Under-rated travel destinations/attractions | BigFooty

Under-rated travel destinations/attractions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 00Stinger, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    Thread title is pretty self explanatory.

Washington DC- With all of the memorials and libraries this is a place you could really get lost in. I only spent 3 days here but really wish I had more time. Would love to go back

Kefalonia- A Greek island that never really gets mentioned compared to Mykanos and Santorini but imo is much better than the two mentioned. The Melasani caves with the underground lagoon to Myrtos beach. This place is truly beautiful and isn't as touristy as the other islands as well as being much bigger

Katherine Gorge- 400-500km south of Darwin this is absolutely spectacular. Right in our own backyard. The water and rock formations are truly spectacular

Loch Ard Gorge- the cliffs overlooking the beach is amazing.

JimDocker, Silent Alarm and RustyHawk like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. rdhopkins2

rdhopkins2 Carpe Diem

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Box Hill Hawks
    Ballarat

The place to be.

3. ash_1050

ash_1050 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
    Lake Ohrid - Macedonia. Absolutely gorgeous, dirt cheap and overlooked by everyone asides from Germans and Russians.

[​IMG]

4. Gigantic

Gigantic Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
    Ljubljana, Slovenia.

A nice city living in the shadows of some great cities of the bordering countries such as Venice, Vienna and Zagreb.

JCHolmes, JimDocker and Gibbsy like this.
  5. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney
    Will always say Innsbruck, Austria

1989 and tuckylives like this.
  6. nobbyiscool

nobbyiscool Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
    Zimbabwe... Ahhh, Zimbabwe :hearteyes:

I'm not a particularly seasoned international traveller, and I never imagined that Africa would be among the first places I went. But I had a friend living in South Africa, and we decided to go to Zim as well. Best thing I've ever done.

We went for Victoria Falls - we stayed for the beautiful people and the amazing countryside. After originally planning to spend 3 days there, and only in Vic Falls, we ended up staying twice as long so we could travel to Bulawayo as well. I'd like to go back to see Vic Falls during the dry season (we were there during wet season), and so I could go to Harare. The political climate is only going to get better too.

------

I am a very seasoned traveller of Australia. I know I'm biased having grown up in Tassie - but the Freycinet National Park/Wineglass Bay is a little drop of heaven in Australia. The term "God's country" is a horribly overused cliche, but it's really appropriate when you're sitting at the top of the lookout. If you drive from Hobart, there's some great little towns either on the way, or just out of the way as well (Richmond, Port Arthur, Orford.)

7. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    isnt the melasani cave supposed to be a huge tourist trap where you can only visit if you are in cramped boats with other tourists?

8. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Swiss Alps. Contains the best scenery in all of europe and one of the most scenic spots in the world. Yet most young people who visit Europe rarely include it in a trip even though its right in the middle and easily accessible by trains from France, Italy and Germany.

Kauai in Hawaii. Honolulu is average to awful in parts and Maui meets popular expectations. But Kauai is amazing and truly world class. It should be the first spot anyone goes to when visiting Hawaii.

Agree on Washington Dc. Gets a lot of bad rap but is a beautiful town full of history and some of americas best musuems. Would not go to American east coast solely to visit it but its a must stop if you are going to the East coast for other reasons.

would also add the dordogne in France. The place to go to see medieval towns and castles in excellent forest and limestone cliff scenery. Some of the oldest rock paintings in the world too.

jerry springer and The Dice Man like this.
  9. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    To an extent. But it is small and there arent many tourists. Lines move extremely fast. There is like a 10-15 minute wait at worst

Highly recomended

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Seeds likes this.
  10. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    i would also recommend going to famous places in europe in the 6 months after a terrorist attack. Americans really are massive scaredy cats and avoid these places despite all the mass shootings at home. Went to paris in early summer after the paris attacks and had the place largely to ourselves. walked straight into the Louvre with not one person in the queue at usual peak time of the day. Could pretty much walk up to any restaurant, cafe or nightclub and get straight in. It was amazing.

11. raskolnikov

raskolnikov Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Lions
    Russia. Especially Ekaterinburg and St. Petersburg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Did a 10 day trek in Sumatra (north western indo) absolutely stunning rainforest and wildlife.

Most others I’ve been aren’t really off the beaten path but I thought Boston was the best city in the US and Memphis was awesome as well (over the more popular NYC, LA etc) also thought Kyoto was incredible.

Shell likes this.
  13. Tannehill17

Tannehill17 Team Captain

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    seahawks, Purdue, Pacers
    Skating on the Rideau Canal was one of the best things I’ve ever done. Ottawa is ok, felt like -40 and some of the buildings are beautiful. The canal only opened the day I got there and spent about 3 hours each day just skating along.

14. Tannehill17

Tannehill17 Team Captain

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    seahawks, Purdue, Pacers
    Have a few mates that go to uni there. Even if they have a few hours in between classes, they’ll go for a quick ski. :D:D

robbieando likes this.
  15. Coach Bombay

Coach Bombay Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    The Mighty Ducks
    Having been I must agree, even though it rained the whole time. I'm tipping young travelers give it a miss due to how expensive Switzerland is.

16. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    true those chairlift and train passes are awfully expensive. Can be offset by hiking from lodge to lodge on the top of mountians rather than staying in hotels. I once watched a rainstorm from above the clouds pour on the valley below whilst i was hiking with blue sky around me. It was surreal.

17. Run n Spread

Run n Spread Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    NZ - South Island- Scenery is truly beautiful and unlike anything we have in Australia.

Bali (Outside of Kuta) - Ubud and the mountains, waterfalls and beaches and lakes on the East and South East of the island are spectacular.

18. Hard Ball Get

Hard Ball Get Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Definitely Tasi. On our doorstep and often completely overlooked. Beautiful place.

19. Buzzasto DaSilva

Buzzasto DaSilva Premiership Player

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Islanders
    Baltimore, MD :thumbsu: my favourite city on the East coast.

Also, Puglia in Italy. Most people go to Como or the Almafi coast but Puglia has them covered in my opinion. Very popular amongst Russian and German tourists but never Western. Incredible place. Polignano is the most beautiful town I've ever been to. Great in the winter and spring too- much quieter :thumbsu:

00Stinger likes this.
  20. JG22

JG22 Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Bali, particularly Kuta

Big_Luch, MaddAdam and Hawk Dork like this.
  21. Ciderhound

Ciderhound All Australian

Richmond
    The west coast of Sumatra is spectacular.

phantom13 likes this.
  22. Occidental

Occidental Team Captain

Collingwood
    Ecuador.
    Everyone knows the amazing Galápagos Islands, but mainland Ecuador has great tropical beaches, stunning architecture in Cuenca, the world’s highest volcano in Cotopaxi (which is accessible), great adventure tourism in the jungle highlands around Banos, amazing Andean mountain scenery and Quito the capital is a buzzing and beautiful city.

23. emuboy

emuboy Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    South Fremantle, Sturt
    Adelaide is highly under-rated. I love going there.

JimDocker likes this.
  24. basashi

basashi Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    FFC Quay Club
    within Australia I reckon Albany and surrounds.

if I had to pick one place in Australia to develop into our next big city it would be there.

MaddAdam likes this.
  25. Angus Young

Angus Young Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    not sure if serious or are you 85.

footy75, HairyO and JG22 like this.