Unofficial Preview Under 23's Adelaide vs Port Thebarton Oval, Saturday February 29, 11.50am, AFC Media live stream available

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading this morning about us having to make a call on James Matthews and that this may be the crunch opportunity for him.

Liked his efforts late last year -genuinely explosive pace. Tough with all of Murphy, Stengle and McHenry running around at sub 180.

One to watch on Saturday
Quick preview

Will be worth watching just for the rare opportunity to see McPherson on a football field :p
I will be selling "I saw McPherson play a game for the Crows" t-shirts outside after the game.

Sure to be a collector's item.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quick preview

That last goal was the one I really liked, he has speed but he has awareness around it and always settles before disposal. How that will translate into the AFL is a question to be asked as that game is a speed above the SANFL, but Matthews I am quite bullish that he would be able to provide something we really, really lack.

That last goal was the one I really liked, he has speed but he has awareness around it and always settles before disposal. How that will translate into the AFL is a question to be asked as that game is a speed above the SANFL, but Matthews I am quite bullish that he would be able to provide something we really, really lack.
Did you guys not do a podcast this week?

He has something that those other 3 don't have, and that's genuine straight line speed.

Stengle is a jitterbug and is super quick in tight spaces, but I don't remember ever seeing him burn off a player in a straight line before. Matthews i've seen play 2 games, and he's already showed that trait on multiple occasions. Which means he has it, and more importantly he loves to use it! I'm tired of having supposedly fast players who seemingly never want to get into high gear (one of my biggest pet peeves about Milera in the early years).

For me its such a small risk vs high reward. If we sign him and he doesn't pan out he will play in our SANFL side. If we don't sign him he will be a top up player and still play in our SANFL side. May as well give the kid a shot IMO.
Stengle’s a lot faster than he looks IMO.. seen him use his pace a few times to chase down and tackle an opponent in the SANFL last year and remember thinking “he’s deceptively quick for a wombat”..

Stengle’s a lot faster than he looks IMO.. seen him use his pace a few times to chase down and tackle an opponent in the SANFL last year and remember thinking “he’s deceptively quick for a wombat”..
For me Stengle's speed reminds me more of Eddie Betts speed. Lots of short fast movements which gives him great lateral movement and change of direction. I wouldn't be surprised if he has pretty handy top end speed too, but I just think he uses it in short area much more from what i've seen.

Matthews speed looks more similar to Charlie Cameron's speed. Just a pure straight line burst that he's always looking to exploit. Thats the trait that I love. The best example of it that I remember was a young Chris Judd.

Wombats are very fast, if provoked, but stubborn. When I'm walking the hound, they will stand defiantly until you get within a certain distance, and then take off like the clappers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad

Jordon Butts
Ben Crocker
Ben Davis
Darcy Fogarty
Billy Frampton
Jordan Gallucci
Lachlan Gollant
Will Hamill
Kyle Hartigan
Elliott Himmelberg
Chayce Jones
Ben Keays
Jake Kelly
Fischer McAsey
Ned McHenry
Andrew McPherson
Ronin O'Connor
Myles Poholke
Harry Schoenberg
Paul Seedsman
Lachlan Sholl
Kieran Strachan
Patrick Wilson
Josh Worrell
Damon Arnold
Mitch Marini
James Mathews
Matt Merrett

I assume we'll like up like this

B Kelly - Hartigan - Butts
HB Sholl - McAsey - Hamill
C Gallucci - Jones - Seedsman
HF McHenry - Frampton - Keays
F Davis - Fogarty - Himmelberg
R Strachan - Poholke - Wilson

I McPherson - Schoenberg - Worrell - Crocker
I O'Connor - Gollant - (Arnold) - (Merrett)
I (Marini) - (Mathews)

Squad

Jordon Butts
Ben Crocker
Ben Davis
Darcy Fogarty
Billy Frampton
Jordan Gallucci
Lachlan Gollant
Will Hamill
Kyle Hartigan
Elliott Himmelberg
Chayce Jones
Ben Keays
Jake Kelly
Fischer McAsey
Ned McHenry
Andrew McPherson
Ronin O'Connor
Myles Poholke
Harry Schoenberg
Paul Seedsman
Lachlan Sholl
Kieran Strachan
Patrick Wilson
Josh Worrell
Damon Arnold
Mitch Marini
James Mathews
Matt Merrett
Hartigan, Jones, Seed and Kelly interesting. Would suggest they have some more competition for spots than you'd have previously thought?

Hartigan, Jones, Seed and Kelly interesting. Would suggest they have some more competition for spots than you'd have previously thought?

Not sure. The players we left out were Milera, Stengle and Murphy (all eligible). Hartigan and Seedsman didn't play last weekend when they otherwise would have.

You'd think we are going to play more than just 3 under 23 players in our best 22.

The interesting one is Kelly. Why is he in this side? He's 25

Not sure. The players we left out were Milera, Stengle and Murphy (all eligible). Hartigan and Seedsman didn't play last weekend when they otherwise would have.

You'd think we are going to play more than just 3 under 23 players in our best 22.

The interesting one is Kelly. Why is he in this side? He's 25
My guess is that they've already earmarked Murphy, Stengle and Milera as likely for round one, hence they play both senior preseason games.

Then you've got the senior boys who are vying for spots (Kelly, Hartigan, Seed,) getting an extra game in to prove their cases or come back fitness wise.

Then your younger quality such as Jones and Fog getting games purely for the sake of getting some under the belt.

No McAdam either is very interesting.

I would say next week we should be seeing something close to our perceived best 22, give or take up to 5 players that Nicks wants a closer look at.

My guess is that they've already earmarked Murphy, Stengle and Milera as likely for round one, hence they play both senior preseason games.

Then you've got the senior boys who are vying for spots (Kelly, Hartigan, Seed,) getting an extra game in to prove their cases or come back fitness wise.

Then your younger quality such as Jones and Fog getting games purely for the sake of getting some under the belt.

No McAdam either is very interesting.

I would say next week we should be seeing something close to our perceived best 22, give or take up to 5 players that Nicks wants a closer look at.

McAdam is 24, so maybe he didn't qualify?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back