Underrated Australian Iconic Locations

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If the Grampians gets me criticized, how about whole State? Tassie is iconic, known the world over but pretty underrated as a destination. Lovely place.

Tassie is great, there's a bit to see, it's quite spread out. I used to manage Tas at my old job so got there 3-4 times a year, very relaxing, good food down there too.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I stopped in Maree, SA for petrol once. "Underrated" wasn't a word that popped into my head to be honest. Hot, dusty, flies - yes. Underrated - no.

There's this little camping area called "Anglers Rest" alongside a river out Omeo way that's nearly perfect

+1 for Merimbula with its second surf beach that you needed to wade across a creek to get to. Had been besmirched by a McDonalds last time I was there, but no HJs. Wheelers Oyster Farm restaurant on Pambula road was my more style.
Sadly the minigolf course and pinball arcade in the center of town have also disappeared.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I stopped in Maree, SA for petrol once. "Underrated" wasn't a word that popped into my head to be honest. Hot, dusty, flies - yes. Underrated - no.

There's this little camping area called "Anglers Rest" alongside a river out Omeo way that's nearly perfect

+1 for Merimbula with its second surf beach that you needed to wade across a creek to get to. Had been besmirched by a McDonalds last time I was there, but no HJs. Wheelers Oyster Farm restaurant on Pambula road was my more style.
Sadly the minigolf course and pinball arcade in the center of town have also disappeared.
Used to pack the long white socks to get into the RSL for the cheap beer and $5 roast back in the day

Shorts required socks to the knees

When my old man used to take us bush in the 80s we discovered one of the advantages of outback pubs is they didn't worry about id too much, Maree Hotel being no exception. As long as your voice had dropped they served you.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I lived in Stawell from about 2-6yo, so Halls Gap was kind of my earliest nature haunt as a kid. Still tease my dad about getting lost up there once during a hailstorm with two little kids and losing his mobile in the process :laughing:

I also was in Merimbula on the night of that '95 easter tornado that tore through the region. I caught my first fish that same weekend.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I guess some iconic Australian locations that are underacknowledged are places like Tarcutta and the Holbrook submarine. I'm sure most people have been there but seldom really talk glowingly about it as a destination lol.

I grew up in Culburra Beach, which happens to be where this Max Dupain photograph was taken.

1614218178519.png

The surfing Wrights also grew up here. One of those beset-by-water-on-all-sides locations. As you have the Crookhaven river, Curleys Bay, Lake Woolumboola and a few different beachfronts straddling two headlands.

Last edited:

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

One of my favourite surfing memories was across the river mouth at Merimbula one summer afternoon with almost perfect waves all to myself for an hour or so until the hordes woke up to it. Dunno what it's like there now but Merimbula was a dream land a few decades ago, especially at easter with fewer people (still plenty though).

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You know this thread's jumped the shark when a Hungry Jacks is an iconic location. But I'll add one for the non-NSW people - the Blue Mountains, specifically Katoomba area..

Blue Mountains? That's your underrated iconic location? Highly praised, highly rated, World Heritage listed Blue Mountains? If you are going to be belligerent at least have a proper counter example.

Does it have a Hungry Jacks tho?

For a person who listed their 'pseudo' Tinder profile as disliking snobs mere days ago you sure show the classic signs. The topic title said 'iconic', not 'ironic'.

But if something like HJs is above you, good luck trying to land a husband.

Anyway, I'll make some clarification as to my original post. I'm talking about Australian places that aren't rated or even necessarily tourist destinations but well established and recognisable within that particular location and frequently visited. There maybe sneering at a Hungry Jacks but it was a very popular location situated in the central hub of South Australia on the main highway, where in two main directions you wouldn't find another drive through for over 1000 kms. It may not be a favourite place, or people stood in front of it for photos but it serviced the region and tourists as a frequent stop for over 30 years. Recently, the power station there also closed. It may not have been an iconic tourist destination, but it was a recognisable location that showed you are approaching Port Augusta. Same with the Port Pirie smelter over 100kms away.

Australian towns and cities always have there locations that are recognisable by the local population and visitors as their unique reference point. Again, maybe hideous to the landmark but also might be popular and iconic for the region, for better or worse. When they disappear, its very obvious to those who frequently visit.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reminds me of another one I was going to post. Merimbula.

View attachment 1064666
Saphire Coast is the bomb. My dream to move/retire there.
Qld like scenery, water freezing but nothing a wet suit can't fix.
World's best oysters fishing golf courses kite surfing, surfing ok but not brilliant.
Older population so singles might suffer but ideally I'd bring up a family there.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
While the Great Ocean Road is iconic the little bit before from Torquay running East back to Barwon Heads and the West opening of the bay is fantastic. Not the nature of the GOR but equally as nice beach as anywhere

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Theres a lookout somewhere between Ingham and Cardwell where you look out over Hinchenbrook island ,its stunning
I just randomly stopped there one day and thought its amazing something this spectacular is never talked about

iu

Back