Underrated Bands and Singers.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Always a step up on their contemporaries in my opinion was Cut Off Your Hands from NZ as far as Indie/pop/post punk. Along with Die! Die! Die!. Good stuff.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Always a step up on their contemporaries in my opinion was Cut Off Your Hands from NZ as far as Indie/pop/post punk. Along with Die! Die! Die!. Good stuff.

Die!Die!Die! were fantastic for a while, especially live. Their last few releases have been a bit painting by numbers though.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Not band or singer. But although in the public eye I think that Glenn Gould is very much underrated for how much he did as a pianist.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Paolo Nutini.

He's huge in the UK, and charts well here too (although I've never heard any of his songs on the radio, and never met anyone else who even seems to know who he is), but he should be the big male solo artist in the world right now. I really think in 30 years time he could be held up there with Van Morrison and Tom Jones as one the greatest male soul voices of the UK.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, very difficult word.

Obviously most artists belonging to a more specific genre are often only known by fans of that specific genre. Hard to say a deathmetal band is underrated by people who don't even know that something like that exists. Think it can only be used within a specific audience. But today most bands are rated pretty accuratly by people into that genre I'd say because the internet offers a good overview. Find it very difficult to actually name a band that I consider underrated when I give it a decent thought even when I use the term sometimes for artist I like more then most of the general puplic.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I was just thinking this week that Rowland is my go to whenever wanting a good listen for around 10 years. Whether it be The Birthday Party, Crime and the City Solution, These Immortal Souls , or any solo work he was something special.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
The documentary on Rowland is great viewing. For a guy, that was often dark and morose, he could be very witty and funny. There's a great quote which I'm paraphrasing where he notes that the Birthday Party had the plug pulled on them at CBGBs but they were able to play to a bunch of drunken yobbos at RSL clubs and get through the set. He noted Australia was more progressive than we realised. Great talent.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Don't mind Filter either. Their biggest hit Take a Picture would be among my dozen most listened to songs on itunes.

I remember really liking them around that 'Title of Record' era (Triple J used to give that kind of thing, along with NIN and a lot of other similar stuff, a fair bit of airplay), and then forgetting about them for a good decade, before randomly recalling "Hey Man, Nice Shot" and starting to listen to them occassionally again.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Hold Steady and Ben Folds.

Otis Redding unwittingly punched a hole in the careers of two great singers- William Bell, who probably would have been No.1 at Stax if he hadn't been called up for military service, during which time Otis exploded on the scene, and Johnnie Taylor (who replaced the legendary Sam Cooke as leader of the Soul Stirrers), whose recordings were released as Stax was winding down. Bell and Taylor are both terrific singers who remain largely unheralded.

Also, there was a band around in the 80's - the Plimsouls. Huge on the US college circuit, but virtually unknown elsewhere. Some of the best proto-grunge guitar pop around.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would have thought both are quite rated. I'd say The hold Steady too much. Craig Finns voice is so annoying IMO.

I don't know anyone who knows The Hold Stead and very few who know Ben Folds. Perhaps that's more of a reflection of rural Tassie though.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't know anyone who knows The Hold Stead and very few who know Ben Folds. Perhaps that's more of a reflection of rural Tassie though.
What! Ben Folds was so revered here that he moved to live in Adelaide and I admit he is much more well known The Hold Steady, but still even someone with a moderate interest in music should know Chips Ahoy!.

Back