UNDER 19'S southern football league 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard bad news that Bentleigh and East Brighton may not field any U/19? Can anyone verify this as it is sad for any comp
Can confirm bentleigh have about 18 with 4-5 turning 16 this year, could make a side if they got some 17's

Also hearing highet to have a strong side with majority of the St.peters boys heading over

I heard bad news that Bentleigh and East Brighton may not field any U/19? Can anyone verify this as it is sad for any comp
EB and bentleigh 19's have merged, EB the ones to ask. Will be a very strong side if they can synergise

Also hearing highet to have a strong side with majority of the St.peters boys heading over

Not sure where you are getting your mail from Langers, but the boys who are leaving St Peters are going all over the place. Cheltenham have picked up a few, St Bedes at least 4 or 5, Parkdale 2 possibly 3, St Pauls xxx ? And a few are staying.

Not sure where you are getting your mail from Langers, but the boys who are leaving St Peters are going all over the place. Cheltenham have picked up a few, St Bedes at least 4 or 5, Parkdale 2 possibly 3, St Pauls xxx ? And a few are staying.
This was late feb when quite a few of those boys were undecided

At least 10 going to De La Salle. Won't be many left for Highett !
Yeah have since been told highett are needing U17 fill ins most weeks, they've got their first praccy against hammers Thursday so that'll give a better indication

This is now fact, check out the SFL web site. Good result for the unders to keep them on the park.
Not too sure how the combining of the ressies with go though.
Yes good by both clubs keeping on the park in unders, bentleigh were lacking talls in 19s ans EB have a few so I'd think they're good chance for finals once more

Last edited:
SATURDAY:
BentleighEB lost to Oakleigh Krushers by 8 points, still impressive considering most players had never spoken before the day. Very good as they found structure and built a game plan keeping Oakleigh 2.2 in the second half

Hampton beat Highett by 65 points and I quote a player in saying "hammers will go very well this year"

Fixture up for the first couple of rounds on the website (11 teams / 12 clubs) with the joint EB-Bentleigh team. Surprised that neither Skye or CPL had a team this year thought the Southern part of the league was where all the growth corridor was for juniors. Only a couple of seasons back Skye had 2 teams they must be disappointed they couldn't get a team together this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fixture up for the first couple of rounds on the website (11 teams / 12 clubs) with the joint EB-Bentleigh team. Surprised that neither Skye or CPL had a team this year thought the Southern part of the league was where all the growth corridor was for juniors. Only a couple of seasons back Skye had 2 teams they must be disappointed they couldn't get a team together this year.

I think you will find most junior kids, if they have half an ability, are leaving the SFL in droves for mpnfl. the southern football league is a sinking ship, and doesnt have much of an optimistic outlook, even if they got rid of that idiot ceo cannizzaro or whatever his name is, they will still be fighting an uphill battle.

I think you will find most junior kids, if they have half an ability, are leaving the SFL in droves for mpnfl. the southern football league is a sinking ship, and doesnt have much of an optimistic outlook, even if they got rid of that idiot ceo cannizzaro or whatever his name is, they will still be fighting an uphill battle.
Bit harsh there mate, I'd say SFL is looking a little better now, the more VFL listed players selecting SFL clubs is definitley good aswell. SFL has always been considered "not that skilled", I think getting rid of that image would certainly be good

Travel would be a huge issue aswell there, not many would be keen for the hour drive to most grounds

SATURDAY:
BentleighEB lost to Oakleigh Krushers by 8 points, still impressive considering most players had never spoken before the day. Very good as they found structure and built a game plan keeping Oakleigh 2.2 in the second half

Hampton beat Highett by 65 points and I quote a player in saying "hammers will go very well this year"

Langers – Krushers are in the 5th division of VAFA unders this year so not sure this result is all that impressive.

Again disappointed to see less than a third of SFL clubs bother with Colts again this year. If Colts are to flourish then time for the SFL admin to make some hard decisions.

Langers – Krushers are in the 5th division of VAFA unders this year so not sure this result is all that impressive.

Again disappointed to see less than a third of SFL clubs bother with Colts again this year. If Colts are to flourish then time for the SFL admin to make some hard decisions.
Again as the first time the full group were together I'd say it was good to see them start to gel more so than the results, I do agree on the poor effort of colts but with the VAFA, EFL and Nepean League right next to us with bigger and stronger competition it's a little hard to sell

Again as the first time the full group were together I'd say it was good to see them start to gel more so than the results, I do agree on the poor effort of colts but with the VAFA, EFL and Nepean League right next to us with bigger and stronger competition it's a little hard to sell

Well it shouldn't be and maybe the league administrators need to do more to promote the Colts. EB and Bentleigh both SFL Div 1 clubs with aligned juniors so have a decent head start on other clubs I would suggest.

Until all clubs support the concept and we have 2 divisions, promotion/relegation and more competitive matches the Colts will continue to tread water.

Well it shouldn't be and maybe the league administrators need to do more to promote the Colts. EB and Bentleigh both SFL Div 1 clubs with aligned juniors so have a decent head start on other clubs I would suggest.

Until all clubs support the concept and we have 2 divisions, promotion/relegation and more competitive matches the Colts will continue to tread water.
It Is not just an SFL issue it is right across all leagues at under 18 and 19 levels as the drop off from under 15 to 18 & 19 level is huge.
I a worried where the crop of next senior footballers are going to come from we are already seeing the flow on effect with a number of clubs struggling with numbers for their seconds .The afl has their head up their collective arses and think there is nothing wrong because the junior numbers are good .That is a false assumption on their behalf. I have been involved at 18 and 19 levels in the NFL and EDFL over the past 5 years so I have some knowledge of this problem just my thoughts

I wouldn't say that EB and Bentleigh have too much of a head start as both are now struggling for numbers. EB haven't had a good alignment with their juniors for a number of years and for a number of reasons. Bentleigh have had some coming through but as it happens like the '' cycle of life '' things don't always remain the same. I would be able to name at least 10 x 18 yr olds who have been lured to other clubs for a tidy match fee, so they jump the 19's and play seniors for some weekend cash, can't blame them really, can we ?????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back