Underrated Bands and Singers.

I think Alter Bridge is underrated in Australia. Great band who have put out three solid albums.

Also Blue Oyster Cult. I love their stuff but you never hear them up there with the other great bands of the 70's and 80's.

The Models. Especially their earlier 'new wave' stuff when they were more Sean Kelly's band.
On, Local and/or General, Happy Birthday IBM, Two Cabs To The Toucan are all classics.

Tame Impala, I know people rate them but they are quite easily the best Australian band in years.

It may just be the case that they're more respected off-shore than they are here.
I agree with you that they're currently the most refreshing and creative Australian band. (At least of the ones that I know)

Koala Man

Draftee
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Tame Impala, I know people rate them but they are quite easily the best Australian band in years.

Frank Ocean, the guy is a genius.
Frank Ocean best RnB album in a while maybe best album of the imo big positive response to it but not enough

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
Underrated singer: The tragic Eddie Hinton, session player and lead guitar slinger in Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section from 1967 to 1971. Wrote for Otis, Percy Sledge and others, whilst not the most technically gifted singers. you can hear the blood and tears. Should be a legend

Underrated band: nearly all my faves. Posted this on the best one album bands, but Yesterday's Children's eponymous debut in 1969, should really be considered a heavypsych classic

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
George Michael

Famous and everything, but I think he gets overlooked because of his wham bubblegum pop days, as well as his sexuality post-1998. Faith, Listen Without Prejudice & Older are up there among the very best opening 3 albums of an artist's career. Since then he has still put out a number of solid and sometimes cheeky songs, like Outside, Freeek!, Amazing, White Light, etc. Plus a number of outstanding duets, and amazing solo hits prior to Faith.

I feel that he tends to get written off as celebrity gossip mag fodder these days, instead of being recognised for his brilliant career.

Other artists that I feel deserve or deserved more praise and exposure;

Warpaint
Regurgitator (in terms of their legacy in the history of australian music, the diverse genres they tackled, and how ahead of the time they were)
Janelle Monae
A Tribe Called Quest

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Matt Berninger from the National. He's not a classic singer but the way he uses his baritone is just perfect.

Scott Hutchinson from Frightened Rabbit. Again, not the best singer but his voice sounds like it's going to break yet it just stays in key.

FlyingBurittoBro

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2011
Space
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
broncos
Underrated singer: The tragic Eddie Hinton, session player and lead guitar slinger in Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section from 1967 to 1971. Wrote for Otis, Percy Sledge and others, whilst not the most technically gifted singers. you can hear the blood and tears. Should be a legend

This song makes me very happy.:thumbsu:

theres a band emerging in canada called the sheepdogs, some of their stuff is pretty good

another one i can think of is Of Monsters And Men, they are starting to get some airtime in canada in particular. like their sound

Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
One band I'm following at the moment and am surprised haven't broken through, or even are available on iTunes here in Australia, is The Chevin. They're a young band from northern England with the one album of nice, clean melodies punctuated by Coyle Girelli's great vocals. Reminiscent of post-Britpop bands such as Travis, Coldplay and Keane. They're worth a listen to.

'Champion' which featured on FIFA13 and you may heard, and 'Blue Eyes' are the standouts.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Dandy Warhols seem underrated on Bigfooty, don't see them get much of a mention.

Fait No More, INterpol, Cold War Kids and Crowded House are others I don't see much of on here.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wild Nothing should be about five times bigger, too. Great songwriter, always changes it up, romantic lyricist...

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I always thought The Veils were quite underrated. Great song writing. Especially the album Sun Gangs.

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
broken social scene. people don't talk about 'you forgot it in people' with the other great albums of the early 2k's but i reckon it's as good as any. their whole discography is sweet and they kept updating over those albums. cool band, rly cool band.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
A band hardly anyone ever talks about is Scala. Around the time Seefeel initially broke up, most of its members had another act going at the time called Scala. Always especially enjoyed their album Compass Heart.

I don't listen to much music that's rated by anyone, but one band that really need recognition is New Gods. They're a bit of a super group, with members from Little Red, Eagle And The Worm, Ground Components and a million different side projects.

I rate them as the best song writers in Australia at the moment, and their recordings hold up. They're also incredibly versatile, and have a whole set of Random Access Memories-like dance songs to go with the emotionally charged alternative stuff from their album.

They're incredibly good live. I just wish that there were more people at their gigs.

This is from their album, from last year:

And this is from their EP, from 2012:

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants

His name is bigger now than when he was alive, but I'm still of the belief that Townes is criminally underrated.

Superstructure is easily one of the greatest Australian Stoner/Hard Rock albums getting around. Deserves far more love.

Mates from my neck of the woods... They should be huge. Crazy talented.

Back