Under-rated travel destinations/attractions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ljubljana, Slovenia.

A nice city living in the shadows of some great cities of the bordering countries such as Venice, Vienna and Zagreb.

I have been to Croatia. Split, Dubrovnik and the island of Korcula where my wife's family is from and they were incredibly beautiful. Friends that I know that have been to all of those places have Ljubljana as the most beautiful place they have ever been.

Thread title is pretty self explanatory.

Washington DC- With all of the memorials and libraries this is a place you could really get lost in. I only spent 3 days here but really wish I had more time. Would love to go back

Kefalonia- A Greek island that never really gets mentioned compared to Mykanos and Santorini but imo is much better than the two mentioned. The Melasani caves with the underground lagoon to Myrtos beach. This place is truly beautiful and isn't as touristy as the other islands as well as being much bigger

Katherine Gorge- 400-500km south of Darwin this is absolutely spectacular. Right in our own backyard. The water and rock formations are truly spectacular

Loch Ard Gorge- the cliffs overlooking the beach is amazing.

Washington is incredible. The Americans sure know how to build monuments !

Did a 10 day trek in Sumatra (north western indo) absolutely stunning rainforest and wildlife.

Most others I’ve been aren’t really off the beaten path but I thought Boston was the best city in the US and Memphis was awesome as well (over the more popular NYC, LA etc) also thought Kyoto was incredible.

Boston is my favourite place in the US too. The Freedom Trail that tells story of the beginnings of the American Revolution is brilliant. Chicago is a close second for me. Did an architecture tour while I was there and it was amazing.

I like Adelaide. Great markets, went to the footy, did a tour of Adelaide Oval and went on day trips out to the Barossa and Clare Valleys. Beautiful spot.
Adelaide is good for a short visit.

I normally head over there for a few days every year.

Barossa Valley, Glenelg (during the day), Handorf & Adelaide Oval are all nice enjoyable places

Austin, Texas is a fricken awesome place to listen to music, drink beer, eat BBQ and watch some footballllllllll.

Austin is fantastic. Only spent a weekend there, but had a great Mexican meal, had ribs at Stubbs and saw the Dirty Dozen Brass Band at the legendary Antones.

Boston is my favourite place in the US too. The Freedom Trail that tells story of the beginnings of the American Revolution is brilliant. Chicago is a close second for me. Did an architecture tour while I was there and it was amazing.
Chicago was my favourite city in the USA, loved it

Lake Bled, Slovenia is truly beautiful and Slovenia as a whole is great. Ljubljana is a real gem. Will be back there in August as part of an 8 week trip.
Swiss alps as others have said especially around Interlaken. Murren, Wenger, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Gimmelwald are all picture postcard small towns nestled amongst the alps. Pretty expensive so keeps the crowds down.
If anyone is looking at Sri Lanka I’d recommend Pasikuna, at this stage it is still quite tourist free and is absolutely beautiful

Lake Bled, Slovenia is truly beautiful and Slovenia as a whole is great. Ljubljana is a real gem. Will be back there in August as part of an 8 week trip.
Swiss alps as others have said especially around Interlaken. Murren, Wenger, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Gimmelwald are all picture postcard small towns nestled amongst the alps. Pretty expensive so keeps the crowds down.
If anyone is looking at Sri Lanka I’d recommend Pasikuna, at this stage it is still quite tourist free and is absolutely beautiful
100% agree with Slovenia & Switzerland. I stayed in Piran & Bled. Really liked the Julian Alps and Bled is amazing.
The Intrerlaken area of Switzerland is a stunner. Breathtaking scenery everywhere.
Never been to Sri Lanka, but all I hear are good things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baku Azerbaijan is a hidden gem. A mini Paris.

Iceland is absolutely incredible, no words for that place, Bergen in Norway in really pretty but the Lototon Islands in Northern Norway take the cake, nothing beats the scenery

Tell me more please. I've never been to those cities and likely to be in Russia for the summer (post-World Cup). Curious about Baku too.

St. Petersburg. Architecture . History. Museums. Food. It took me a whole day to walk the 5 kms length of Nevsky Prospekt and take in everything. If you go make sure you take a ferry ride to Peterhof palace. Stunning.

Ekateringburg. Similar to St. Petersburg. A lot of history and museums devoted to Tsar Nicholas II and family.

Warsaw, Poland. Didn't expect it to be the craft beer and hipster capital of Eastern Europe. Ate and drank ourselves silly. Pretty easy on the eye too. Some great, underrated photo opportunities were found on our walking tour.

Budapest, Hungary. Spent 7 weeks in Europe and saw 14 different countries. Budapest was my favourite city. To be fair, it isn't so underrated anymore because I was recommended it by a lot of people, but still didn't expect it to be my favourite place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back