Under-rated travel destinations/attractions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ljubljana, Slovenia.

A nice city living in the shadows of some great cities of the bordering countries such as Venice, Vienna and Zagreb.
This is one I do want to get to.

For the thread: Arequipa is often forgotten among Peru's (rightful) big ticket items. As well as being a great little city, it serves as the jumping off point for the spectacular Colca Canyon including condor viewing.

Cook Islands.

Just got back from a week on Aitutaki.

Just astounding.

Central Asia, specifically Almaty and Lake Issyk-Kul in Kyrgyz Republic. Would love to go the Pamirs but never had the opportunity.

Almaty is a brilliant place, mind bogglingly cool city.

Cook Islands.

Just got back from a week on Aitutaki.

Just astounding.
Spent 8 days on Raro a couple of years ago, wonderful place.

Looking at going back to the Pacific middle of next year.

Was lucky enough to spend a good 5 months travelling across Europe last year with a couple of mates. Visited quite a few places, among the underrated I would include;

- Ljubliana: as stated above, it is an awesome city. Very friendly people, very cheap city, and some really interesting spots. We also went on a pub crawl where you could come on it again as many times as you liked for free (after paying the first time).

- Slovenia: Couldn't just mention Ljubliana by itself, the whole country of Slovenia is stunning. Beautiful mountains, incredible rivers with some of the clearest water you will ever see. What also surprised me was how good the road infrastructure was, the motorways were in tip top condition.

- Mostar: A city with an incredible history, that is still clearly visible. Some highlights include the famous bridge, the old town, and the old abandoned sniper tower.

- Zakynthos: The island itself is quite a busy spot, especially in Laganas where the town is basically a British Bali. But as soon as you leave the main town and start driving round the island, you realise just how beautiful the coastline is. The whole island is covered in olive trees and if you head off the track a bit, you can find some amazing little inlets with some turqoise water (When I get the chance, I'll upload a photo of the water). There is also the famous Navagio 'shipwreck' beach there which is covered in tourists the whole day, but well worth visiting.

- High Tatras Mountains: The whole mountain range is just beautiful with there being plenty of hikes to do. We stayed at a hostel called the Ginger Monkey in a tiny town called Zdiar which is one of the most welcoming and communal hostels I've been to. Also just up the road is Zakopane which is a beautiful mountain region as well

- Tallinn: Also another of my favourite places, the old town is really quite interesting with the country having been occupied by multiple by the Scandinavians and the Germans so there is a great mix of architecture there. There is a fantastic cafe just outside of the old town called Renard which has some great coffee. Its also a custom motorcycle shop, and a barbers as well. Beer is incredibly cheap with our hostel having pints for 2.50 euro, happy hour for 1.50, and then happy happy hour for 1.00. Also found out that there are 6 Boost Juice stores across Estonia which surprised the hell out of me cause I thought they were only in Australia.

Sighisoara Romania

Was lucky enough to spend a good 5 months travelling across Europe last year with a couple of mates. Visited quite a few places, among the underrated I would include;

- Ljubliana: as stated above, it is an awesome city. Very friendly people, very cheap city, and some really interesting spots. We also went on a pub crawl where you could come on it again as many times as you liked for free (after paying the first time).

- Slovenia: Couldn't just mention Ljubliana by itself, the whole country of Slovenia is stunning. Beautiful mountains, incredible rivers with some of the clearest water you will ever see. What also surprised me was how good the road infrastructure was, the motorways were in tip top condition.

- Mostar: A city with an incredible history, that is still clearly visible. Some highlights include the famous bridge, the old town, and the old abandoned sniper tower.

- Zakynthos: The island itself is quite a busy spot, especially in Laganas where the town is basically a British Bali. But as soon as you leave the main town and start driving round the island, you realise just how beautiful the coastline is. The whole island is covered in olive trees and if you head off the track a bit, you can find some amazing little inlets with some turqoise water (When I get the chance, I'll upload a photo of the water). There is also the famous Navagio 'shipwreck' beach there which is covered in tourists the whole day, but well worth visiting.

- High Tatras Mountains: The whole mountain range is just beautiful with there being plenty of hikes to do. We stayed at a hostel called the Ginger Monkey in a tiny town called Zdiar which is one of the most welcoming and communal hostels I've been to. Also just up the road is Zakopane which is a beautiful mountain region as well

- Tallinn: Also another of my favourite places, the old town is really quite interesting with the country having been occupied by multiple by the Scandinavians and the Germans so there is a great mix of architecture there. There is a fantastic cafe just outside of the old town called Renard which has some great coffee. Its also a custom motorcycle shop, and a barbers as well. Beer is incredibly cheap with our hostel having pints for 2.50 euro, happy hour for 1.50, and then happy happy hour for 1.00. Also found out that there are 6 Boost Juice stores across Estonia which surprised the hell out of me cause I thought they were only in Australia.

Would be tempted to put Mostar in the overrated destinations list myself. Complete tourist trap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

asado amazing brother. moving to ciudad de la costa later this month
Cool. I know where that is, but never got there. I liked Uruguay. People were great, food sublime, and a lot more quiet and laid back, especially when compared to the close by Buenos Aires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back