Underperforming Clubs Shouldn't be Abolished

Should underperforming clubs be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 102 63.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol really?

Only guys and girls hurt seem to be in this thread.

P.S no s**t. Maybe those fans who are so outraged in this thread will think about that when going after other clubs fans.

Either way it’s amusing in here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh I agree it's amusing............. posters stating merge them fold this................ all forgetting it doesn't just happen that way.

I don't need to tell you ANY change to a club as far as fold/ merge / move needs to be voted on by 3/4 majority of the leagues clubs then and only then can the league make that RECOMMENDATION. It's in the charter.

Secondly, I don't need to tell you that the supposed 4 vic clubs screech is talking about would be at minimum up for a chartered vote IF they actually were not viable.

That poster is unashamedly in favour of removing/ folding whatever coz nashnil - ain't happenin.

All of these threads are amusing for the reasons I've outlined on top of the insecurity complex as the given impression from posters like that.

'It's our turn now, get rid of those big bad vics I hate them . wah wah wah'

That hypothetical is pretty much what happened, the clubs we used to support in SA and WA are now little more than suburban community clubs,

The profile and status of those clubs was sacrificed to save and enhance the VFL.

Both the WAFL and SANFL continue on as distinct football competitions with their traditional clubs, with very few changes to either competition. Woodville and West Torrens merged in 1990 and Adelaide Crows entered their reserves team in 2014. All other clubs continue on and play against their traditional rivals.

In the WAFL, only Peel Thunder have entered the competition since the advent of the national competition. All other clubs continue in the same competition against their traditional rivals.

All club records in the WAFL and SANFL continue on

A WAFL premiership in 2020 is still a WAFL premiership. Subiaco for example continues in the same competition against the same traditional rivals. All Subiaco's WAFL club records, such as their thirteen premierships continue. When Subiaco next wins a premiership as part of the same competition they've been in since 1901, that will be their fourteenth WAFL premiership.

My club will never play their traditional rivals Collingwood or Carlton again and their hundred year old VFL/AFL records are finished. They will never again have a Brownlow Medallist, never play on the MCG again, never be able to add to their VFL-AFL premierships. Any club removed or merged in the current competition will suffer the same fate.

Both the WAFL and SANFL continue on as distinct football competitions with their traditional clubs, with very few changes to either competition. Woodville and West Torrens merged in 1990 and Adelaide Crows entered their reserves team in 2014. All other clubs continue on and play against their traditional rivals.

In the WAFL, only Peel Thunder have entered the competition since the advent of the national competition. All other clubs continue in the same competition against their traditional rivals.

All club records in the WAFL and SANFL continue on

A WAFL premiership in 2020 is still a WAFL premiership. Subiaco for example continues in the same competition against the same traditional rivals. All Subiaco's WAFL club records, such as their thirteen premierships continue. When Subiaco next wins a premiership as part of the same competition they've been in since 1901, that will be their fourteenth WAFL premiership.

My club will never play their traditional rivals Collingwood or Carlton again and their hundred year old VFL/AFL records are finished. They will never again have a Brownlow Medallist, never play on the MCG again, never be able to add to their VFL-AFL premierships. Any club removed or merged in the current competition will suffer the same fate.

The SANFL and WAFL are the same competitions in name only, they are now little more than AFL Reserves competitions. The clubs no longer have the profile or status that they previously had.

North Adelaide, West Adelaide and Norwood have won Champions of Australia titles, St Kilda & Melbourne have never won a Premiership at the highest level even though they have now had 29 continuous years to do so.

At least Fitzroy have a presence at the highest level in the form of Brisbane, embrace it.

The SANFL and WAFL are the same competitions in name only, they are now little more than AFL Reserves competitions. The clubs no longer have the profile or status that they previously had.

But they do have the continuous history, the traditional rivals, the same home grounds, the same awards etc. as I've already described.

At least Fitzroy have a presence at the highest level in the form of Brisbane, embrace it.

Different clubs.

None of Fitzroy's records continue on in the AFL. Brisbane Bears/Brisbane Lions records are combined by the AFL. Probably correctly.

