Underrated Bands and Singers.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Should be much bigger than they are. Have put out some of the best rock songs (Berlin, spread your love etc) in the past 5-8 years but have never really got much attention. Absolutely amazing live as well!

Weapon Of Choice FTW.

NERDY

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Life of Leisure.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Rockets, Oregon Ducks, Inter.
The Music - if it wasn't for their stupid band name they'd have been huge. Had the one big hit in "The People" but really, they were more than just that.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
End of Fashion aren't my fav band but don't hear that much about them!!! Rough Diamonds is a sweet sweet song!!!!!

As for the Gomez discussion - I saw them at Spendour in the grass 2002 and they rocked the house down.

Hue_Jars

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2011
Only ya mum knows
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory,Heat,Wildcats,Warriors
End of Fashion aren't my fav band but don't hear that much about them!!! Rough Diamonds is a sweet sweet song!!!!!

As for the Gomez discussion - I saw them at Spendour in the grass 2002 and they rocked the house down.

I think End of Fashion are finished ???

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club derserve way more spotlight than they have ever got.

Gomez are great.

Two years ago I would of said Gotye deserved more praise....

The Verve are kind of forgotten, but I reckon they were more inspirational than radiohead have ever been.

Also, You Am I are probably the best Aussie thing since vegemite.

And Belle and Sebastian - that blues are still blue song is great

Underrated, for me, is a hard term to define because my first thought was of bands like Mastodon, however they are very highly regarded, its just that not a whole lot of people know of them.

Pelican is another terrific band that not many have heard of.

While i'm at it I think I might make a mention that System of a Downs lyrics are often overlooked. At least by people I know.

thurmanmunson

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Apr 25, 2010
Brooklyn
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees
1990s

Girls Against Boys

[youtube]s1YPAYDwrR0[/youtube]

Cows

[youtube]j3xrjdujMGs[/youtube]

His Hero Is Gone

[youtube]Z-svv4LbZ8c[/youtube]

Guzzard

[youtube]ERp_cBi82ik[/youtube]

boat13

Debutant
Feb 29, 2012
Kingsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In this country: Rush.

44 years together, 20 incredible albums, check out their list of accomplishments as a band:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_received_by_Rush

And yet, very few are familiar with them in Australia. They've never been here, never will come here. I've had to go to North America 3 times just to see them.

good call

moving pictures has to be in my top 10 of albums of all time

i think Opeth can be underated, may be due to the fact that death/progressive metal has never been mainstream

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dave McCormack is massively underrated in Australia, awesome live act, a lot of fun. I went to a uni gig of his about 5 years ago where there would have been less than 20 people. I doubt he's any more popular now, given that most people barely remember Custard these days.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Dave McCormack is massively underrated in Australia, awesome live act, a lot of fun. I went to a uni gig of his about 5 years ago where there would have been less than 20 people. I doubt he's any more popular now, given that most people barely remember Custard these days.

Custard were great and McCormack is a legend (well, by Aussie standards) - big Talking Heads fan, same as me, so I dig him a little more even.

I bust out some Custard stuff from time to time; whenever I hear of him these days he seems to have a different band each time !

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
LLoyd Cole would have to be one of the most underrated songwriters and musicians of all time.

He produced a string of pop gems with his band the Commotions in the 1980s with some of the best lyrics you will ever hear, absolute f***ing poetry.

"she's got cheekbones like geometry and eyes like sin and she's sexually enlightened by cosmopolitan"

Custard were great and McCormack is a legend (well, by Aussie standards) - big Talking Heads fan, same as me, so I dig him a little more even.

I bust out some Custard stuff from time to time; whenever I hear of him these days he seems to have a different band each time !
I've seen Dave McCormack live 4 times (essentially with a different band each time) and have never been disappointed.

Ball Hog

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Devin Townsend
Alter Bridge
Anathema
The Chariot
EDIT: Kansas

I've added Kansas as well. Their debut album is one of my favourite albums. Sure they had a couple mainstream hits that made them popular but very few would appreciate their progressive side. Songs like Apercu, Journey from Mariabronn, Song for America, Magnum Opus Belexes, The Pinnacle etc are all amazing.

Like Rush I think they were pretty influential to the progressive bands of today but don't receive nearly the recognition they deserve. Progressive music in general is HIGHLY underrated in my opinion. There are so many progressive rock/metal bands I could list here that I think deserve much more exposure!

As a singer I will add Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge and then add Alter Bridge as a band. It wasn't really until Myles started touring with Slash that people started getting into AB and as a long time fan, I think it's great. At the Alter Bridge Soundwave Sideshows in Sydney and Melbourne, there were a lot of people I heard saying that it wasn't until they heard Myles with Slash that they discovered Alter Bridge. They are starting to really catch on in Europe and America but aren't making a huge impact here yet.

I'd also add Daughtry to that list (singer and band).

Corey Taylor. He gets a lot of recognition in the Metal community for what he does with Slipknot but I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves for his singing in Stone Sour who are a very good band as well.

Back