Under-19 Stars who Amounted to Nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Keays lacked the drive to improve due to his inflated ego by all accounts. Hrysoulakis ended up back at Lalor I think... he just loved taking hangers. :)

Hrysoulakis from all acts couldnt be f... turning up for training.. so they gave him the a.. too busy on the blocks at the Chevron.

Jason Croall U19's Premiership Captain but unfortunately suffered from Adam Oxley syndrome, a degenerative disorder that atrophied his muscle development.

Mark Orval is the story that stands out above the rest.

Was an absolute superstar in the late 80's, but once out of the under 19's he just couldn't get on the park.

Best comparison is obviously to Rusling, as Orval was a fast moving forward who could have been a gun, but injuries ruined that.

Only played 7 games for the pies, was such a pity, he would have been part of our 1990 premiership team without a doubt.

It took him a while, but he eventually amounted to something in the form of #angrydad

(Google it if you don't know what I'm taking about)

One that I don't think has been mentioned is Aaron James. He wasn't drafted that highly (35th in the 1993 draft), but that was as a 16-year-old.
He had all the attributes and was compared in terms of ability (ahtleticism, footskills, etc.) and potential to some very good footballers, was pretty touted.

But injuries (particularly knee injuries) and off-field indiscretions saw him play 23 games with us, then get packaged off to Richmond (we got Jamie Tape and Brad Smith, the Tiges James and a pick they turned into Andrew Kellaway).

He played 30 games for Richmond and at stages looked like he was really going to put it together, only to do his knee again. He then got a final crack at it with the Bulldogs, but only played a solitary game and picked up a solitary possession, kicking a point.

Went on to have a bit of a gun for hire career in various leagues, regularly racking up 100-goal seasons and never staying anywhere too long, before he ended up being deregistered for life (three strikes policy style thing, by the sounds). Found a wikipedia page and a really interesting article on him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...head-aaron-james/story-fn53kliw-1226079277655
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_James_(footballer)

Saw just about all of his games for us. He looked disinterested most of the time but he had that laconic sort of playing style. He was obviously very talented though. The most publicity he got for us was taking a piss under the blackjack table at Crown and getting booted out. This article popped up in The Age today. Things haven't panned out too well:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...t-with-ice-in-wangaratta-20170703-gx3rzs.html

Rory Hilton for Richmond.

A mate of mine played TAC Cup with him and to this day said he was the best under age football player he ever saw.

Didn't floor totally, but never really made it.

One that I don't think has been mentioned is Aaron James. He wasn't drafted that highly (35th in the 1993 draft), but that was as a 16-year-old.
He had all the attributes and was compared in terms of ability (ahtleticism, footskills, etc.) and potential to some very good footballers, was pretty touted.

But injuries (particularly knee injuries) and off-field indiscretions saw him play 23 games with us, then get packaged off to Richmond (we got Jamie Tape and Brad Smith, the Tiges James and a pick they turned into Andrew Kellaway).

He played 30 games for Richmond and at stages looked like he was really going to put it together, only to do his knee again. He then got a final crack at it with the Bulldogs, but only played a solitary game and picked up a solitary possession, kicking a point.

Went on to have a bit of a gun for hire career in various leagues, regularly racking up 100-goal seasons and never staying anywhere too long, before he ended up being deregistered for life (three strikes policy style thing, by the sounds). Found a wikipedia page and a really interesting article on him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...head-aaron-james/story-fn53kliw-1226079277655
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_James_(footballer)

And now in a spot of bother with the law... http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...t-with-ice-in-wangaratta-20170703-gx3rzs.html

Rory Hilton for Richmond.

A mate of mine played TAC Cup with him and to this day said he was the best under age football player he ever saw.

Didn't floor totally, but never really made it.

I played junior footy against Michael Rolfe who ended up at Richmond. Was almost impossible to stop at junior level unless you managed to hit him with some bone crunching tackles early in the game.

Scharenberg

*ducks for cover*
It's funny you say that I think the 2013 if a key reason we find ourselves in this position both Freeman and Scharenberg should both be in the top 10 of our BnF if that was the case coupling them with Moore DeGoey and Maynard we are looking good. Furthermore we went away from our recruiting plan to secure Treloar in part because Freeman failed. Going for Treloar we had to much confidence in Cloke. Internally when we made that deal we would have believed that he would still be able to manage 40 goals this year and next

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was also going to say Wes Fellowes but somehow he won a copeland. Still to this day don't know how that happened.

you reminded me... 1986... he didn't get more than 20 hit outs once in that season.... and on 9 yes NINE occasions, he got less than 10....yes TEN ...disposals......9 times less than 10 disposals.....one goal in the whole season....

if I remember correctly, he was very well connected at the club...

Haven't read the entire thread so apologies if he's been mentioned - Neil Brindley.
Captained our 1986 under 19 Premiership and that's about it.
"Brindley played his first senior game in the opening round of the 1987 VFL season, in a 91-point loss to the Sydney Swans at Victoria Park.[2] He was one of seven Collingwood players making their league debut that day, four of them future premiership players in Gavin Brown, Michael Christian, Gavin Crosisca and Craig Starcevich. Brindley however would never play again in the VFL"

Mark Orval is the story that stands out above the rest.

Was an absolute superstar in the late 80's, but once out of the under 19's he just couldn't get on the park.

Best comparison is obviously to Rusling, as Orval was a fast moving forward who could have been a gun, but injuries ruined that.

Only played 7 games for the pies, was such a pity, he would have been part of our 1990 premiership team without a doubt.

Mark orval angry dad cant belive he played for collingwood

Haven't read the entire thread so apologies if he's been mentioned - Neil Brindley.
Captained our 1986 under 19 Premiership and that's about it.
"Brindley played his first senior game in the opening round of the 1987 VFL season, in a 91-point loss to the Sydney Swans at Victoria Park.[2] He was one of seven Collingwood players making their league debut that day, four of them future premiership players in Gavin Brown, Michael Christian, Gavin Crosisca and Craig Starcevich. Brindley however would never play again in the VFL"
Brindley wasn't the captain. I'm not sure if maybe he captained one game but Jason Croall was definitely the official captain and the vice captain was Gavin Brown.

Mark Orval angry dad cant belive he played for collingwood

An absolute travesty his career was cut down by stress fractures in his feet (from memory). Gees we've had some bad luck with talented forwards, Rusling, Davidson, Orval.

Brindley wasn't the captain. I'm not sure if maybe he captained one game but Jason Croall was definitely the official captain and the vice captain was Gavin Brown.

I always thought Boyd was the captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back