I would have been quite satisfied if Fitzroy had returned to the VFA, (now the VFL) in their own right and resumed their records from 1884-1896 there.

17,715 - 11 Aug - St Kilda v Fremantle
17,063 - 17 Aug - North Melbourne v Port Adelaide

So you're basing your argument to merge or fold these clubs on 1 game less than 20k, 1 game. Talk about clutching at straws, those games are exceptions to the rule not the rule.

It's clear you have a penchant to tear down vic clubs just solely coz they're vic. That is clear definition you have an inferiority complex, seek help mate.

But they do have the continuous history, the traditional rivals, the same home grounds, the same awards etc. as I've already described.

Different clubs.

None of Fitzroy's records continue on in the AFL. Brisbane Bears/Brisbane Lions records are combined by the AFL. Probably correctly.

I would have been quite satisfied if Fitzroy had returned to the VFA, (now the VFL) in their own right and resumed their records from 1884-1896 there.

Yeah I wouldn't engage with this poster, as soon as screech posted 'At least Fitzroy have a presence at the highest level in the form of Brisbane, embrace it.' Just shows the thinking 'see that's ok just embrace it coz'.

What this dimwit doesn't understand is that that is not ok, the fans of those clubs who will number in the 100's of thousands won't just 'embrace it' and if a vote was passed to merge or fold them then those fans would be lost from the game.

The victim mentality is strong in this one
Oh....I dunno....Wasn't it Geelong that got flogged in two G.F's by us? Looks like you might be the one with the victim mentality. Get over it will you and let me post what i want without losers piping up.

So you're basing your argument to merge or fold these clubs on 1 game less than 20k, 1 game. Talk about clutching at straws, those games are exceptions to the rule not the rule.

It's clear you have a penchant to tear down vic clubs just solely coz they're vic. That is clear definition you have an inferiority complex, seek help mate.

OK then

7/4/2018 - St Kilda v Adelaide - 19,324
21/4/2018 - St Kilda v GWS - 14,956
28/4/2018 - North Melbourne v Port Adelaide - 17,617
8/7/2018 - North Melbourne v Gold Coast - 14,389
26/8/2018 - St Kilda v North Melbourne - 19,866

This isn't a new phenomenon

In 2019, the following games were relocated, as such avoiding the issue:
Melbourne v West Coast (Traeger)
North Melbourne v GWS (Bellerive)
North Melbourne v Melbourne (Bellerive)
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions (Eureka)
St Kilda v Port Adelaide (China)
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide (Eureka)
Melbourne v Adelaide (Marrara)
North Melbourne v St Kilda (Bellerive)
North Melbourne v Sydney (Bellerive)

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't engage with this poster, as soon as screech posted 'At least Fitzroy have a presence at the highest level in the form of Brisbane, embrace it.' Just shows the thinking 'see that's ok just embrace it coz'.

What this dimwit doesn't understand is that that is not ok, the fans of those clubs who will number in the 100's of thousands won't just 'embrace it' and if a vote was passed to merge or fold them then those fans would be lost from the game.

Where are these "100's of thousands" of fans? They do not appear to attend games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK then

7/4/2018 - St Kilda v Adelaide - 19,324
21/4/2018 - St Kilda v GWS - 14,956
28/4/2018 - North Melbourne v Port Adelaide - 17,617
8/7/2018 - North Melbourne v Gold Coast - 14,389
26/8/2018 - St Kilda v North Melbourne - 19,866

This isn't a new phenomenon

In 2019, the following games were relocated, as such avoiding the issue:
Melbourne v West Coast (Traeger)
North Melbourne v GWS (Bellerive)
North Melbourne v Melbourne (Bellerive)
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions (Eureka)
St Kilda v Port Adelaide (China)
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide (Eureka)
Melbourne v Adelaide (Marrara)
North Melbourne v St Kilda (Bellerive)
North Melbourne v Sydney (Bellerive)

So big bad Adelaide only drew 19k, so do we fold or merge them too? What about Port only 17k how would you think HQ would react if a vote was put forward to close them down?

