Unofficial Preview Under 23's Adelaide vs Port Thebarton Oval, Saturday February 29, 11.50am, AFC Media live stream available

Remove this Banner Ad

It was nothing to do with Godden. Gooch brought it upon himself. He wasn't given those benchmarks to reach one week before last weeks game, he was given them ages ago, by not meeting them he brought the "why isn't Gooch playing question" on to Godden, who answered truthfully.

Keen to see where Gooch plays in this game and how he goes, hope he crushes it.
I fear there's a "go home" stink around the Gooch.

Starting to think this game will be the only time we see much of our youth. More an SANFL rehearsal than anything.

I was optimistic about a list refresh but as we get closer to R1 the side is shaping up to very similar to last year.

Of the young brigade Jones and Fogarty will play. But after that there’s a few names battling for just 2-3 spots at best. McHenry, Davis, Stengle, McAdam all a chance for a forward role. Maybe Butts if Hartigan doesn’t come up. Maybe Poholke.

Otherwise we will see primarily the same names who failed last year. I guess the question becomes how much can the new admin get out of those players, and how much the old affected their performances.
I agree that the starting 22 won't be too different to last year, hence why we will still be fairly competitive at the start of the season. But as soon as we get a few injuries that is when we will start to see an influx on the younger guys come in. We don't have Douglass and Otten this year to bring straight in when we get an injury.

No you’ve misread that. McHenry, Stengle, Davis and McAdam fighting it out for 1 spot.

Maybe a defensive spot to Butts IF Hartigan doesn’t come up. And maybe a spot for Poholke. That’s 1 definite spot and 2 maybes.

ROB played most of last year and kept Sauce out so he’s part of the side.

Jones and Fogarty were actually playing too but let’s call it 2 new spots. So all up definitely 3 new spots. Maybe another 2 but that’s doubtful.

We’ll still have Gibbs and DMac lining up as cooked the players. Hartigan will play if fit.

Not a particularly big turnover by any means and you can be sure that most of the kids playing SANFL last year will line up there again.
Would have thought more changes than that, also remembering injuries will create more opportunities too.

Jenkins > Fogarty
Betts > Stengle
Douglas > McAdam, McHenry, etc

Hopefully
Mackay > Jones
Hartigan > McAsey
Kelly > Doedee

I suspect we will have plenty of players under 30 games playing this year most games, including most of our forward line.

Or maybe he’s another victim of the Pyke/Burton era and he’s still head f’ed and had a gut full of the club?
How about a player taking full responsibility for his perdoemanxe?

Gouch was a top 20 draft pick, yet to cement his name in the best 22, he has a new coach and its his last year on contract

Its time for Gouch to own it and get his head in the game or he will be spat oht of the AFL system

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would have thought more changes than that, also remembering injuries will create more opportunities too.

Jenkins > Fogarty
Betts > Stengle
Douglas > McAdam, McHenry, etc

Hopefully
Mackay > Jones
Hartigan > McAsey
Kelly > Doedee

I suspect we will have plenty of players under 30 games playing this year most games, including most of our forward line.
You’re a bit more optimistic than me. There’s a few you mention I’d like to see the back of but I’m resigned to them bobbing up again.

Pretty disappointing career from Gooch so far. He's really failed to grasp what AFL is about. The reality is that he's going to find himself out of the AFL very quickly if he's not careful.
Unfortunately, this is not an issue he developed at the Crows. I remember when he was drafted, the club organised a host family for him to move in to. Gooch decided that he didn't require the host family and despite the club consistently telling him it would be better for him, he refused and wanted to live on his own. At that point he thought he was superior to the other draftees and hence shouldn't be living with them.

Pretty disappointing career from Gooch so far. He's really failed to grasp what AFL is about. The reality is that he's going to find himself out of the AFL very quickly if he's not careful.
Unfortunately, this is not an issue he developed at the Crows. I remember when he was drafted, the club organised a host family for him to move in to. Gooch decided that he didn't require the host family and despite the club consistently telling him it would be better for him, he refused and wanted to live on his own. At that point he thought he was superior to the other draftees and hence shouldn't be living with them.

