Underperforming Clubs Shouldn't be Abolished

Should underperforming clubs be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 102 63.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep throwing money at bad teams for 30 more years hoping the numbers pick up.

They will pick up. The Giants in particular are doing pretty well considering they joined the competition in 2012. They made the finals in 2016 and played in their first grand final in 2019. They had 25,243 members in 2018.

How many full fee 11 game adult memberships paid for by supporters ?

You tell me. How many for other clubs?

30,109 members in 2019.

The Giants were the second-highest membership tally of any club across all codes in New South Wales, only behind the Sydney Swans and ahead of all NRL clubs.

30,109 members in 2019.

The Giants were the second-highest membership tally of any club across all codes in New South Wales, only behind the Sydney Swans and ahead of all NRL clubs.

Maybe Wookie knows but I suspect its something they wont admit.

The crowds never remotely look like what they claim. So I dont trust membership numbers either.

The crowds never remotely look like what they claim. So I dont trust membership numbers either.

In the end people have other things to do. The Eagles membership list for example is greater than the number of seats available at Optus Stadium but there are always a few thousand vacant unless it's a derby or a final.

If GWS get 30,000 members that's 30,000 lots of memberships bought - they won't care too much if they cannot attend a game they already paid for.

You are talking about clubs that were attracting less than 20k to some home games last season.

Brisbane & Sydney have some of the larger crowds when visiting Melbourne, history indicates they can still follow their team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Link that massive amount of less than 20k home games for the clubs that you haven't even mentioned and then look at Roylion post and then come to the epiphany as to why clubs just aren't willy nilly thrown to the wayside for the sake of 'national'.

If those clubs are somehow not viable they wouldn't be there, this is just purely a wish of yours (and others)

Forgetting of course the charter rules which would require a 3/4 majority vote from the clubs and then of course for the league to agree to the vote before that's even front of mind.

Nah mindsets like yours are just salty anti vic sentiment who have an issue that the comp being centred around where the bulk of the market is.

Not all members attend games. I know two former Fitzroy FC families that were inaugural GIants members and are still paid up members to this day but rarely attend games. The Lions have over 3,000 members in Victoria but most don't attend 11 home games for one main obvious reason.

Sydney’s Olympic Park precinct may also be a problem in attracting crowds in terms of adequate public transport.

Not all members attend games. I know two former Fitzroy FC families that were inaugural GIants members and are still paid up members to this day but rarely attend games. The Lions have over 3,000 members in Victoria but most don't attend 11 home games for one main obvious reason.

Sydney’s Olympic Park precinct may also be a problem in attracting crowds in terms of adequate public transport.

Im saying the top tier is closed and the bottom tier is half full and they claim 12,000 attendance for a ground which holds 25,000.

My thinking is they include 11 home game members whether they turn up or not.

Underperforming clubs absolutely should be abolished just as soon as they stop serving their purpose to the greater good. They should be there to make the competition stronger and if they don't, they are eliminated.

This is how nature itself works and therefore the world. Long after every lefty, liberal moron finally dies (though their incessant whinging will no doubt live on through their endless recorded podcasts and self-serving online crap), the weak will continue to perish whilst the strong survive (sans asteroid or other similar extinction event).

When the AFL became the AFL (at least in name if not practice), the focus needed to shift to what is best for the national code - not what is best for the Italians on Lygon st or the druggies down the beach.

You can go on about history all you like (and I say this with utmost respect for history as a person who has a Masters degree in it- also mechanical engineering, finance and business degrees), but if history is the ONLY purpose you serve, you belong (rightfully) in a museum.

Carlton, North Melbourne and St Kilda are a blight on our national competition. They should be merged or abolished. End of story.

Sometimes less is more. It's up to the AFL to get a better deal to make up the financial losses or start new sides if deemed appropriate.

North and Melbourne should merge and become the Melbourne Demons. Yes, * off North.

Carlton should be abolished under anti-ethnic rules akin to those of the A League.

St Kilda to be merged with Essendon to become the Essendon Kilda Essendons because that's how ridiculous their current name is when you think about it.

Ok, bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30,109 members in 2019.

It matters when they're costing them money.

From the 2018 annual report:
Revenue from membership & merch 1,970,315
Membership expense 2,183,385
Merch expense 154,725

Looks like an investment in an emerging market to me

I don't disagree, but let's not pretend that GWS membership numbers are comparable with clubs that use membership as a (net) revenue source.

Underperforming clubs absolutely should be abolished just as soon as they stop serving their purpose to the greater good. They should be there to make the competition stronger and if they don't, they are eliminated.

This is how nature itself works and therefore the world. Long after every lefty, liberal moron finally dies (though their incessant whinging will no doubt live on through their endless recorded podcasts and self-serving online crap), the weak will continue to perish whilst the strong survive (sans asteroid or other similar extinction event).

When the AFL became the AFL (at least in name if not practice), the focus needed to shift to what is best for the national code - not what is best for the Italians on Lygon st or the druggies down the beach.

You can go on about history all you like (and I say this with utmost respect for history as a person who has a Masters degree in it- also mechanical engineering, finance and business degrees), but if history is the ONLY purpose you serve, you belong (rightfully) in a museum.

Carlton, North Melbourne and St Kilda are a blight on our national competition. They should be merged or abolished. End of story.

Sometimes less is more. It's up to the AFL to get a better deal to make up the financial losses or start new sides if deemed appropriate.

North and Melbourne should merge and become the Melbourne Demons. Yes, fu** off North.

Carlton should be abolished under anti-ethnic rules akin to those of the A League.

St Kilda to be merged with Essendon to become the Essendon Kilda Essendons because that's how ridiculous their current name is when you think about it.

Ok, bye.
Underperforming clubs such as Adelaide don't have much right to be in the national league either

Back