Your argument is emotive based and nothing more, you have a penchant for wanting to remove the smaller clubs in vic because they're vic and nothing else.

Like I said the 100's of thousands that make up those fan bases would be lost from the game if their club was merged or relocated and they don't give a flying what you think is 'best' for the game, they'll tell you to go and get phuqued.

Where are these "100's of thousands" of fans? They do not appear to attend games

The lowest member base of any vic club is around 40k, you say you want the 4 smallers clubs merged or relocated. That's 120k just members not taking into account the paying non member supporters which you could argue is at least double. So it's fair speculation we're talking about more than 200k.

Do you really think the clubs and HQ are going to vote on losing that many supporters?

If you really hate vic and it's clubs so much why don't you go watch the SANFL?

The lowest member base of any vic club is around 40k, you say you want the 4 smallers clubs merged or relocated. That's 120k just members not taking into account the paying non member supporters which you could argue is at least double. So it's fair speculation we're talking about more than 200k.

Do you really think the clubs and HQ are going to vote on losing that many supporters?

If you really hate vic and it's clubs so much why don't you go watch the SANFL?
That sounds like a good supporter base for a single merged club. They might even be able to attract 40k to home games like the big clubs do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good supporter base for a single merged club. They might even be able to attract 40k to home games like the big clubs do.

What supporter base? Who's going to follow them? Mate they'll have less fans than the 3rd divy in the north adelaide league.

I know you're throwing the lure with this post but it's clear you actually think this way, that the fans of the small 4 will cop it up the ass like compliant sheep coz you said so. Yeah nah.

So big bad Adelaide only drew 19k, so do we fold or merge them too? What about Port only 17k how would you think HQ would react if a vote was put forward to close them down?

Adelaide drew 41,444 in 2018 against North Melbourne & 39,984 in 2019 against St Kilda

Port Adelaide drew 36,253 in 2018 against St Kilda & 36,099 in 2019 against North Melbourne

Don't see too many issues there

Your argument is emotive based and nothing more, you have a penchant for wanting to remove the smaller clubs in vic because they're vic and nothing else.

Not Vic, Melbourne yes. There is a disproportionate number of clubs in the one market.

Like I said the 100's of thousands that make up those fan bases would be lost from the game if their club was merged or relocated and they don't give a flying what you think is 'best' for the game, they'll tell you to go and get phuqued.

Those "100's of thousands" do not attend games now, so it does not matter where the club is located.

Adelaide drew 41,444 in 2018 against North Melbourne & 39,984 in 2019 against St Kilda

Port Adelaide drew 36,253 in 2018 against St Kilda & 36,099 in 2019 against North Melbourne

Don't see too many issues there

Not Vic, Melbourne yes. There is a disproportionate number of clubs in the one market.

Those "100's of thousands" do not attend games now, so it does not matter where the club is located.

1/ You just posted crowd figures for ade and port at 19 and 17k respectively.

2/ Vic / Melbourne either either your hatred is showing.

3/ Doesn't matter NO vic (melb) is going anywhere because the clubs / league don't want to lose the fan base. If they weren't viable they wouldn't be in the league.

4/ Think we're done here, enjoy your misery and insecurity.

1/ You just posted crowd figures for ade and port at 19 and 17k respectively.

2/ Vic / Melbourne either either your hatred is showing.

3/ Doesn't matter NO vic (melb) is going anywhere because the clubs / league don't want to lose the fan base. If they weren't viable they wouldn't be in the league.

4/ Think we're done here, enjoy your misery and insecurity.

1) You are stretching if you think the away team is responsible for the home team's lack of support

3) They won't lose the fanbase as they don't attend games and as such it is irrelevant where they are located

1) You are stretching if you think the away team is responsible for the home team's lack of support

3) They won't lose the fanbase as they don't attend games and as such it is irrelevant where they are located

So members and fans aren't fans, ok got it. Meanwhile those clubs with no fan base aren't going anywhere. Enjoy your misery.

Back