Sounds like the exact player that we push out of the club, gets a wake up call, goes back to Melbourne (probably a club like Hawthorn), gets his brain switched on and dominates for another team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like the exact player that we push out of the club, gets a wake up call, goes back to Melbourne (probably a club like Hawthorn), gets his brain switched on and dominates for another team

Sounds more like Lance Picioane to me. Middling sort of midfielder, late first round pick, never establishes position at Adelaide, gets traded to Hawthorn where he had a middling sort of career before a handful of games with the Kangaroos prior to being forgotten forever. Except by me, obviously :p

Last edited:
On a side note I’m stoked Seedsman is playing tomorrow. Still think he has all the tools to be one of the top wingman in the league if he can put together a full season.

he had a down year last year for a multitude of reasons but there was about a 6-7 game stretch in 2018 where he looked AA quality.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he dominated tomorrow

And yet someone here was quoting a statistic that said Gallucci had the highest average goal assists in the AFL after Ablett

Personally I think your estimation might be a bit skinny. I would assume FOG, Jones, AND Stengle are as close to locks as you will get and 1 of McHenry, Davis, McAdam or Kaeys is in line for a forward/bench spot. I do think Poholke has the inside track for a midfield rotation bench spot as well.

ROB might be seen as someone who is "experienced", but the fact is he's still only 23 and 20 games in. That's youth anyway you cut it! And I know there is talk of the small forward line, but I am almost 100% certain 1 of Berg or Billy will be playing come round 1.

Couldn't agree more on Gibbs and Dmac, I don't want them in the side and think its only a matter of time. In fact I highly doubt DMac gets the round 1 nod (I look forward to everyones Dmac always getting named jokes).

For me that's 6 guys minimum but probably 7, which I can live with. If that number goes down to 3-4 I will admittedly be pretty dark!
I do want Gibbs in the side if it's the 2018 Gibbs out there, I do not want Gibbs out there if it's the 2019 vintage Gibbs. Even if it was the 2019 vintage Gibbs I'd argue he's more value than Mackay.

I do want Gibbs in the side if it's the 2018 Gibbs out there, I do not want Gibbs out there if it's the 2019 vintage Gibbs. Even if it was the 2019 vintage Gibbs I'd argue he's more value than Mackay.
If it is an option out of those 2, Gibbs would be a no brained. But if it’s an option of play either of those 2 and McHenry... you know where I’m going with this ...

Starting to think this game will be the only time we see much of our youth. More an SANFL rehearsal than anything.

I was optimistic about a list refresh but as we get closer to R1 the side is shaping up to very similar to last year.

Of the young brigade Jones and Fogarty will play. But after that there’s a few names battling for just 2-3 spots at best. McHenry, Davis, Stengle, McAdam all a chance for a forward role. Maybe Butts if Hartigan doesn’t come up. Maybe Poholke.

Otherwise we will see primarily the same names who failed last year. I guess the question becomes how much can the new admin get out of those players, and how much the old affected their performances.
Youve ended up pretty flat Pete, dont quite see why...... yet.

We werent going to have 10-12 kids in the side in R1, not when youve got guys like the Crouches, Walker, Sloane, Lynch, Laird, Milera and co all clearly in the best 22. That and ROB will take the place of Jacobs who inexplicably played out the season plus Doedee when fit. I think youll see Fog, Berg/Frampton, Stengle, McAdam, Jones, Neddy, Butts and/or McAsey along with Keays and maybe Crocker. That's 7-8 new or very near new faces who will take the field in R1.

If Mackay or Gibbs or god forbid both play, then thatll flatten things

The issue for me isn't really that he's a bad player with no future at AFL level. He's not terrible, personally I don't see him making it, but you do need depth. And experience in the SANFL doesn't hurt.

My problem is more that he cannot play any position other than inside midfield. And we have several guys we should be prioritizing in that position like Schoenberg, Poholke, even Gallucci.

If we could put Wilson in a back pocket, fine, retain him for that experience. But as far as I see it, he's likely to play an entire season of inside midfield at SANFL level and what does that do for the other guys?
Can easily play HB at that level, its where he played a fair bit of footy.

Youve ended up pretty flat Pete, dont quite see why...... yet.

We werent going to have 10-12 kids in the side in R1, not when youve got guys like the Crouches, Walker, Sloane, Lynch, Laird, Milera and co all clearly in the best 22. That and ROB will take the place of Jacobs who inexplicably played out the season plus Doedee when fit. I think youll see Fog, Berg/Frampton, Stengle, McAdam, Jones, Neddy, Butts and/or McAsey along with Keays and maybe Crocker. That's 7-8 new or very near new faces who will take the field in R1.

If Mackay or Gibbs or god forbid both play, then thatll flatten things
Kablamo.

I want to see kids as much as the next guy, but not if it means watching these kids copping 90 point floggings every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back