Under-rated travel destinations/attractions

Thread title is pretty self explanatory.

Washington DC- With all of the memorials and libraries this is a place you could really get lost in. I only spent 3 days here but really wish I had more time. Would love to go back

Kefalonia- A Greek island that never really gets mentioned compared to Mykanos and Santorini but imo is much better than the two mentioned. The Melasani caves with the underground lagoon to Myrtos beach. This place is truly beautiful and isn't as touristy as the other islands as well as being much bigger

Katherine Gorge- 400-500km south of Darwin this is absolutely spectacular. Right in our own backyard. The water and rock formations are truly spectacular

Loch Ard Gorge- the cliffs overlooking the beach is amazing.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Lake Ohrid - Macedonia. Absolutely gorgeous, dirt cheap and overlooked by everyone asides from Germans and Russians.

Lake-Ohrid-17.jpg

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Zimbabwe... Ahhh, Zimbabwe :hearteyes:

I'm not a particularly seasoned international traveller, and I never imagined that Africa would be among the first places I went. But I had a friend living in South Africa, and we decided to go to Zim as well. Best thing I've ever done.

We went for Victoria Falls - we stayed for the beautiful people and the amazing countryside. After originally planning to spend 3 days there, and only in Vic Falls, we ended up staying twice as long so we could travel to Bulawayo as well. I'd like to go back to see Vic Falls during the dry season (we were there during wet season), and so I could go to Harare. The political climate is only going to get better too.

------

I am a very seasoned traveller of Australia. I know I'm biased having grown up in Tassie - but the Freycinet National Park/Wineglass Bay is a little drop of heaven in Australia. The term "God's country" is a horribly overused cliche, but it's really appropriate when you're sitting at the top of the lookout. If you drive from Hobart, there's some great little towns either on the way, or just out of the way as well (Richmond, Port Arthur, Orford.)

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Thread title is pretty self explanatory.

Washington DC- With all of the memorials and libraries this is a place you could really get lost in. I only spent 3 days here but really wish I had more time. Would love to go back

Kefalonia- A Greek island that never really gets mentioned compared to Mykanos and Santorini but imo is much better than the two mentioned. The Melasani caves with the underground lagoon to Myrtos beach. This place is truly beautiful and isn't as touristy as the other islands as well as being much bigger

Katherine Gorge- 400-500km south of Darwin this is absolutely spectacular. Right in our own backyard. The water and rock formations are truly spectacular

Loch Ard Gorge- the cliffs overlooking the beach is amazing.
isnt the melasani cave supposed to be a huge tourist trap where you can only visit if you are in cramped boats with other tourists?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Swiss Alps. Contains the best scenery in all of europe and one of the most scenic spots in the world. Yet most young people who visit Europe rarely include it in a trip even though its right in the middle and easily accessible by trains from France, Italy and Germany.

Kauai in Hawaii. Honolulu is average to awful in parts and Maui meets popular expectations. But Kauai is amazing and truly world class. It should be the first spot anyone goes to when visiting Hawaii.

Agree on Washington Dc. Gets a lot of bad rap but is a beautiful town full of history and some of americas best musuems. Would not go to American east coast solely to visit it but its a must stop if you are going to the East coast for other reasons.

would also add the dordogne in France. The place to go to see medieval towns and castles in excellent forest and limestone cliff scenery. Some of the oldest rock paintings in the world too.

isnt the melasani cave supposed to be a huge tourist trap where you can only visit if you are in cramped boats with other tourists?
To an extent. But it is small and there arent many tourists. Lines move extremely fast. There is like a 10-15 minute wait at worst

Highly recomended

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
i would also recommend going to famous places in europe in the 6 months after a terrorist attack. Americans really are massive scaredy cats and avoid these places despite all the mass shootings at home. Went to paris in early summer after the paris attacks and had the place largely to ourselves. walked straight into the Louvre with not one person in the queue at usual peak time of the day. Could pretty much walk up to any restaurant, cafe or nightclub and get straight in. It was amazing.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Russia. Especially Ekaterinburg and St. Petersburg

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did a 10 day trek in Sumatra (north western indo) absolutely stunning rainforest and wildlife.

Most others I’ve been aren’t really off the beaten path but I thought Boston was the best city in the US and Memphis was awesome as well (over the more popular NYC, LA etc) also thought Kyoto was incredible.

Mar 21, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Mighty Ducks
Swiss Alps. Contains the best scenery in all of europe and one of the most scenic spots in the world. Yet most young people who visit Europe rarely include it in a trip even though its right in the middle and easily accessible by trains from France, Italy and Germany.

Having been I must agree, even though it rained the whole time. I'm tipping young travelers give it a miss due to how expensive Switzerland is.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Having been I must agree, even though it rained the whole time. I'm tipping young travelers give it a miss due to how expensive Switzerland is.
true those chairlift and train passes are awfully expensive. Can be offset by hiking from lodge to lodge on the top of mountians rather than staying in hotels. I once watched a rainstorm from above the clouds pour on the valley below whilst i was hiking with blue sky around me. It was surreal.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
NZ - South Island- Scenery is truly beautiful and unlike anything we have in Australia.

Bali (Outside of Kuta) - Ubud and the mountains, waterfalls and beaches and lakes on the East and South East of the island are spectacular.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Baltimore, MD :thumbsu: my favourite city on the East coast.

Also, Puglia in Italy. Most people go to Como or the Almafi coast but Puglia has them covered in my opinion. Very popular amongst Russian and German tourists but never Western. Incredible place. Polignano is the most beautiful town I've ever been to. Great in the winter and spring too- much quieter :thumbsu:

Ciderhound

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Did a 10 day trek in Sumatra (north western indo) absolutely stunning rainforest and wildlife.

Most others I’ve been aren’t really off the beaten path but I thought Boston was the best city in the US and Memphis was awesome as well (over the more popular NYC, LA etc) also thought Kyoto was incredible.

The west coast of Sumatra is spectacular.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ecuador.
Everyone knows the amazing Galápagos Islands, but mainland Ecuador has great tropical beaches, stunning architecture in Cuenca, the world’s highest volcano in Cotopaxi (which is accessible), great adventure tourism in the jungle highlands around Banos, amazing Andean mountain scenery and Quito the capital is a buzzing and beautiful city.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
within Australia I reckon Albany and surrounds.

if I had to pick one place in Australia to develop into our next big city it would be there.

Back