Underrated Bands and Singers.

Remove this Banner Ad

I only own their first 5 albums (their heyday really), but very much love them too. One of my favourite acts from the 80s, so many classic tracks and renditions. They developed a lot over that period as well, without losing their central essence and ethos.

Last edited:
I only own their first 5 albums (their heyday really), but very much love them too. One of my favourite acts from the 80s, so many classic tracks and renditions. They developed a lot over that period as well, without losing their central essence and ethos.

They are one of those truly remarkable groups that both capture their own era and are timeless. I tend to binge on them for a week and then leave them alone for a few months before coming back pleasantly surprised.

Cuts down my whisky intake as well!

They are one of those truly remarkable groups that both capture their own era and are timeless. I tend to binge on them for a week and then leave them alone for a few months before coming back pleasantly surprised.

Me too, very much a binge band (in fact, it seems to be the case for most acts which I particularly appreciate for their lyrics).

What! Only the first Five? Shane wasn't even on the sixth.

The first three are the only ones worth remembering.

Reckon Drive By Truckers are underrate a bit.

"Cottonseed" could pass as a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Great band. Jason Isbell's solo work has certainly been given massive acclaim. When he was with the band, to have 3 songwriters of that quality is incredible.

I had my binge last week. Listened to them for 2 days straight at work. When I listen to them at home, the Jameson does get a work out !

Whilst they are certainly the golden period, the albums that made a splash, Peace and Love still has great moments, and Hell's Ditch is okay too.
True. Maybe I exaggerated and those two albums are ok and would sit nicely among other Celtic music made, I just can't compare them to the other early Pogues stuff.

I think you can still maybe get a little CD box set with their first five albums for around twenty dollars which is pretty good for basically the full collection.

True. Maybe I exaggerated and those two albums are ok and would sit nicely among other Celtic music made, I just can't compare them to the other early Pogues stuff.

I think you can still maybe get a little CD box set with their first five albums for around twenty dollars which is pretty good for basically the full collection.
I love Irish Literature, Music, Culture, everything, and so even some of the lesser Pogues albums have their interest for me. They don't compare all that well to the first three albums (which is essentially 80s pop culture Pogues, particularly their 2nd & 3rd albums), but they are both around the 3.5 mark on RYM, so not complete stinkers. Shane was losing it around that point, but there is still some brilliance and musical evolution in those albums (if less renditions of classics).

That's actually what I have (good value release, I remember doing the same with Echo & the Bunnymen at one point as well). I think there is also a Warners release with just the first 3 albums kicking around as well. Some of the tracklists are different to the original LP release, but I think they were intended that way initially anyway, and I don't mind the additions.

I had my binge last week. Listened to them for 2 days straight at work. When I listen to them at home, the Jameson does get a work out !
Very much a mood and binge band aren't they. In the right frame of mind, Rum, Sodomy & the Lash really floors me.

I actually haven't had a drink for several years now, so they still also work really well out of that context.

Very much a mood and binge band aren't they. In the right frame of mind, Rum, Sodomy & the Lash really floors me.

I actually haven't had a drink for several years now, so they still also work really well out of that context.
I have two of the box sets. Tom Waits and Echo and the Bunnymen, and agree, great value, well made package.

As for the above post I'm in the same position were I listen The Pogues in cycles and it works nicely. An issue I seem to have is ideally I see myself as a complete non drinker and I have worked it down to just a nice beer occasionally but the fear I have is the music I used to like doesn't sound the same. Transitional period I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have two of the box sets. Tom Waits and Echo and the Bunnymen, and agree, great value, well made package.

As for the above post I'm in the same position were I listen The Pogues in cycles and it works nicely. An issue I seem to have is ideally I see myself as a complete non drinker and I have worked it down to just a nice beer occasionally but the fear I have is the music I used to like doesn't sound the same. Transitional period I suppose.
Yeah I can relate to that. I remember I used to always throw on an album whilst making dinner, occasionally with a glass of wine or spirits. It took a little adjusting with certain types of music, particularly Jazz. Used to love summer evenings with jazz, book and a drink.
But I barely even remember what it's like to have a drink now, and I still love a lot of the music I used to. Like many things, I guess we can tend to rely on a substance like alcohol for a particular experience, when really its not needed.

Yeah I can relate to that. I remember I used to always throw on an album whilst making dinner, occasionally with a glass of wine or spirits. It took a little adjusting with certain types of music, particularly Jazz. Used to love summer evenings with jazz, book and a drink.
But I barely even remember what it's like to have a drink now, and I still love a lot of the music I used to. Like many things, I guess we can tend to rely on a substance like alcohol for a particular experience, when really its not needed.
I genuinely take inspiration from that.

Being into metal, my list could go on and on. Very few metal bands (from any metal genre) are rated by anyone outside the genre and generally little attention is paid to the song/songwriters.

Crashdiet
5FDP
Stone Sour
Death Angel
GodSmack
Fozzy
Ill Nino
Wednesday 13
and so on.....

Being into metal, my list could go on and on. Very few metal bands (from any metal genre) are rated by anyone outside the genre and generally little attention is paid to the song/songwriters.

Crashdiet
5FDP
Stone Sour
Death Angel
GodSmack
Fozzy
Ill Nino
Wednesday 13
and so on.....

I like metal, but those bands are garbage.

Few British ones mainly discovered by John Peel.

'Serious Drinking'. A band of students from Norwich who put out a football./drinking themed album 'The revelution starts at closing time'. Get together at the odd major football tournament when England play. All probably professors or stay at home Dads or something.

In the same ball park. 'Half man Half biscuit'. A band from near Liverpool who love football and taking the piss out of the keeping up with the Joneses part of society with some great wit.

And more.

Few British ones mainly discovered by John Peel.

Sarandon. Short sharp indie from a three piece who (I think) gave up doing it was a full time concern and are teachers in between tours. Their album 'Age of Reason' is really great from around 2009.

Attila the Stockbroker. Punk poet around for 30 years now. Topical song now really. was originally written following the Lockerbie bombing and the anti Muslim sentiment that swept the UK in the aftermath.

Strictly Rhythm as a label should still have at least one record spun at every club in the world per week. Amazing stuff, sounds just like the 90s in England (I guess).

Chuck this on the next time you're having beers and your mates don't want to head out. They should after this mix finishes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back