marby.

In senior level, I can somewhat accept but not agree with it. Sponsors, volunteers, supporters want/expect success.

In under 19s you're dealing with kids. Kids who are not yet men and have busted a gut through preseason, 2 nights training a week, 18 rounds of playing and 2 finals to be told they're not needed/not good enough for the big dance be 'Mr X' has become available this week.
At the end of the day, these kids are playing local footy NOT the TAC CUP or anything else of a higher standard.

I think in years to come we will see a lot more of what we saw last year in terms of those Abers boys jumping down the river to Marby.

I believe the 4 abers boys you are referring to in McDonald Barba davey and neicho all played in the grand final last year ??

Yeah see I grew up in the country where under 17s was your last year of football, so to me under 19.5's is 100% open age and not 'kids' anymore. But we are allowed to have differing opinions. The point I'm making though is that the kids coming back from TAC cup have played 5-6 matches during the year. So I believe they have earned their right to play at their local club in finals.

I actually think you'll find a few of those boys come home to Abers next year. That is the word around the traps anyway, but isn't fact until it happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah see I grew up in the country where under 17s was your last year of football, so to me under 19.5's is 100% open age and not 'kids' anymore. But we are allowed to have differing opinions. The point I'm making though is that the kids coming back from TAC cup have played 5-6 matches during the year. So I believe they have earned their right to play at their local club in finals.

I actually think you'll find a few of those boys come home to Abers next year. That is the word around the traps anyway, but isn't fact until it happens.

Which boys would be making a return to abers ??

A player can go back and play U19's even if he has played every game in the seniors.
Douttas did it with Peter Ntsalians last year. West Coburg will do it on Saturday you would assume.
How can an Under 19.5 competition be considered to be open age. What does open age mean to you?

A player can go back and play U19's even if he has played every game in the seniors.
Douttas did it with Peter Ntsalians last year. West Coburg will do it on Saturday you would assume.
How can an Under 19.5 competition be considered to be open age. What does open age mean to you?
I don't think he played in the finals.

If you want to get me on a technicality but what I was implying was that the 19s is senior footy in my eyes. Obviously can't mean the word open age...

When talking about By laws it is very much about technicality.
Ntalianis played the first final against West Coburg last year. Pulled out injured before the Keilor game.

When talking about By laws it is very much about technicality.
Ntalianis played the first final against West Coburg last year. Pulled out injured before the Keilor game.

Well I looked at the wording and it said thirds... in the country the thirds implies the under 18s, not the thirds (senior team that came in a few years ago). So an honest mistake.

Who wins this weekend ?

Marby vs Keilor
West Coburg vs Abers

Anyone can give a quick preview on the games ? Both sides important players etc?

Who wins this weekend ?

Marby vs Keilor
West Coburg vs Abers

Anyone can give a quick preview on the games ? Both sides important players etc?
Depends if Keilor play like they did last week. Could be a lot closer than people think.

I will go Abers to beat WC. I haven't looked to see if they have brought any boys in that have been playing school or higher grades.

Y
Who wins this weekend ?

Marby vs Keilor
West Coburg vs Abers

think Keilor will have it over marby especially with marby having a few out. Would also thin abers will be too good at windy hill to beat west coburg having played finals there for years

Y

think Keilor will have it over marby especially with marby having a few out. Would also thin abers will be too good at windy hill to beat west coburg having played finals there for years
I new but been reading for a while. Marby will have the run over Keilor, Keilor have crumbled last 2 finals series and will do so again. Abers to strong for WC and will have psychological edge over Keilor yet again to set up Marby Abers GF. No boys leaving Marby to head home Macca didn't play as he didn't get clearance was a supporter at every Marby game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back