Under/overrated 2017 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Read my post below his I imagine the reasons are similar.

He just drops too many easy marks and has horrible consistency. I think he has played only a handful of good games all year.

Agreed. But he lacks real desire. Has talent but, the only reason he is talked about as a high pick is because of the lack of high end KPP prospects in this draft. Desire can't be taught. I know of 5 clubs who wouldn't touch him with a top 15 pick.

Underrated: Lachlan Fogarty, Ben Miller, Sam Taylor
Overrated: Jarrod Brander (too inconsistent too many easy marks dropped), Lochie O'brien (inside game nonexistent), Jack Higgins (Vanilla)

Also on the anti O'Brien train. Not only have questions over his football but his general personality and endeavor.

Underrated:
James Worpel - wouldn't have put him in this category a few months back, but he seems to be rated into the 30's by many now, I still see him making a big impact as an inside mid at AFL level. Has the offensive power and tackling prowess not many have.
Zac Bailey - I rate him highly, seems to have a very nice all round game. Can rush kicks at times, but that's expected when you're almost always weaving and moving through packs at full speed. Will absolutely be a player, and should go in the top 20.
Will Walker - what I've seen of him makes me wonder why he isn't rated higher. Good ability to win his own ball, can kick a goal, can tackle, can do a lot of things. His rate of improvement over the course of this year makes me think his ceiling's high, too.

Overrated:
Matthew Ling - I rate him as a 35-40 prospect. For a guy who has superb endurance, he still just doesn't get enough ball. I also feel his footskills are a little overrated. Could definitely still be a player, I just don't see how he's a top 25 prospect like most see him.
Ryley Stoddart - similar sort of problem in that he just doesn't accumulate enough for an U18 half back than I'd like. The likes of Bailey Morrish and Sam Walker were IMO more dangerous half backs last year, and they didn't get drafted. He's an early 40's prospect, for mine.

Underrated: Lachlan Fogarty, Ben Miller, Sam Taylor
Overrated: Jarrod Brander (too inconsistent too many easy marks dropped), Lochie O'brien (inside game nonexistent), Jack Higgins (Vanilla)

LOB inside game isn't great, but he does the outside stuff very well, already runs 2km in 6.12, that's considered elite at most AFL clubs and he's left boot is top shelf stuff, Brad Hill doesn't have much of an inside game, still a very good player, being able to win your own footy is a important trait to have, but high level kicking skills and being able to run like the wind are important traits too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underrated: J Higgins and a couple of late draftees or rookies Geordie Nagle avg 26 in Tac games, won B&F playing back pocket/ back flank from Sandringham. Ethan Phillips from Oakleigh Chargers, solid KPD, had some injuries late in the season but shut down many KPF and his direction and run was very good.
Overrated: Jack Petruccelle as in being rate at such a high pick and just doesn’t find enough of the ball. Murphy being rated as a first rounder and very outside.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Overrated LDU isn't even the best midfielder in the draft and everyone wants Us to pick at 1 I rate him at 8 in my rankings

Underrated Higgins Morrish medalists has so much talent is probably seen as a small forward which is why he isn't rated in the top 10

I was beginning to wonder the same for LDU so it’s good to see I’m not on my own. I’m only a casual observer, but anything earlier than pick 5-6 would make me feel uncomfortable.

Underrated would be Butts for me. I’m late to the party with him, but all and sundry have him as a late draft option and he screams 2 round pick to me with his marking, production and scope for development (82kg and draft eligible by one day).

I can’t help feeling that if he were a week younger he’d be talked up as one to watch in 2018 given his numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back