Under 19.5 Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

A week or so ago I asked how many clubs won't have 19's this year. Last year it was two in premier division. This year could it be four. Greenvale, West Coburg and I am hearing EDS won't field teams. There is a rumour that Marby last years premiers are struggling as well.
Glenroy will struggle as well

Glenroy will struggle as well

Thought you needed to have this age group to play premier league? I know GV didn’t have a side but that was due to different circumstances..
Especially with the points system if you don’t have 19s you won’t last to long be successful unless you have lots of $$.

So what happens if premier division can only field six u19's teams? Will the league actually take some action to restrict Clubs to two sides in the one age group? will they actually grow some balls and make a club have two sides in the same division, if the second side is better than other clubs first side?

I think the days of having u19's in the same division as their senior's needs to end. More and more boys are leaving the sport at this age group. Some are coming back when Uni or their apprenticeship is finished, but what happens in the mean time.

Thought you needed to have this age group to play premier league? I know GV didn’t have a side but that was due to different circumstances..
Especially with the points system if you don’t have 19s you won’t last to long be successful unless you have lots of $$.
That used to be the rule, but things have changed and need to change to keep up with the fact that boys in the 19's just aren't playing in the numbers they used to. Greenvale and Craigieburn did not have sides last year. It will be more this year.

Last edited:
Ok, will have a chat to him.

Sorry 'Newatthis'- may have interpreted this the wrong way.
Numbers wise - yes they may be 'struggling' compared to last year where they could've almost fielded 2 sides.

I can't see them 'struggling' on field. From what I believe/heard they lose 5 from last years side (which you could argue was one of the best Under 19 sides in footy last year) - Abboud and Davey 2 of those 5 though I think.

Sorry 'Newatthis'- may have interpreted this the wrong way.
Numbers wise - yes they may be 'struggling' compared to last year where they could've almost fielded 2 sides.

I can't see them 'struggling' on field. From what I believe/heard they lose 5 from last years side (which you could argue was one of the best Under 19 sides in footy last year) - Abboud and Davey 2 of those 5 though I think.

Neicho also put a clearance in to leave.

But I don’t think they don’t lose many players going up to open age.

I personally don’t agree with the U17 and U19.5
The best players in this age group are playing TAC Cup or Senior footy

Neicho also put a clearance in to leave.

But I don’t think they don’t lose many players going up to open age.

I personally don’t agree with the U17 and U19.5
The best players in this age group are playing TAC Cup or Senior footy
I was told that Marby had at least 6 players last year that would of had to play senior's or reserves if the league didn't put the age from 19 to 19.5. You would then have to say all of those have gone up or moved clubs.
Also agree that the best 18 and 19 year olds are playing TAC or Seniors.

I was told that Marby had at least 6 players last year that would of had to play senior's or reserves if the league didn't put the age from 19 to 19.5. You would then have to say all of those have gone up or moved clubs.
Also agree that the best 18 and 19 year olds are playing TAC or Seniors.
What clubs are not fielding U 19s this year

What clubs are not fielding U 19s this year
From what I have been told Greenvale, West Coburg, EDS very unlikely and Marby. But have been informed Marby will but not with the same numbers as last year. I personally haven't seen any training sessions for any clubs but reports from contacts indicate this.

From what I have been told Greenvale, West Coburg, EDS very unlikely and Marby. But have been informed Marby will but not with the same numbers as last year. I personally haven't seen any training sessions for any clubs but reports from contacts indicate this.
I work with a relative of one of the u19s and have been told marby to have enough numbers for a team but praying for an injury free year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just seen that Roxy 19’s are playing Greenvales 19’s this Saturday. Looks like Greenvale might have a side

Watched a bit of Craigieburn v Wallan last night. Was good until it got a bit darker when the lights weren't much help. Wind favoured the teams running with it. Eagles looked pretty good actually. With only 6 teams in the comp would be looking at a GF later in the year.

So we have a rematch of last years grand final with Marby vs Abers.

Marby 3-0 in the 3 matches this year however the gap in margin was significantly reduced every time they played.

Any tips?

Marby by 21 and Barba or Mazzeo BOG
Abers have a knack of winning grand finals esp in juniors, so going with them

So we have a rematch of last years grand final with Marby vs Abers.

Marby 3-0 in the 3 matches this year however the gap in margin was significantly reduced every time they played.

Any tips?

Marby by 21 and Barba or Mazzeo BOG
Abers were in front for all of the game except the last 5 minutes. They will take a lot from that game. With the injection of Fry into the side last week I’m tipping them by 10 points. Kennedy BOG

I hear that EDS have announced the U19 coach for next year. Lachlan Meyers who is seems had something to do with their U17 team this year. From watching him play as a junior he was as tough as they come. Did a knee this year which seems to have ended his playing days. Hopefully he goes on and becomes a great coach.

I hear that EDS have announced the U19 coach for next year. Lachlan Meyers who is seems had something to do with their U17 team this year. From watching him play as a junior he was as tough as they come. Did a knee this year which seems to have ended his playing days. Hopefully he goes on and becomes a great coach.

That's fantastic to hear. Ripping kid who has been very unlucky with injuries.

Whats the point of Under 19.5? It sounds harsh but if you cant get a kick in the reserves when you are 18 then give up.

In my opinion the EDFL need to go back to Under 18.

Its no point having old blokes running around in the reserves when kids who are not at senior level are playing Under 19.5.

Good Senior footy is made better by having a strong reserves team.

Whats the point of Under 19.5? It sounds harsh but if you cant get a kick in the reserves when you are 18 then give up.

We have a heap of boys at our club that are still 16 years old but will turn 17 before Jan 1. You want them all to play Senior Football despite not being physically mature? Sure way to drive more boys away from the game

In my opinion the EDFL need to go back to Under 18.

While keeping U17, U15, U13 and U11? Many clubs would struggle further to field teams without the two-year age spread

Its no point having old blokes running around in the reserves when kids who are not at senior level are playing Under 19.5.

Here's a few points. Keeping fit, staying active, running around and having a kick with mates, playing the greatest game on the planet.

Good Senior footy is made better by having a strong reserves team.

And U19s and U17s and U15s and...

We have a heap of boys at our club that are still 16 years old but will turn 17 before Jan 1. You want them all to play Senior Football despite not being physically mature? Sure way to drive more boys away from the game

While keeping U17, U15, U13 and U11? Many clubs would struggle further to field teams without the two-year age spread

Here's a few points. Keeping fit, staying active, running around and having a kick with mates, playing the greatest game on the planet.

And U19s and U17s and U15s and...

I think it works better with 10s, 12s, 16s, 18s and Seniors.
It was that way for years. It wasn't broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back