Underrated Bands and Singers.

What! Ben Folds was so revered here that he moved to live in Adelaide and I admit he is much more well known The Hold Steady, but still even someone with a moderate interest in music should know Chips Ahoy!.

Revered?

He met and fell in love with a chick from Adelaide that's how he came to be here.

They broke up and he ****ed back off to the states.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Revered?

He met and fell in love with a chick from Adelaide that's how he came to be here.

They broke up and he ****ed back off to the states.
Well then he was clearly revered by the Adelaide women....:p

Nah, I don't know. I knew he had a song called Adelaide and thought he had a really good following here.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Well then he was clearly revered by the Adelaide women....:p

Nah, I don't know. I knew he had a song called Adelaide and thought he had a really good following here.

I've literally not heard a thing about him, his music, him being in Adelaide or anyone here liking him since "Rockin' the Suburbs".

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kylesa are another worth checking out if you're into stoner/sludge metal. Unspoken is a good place to start. Listen to it loud.
Always meant to check out some of their other stuff, because Spiral Shadow was a cracker of an album. Thanks for the reminder I'll have to dig that one out.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon the 1990s Australian band Sea Stories are criminally under-rated/unknown. Their 1991 album Wide Eyed and Dreaming is up there with my favourite albums of all time. If there was some sort of Australian equivalent to the Americana genre (Wilco etc), I reckon they would be the template.

rodney hoo

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was a Dutch band in the seventies call Focus that toured Aus , great rock band had a hit called hocus pocus. Had nothing going on & went down to see them unbelievable show, one of the best ever. Never heard of them after. Any one has not heard it find it have a listen great stuff.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Otis Redding unwittingly punched a hole in the careers of two great singers- William Bell, who probably would have been No.1 at Stax if he hadn't been called up for military service, during which time Otis exploded on the scene, and Johnnie Taylor (who replaced the legendary Sam Cooke as leader of the Soul Stirrers), whose recordings were released as Stax was winding down. Bell and Taylor are both terrific singers who remain largely unheralded.

Also, there was a band around in the 80's - the Plimsouls. Huge on the US college circuit, but virtually unknown elsewhere. Some of the best proto-grunge guitar pop around.

William Bell and Judy Clay's Private Number is literally one of the best singles ever recorded. 2 minuntes 33 seconds of perfection.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
There was a Dutch band in the seventies call Focus that toured Aus , great rock band had a hit called hocus pocus. Had nothing going on & went down to see them unbelievable show, one of the best ever. Never heard of them after. Any one has not heard it find it have a listen great stuff.

They were pretty popular in the UK at the time. Their other big hit was 'Sylvia'.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Pastels

The Radio Dept

Rejjie Snow

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. Second and third albums just good, but the first LP is a gem that was never going to be massive but always feels under-appreciated. Some pretty earnest, open lyrics about going through diaries and stressing out

Nick from Sunbeam Sound Machine (getting some Triple J love lately, just put out his first album, supported Cults and the Drums) had this band before he decided he liked spacier sounds. These dudes loved their four-to-the-floor and some pretty quick, layered, hi-hat heavy drums – which are obviously the best drums there are. One of my mates is friends with the lead singer and used to go on so much about these guys, I remember they broke up and put every one of their recordings out, and it was all I listened to for a month in first year uni. It's so spacious and emotive and true, it sounds like Melbourne in all the ways I used to think it sounded. I don't do comparisons, not for footballers and not for bands, but these dudes should've ridden the coattails of Foals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzv86KaoTzw

Xiu Xiu; pretty hard listening to a whole album because it's just so bleak and abrasive, some of the imagery is just shock-level s**t devoid of much actual worth, but every so often they make a really, really, really good songs with that their sound of theirs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKGR8Er4vM

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
The Pastels

The Radio Dept

Rejjie Snow

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. Second and third albums just good, but the first LP is a gem that was never going to be massive but always feels under-appreciated. Some pretty earnest, open lyrics about going through diaries and stressing out

Nick from Sunbeam Sound Machine (getting some Triple J love lately, just put out his first album, supported Cults and the Drums) had this band before he decided he liked spacier sounds. These dudes loved their four-to-the-floor and some pretty quick, layered, hi-hat heavy drums – which are obviously the best drums there are. One of my mates is friends with the lead singer and used to go on so much about these guys, I remember they broke up and put every one of their recordings out, and it was all I listened to for a month in first year uni. It's so spacious and emotive and true, it sounds like Melbourne in all the ways I used to think it sounded. I don't do comparisons, not for footballers and not for bands, but these dudes should've ridden the coattails of Foals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzv86KaoTzw

Xiu Xiu; pretty hard listening to a whole album because it's just so bleak and abrasive, some of the imagery is just shock-level s**t devoid of much actual worth, but every so often they make a really, really, really good songs with that their sound of theirs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKGR8Er4vM

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. :thumbsu:

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Appreciated in certain circles. But more applaud should be given to Karlheinz Stockhausen. He made amazing pieces of music in my opinion.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
8594a427.jpg

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Field Mice. They got a bit of attention due to John Peel. But deserved more IMO.
Ah great call! Beautiful little band. There's a gulf between Emma's House and When Morning Comes to Town and the rest of their stuff, but they were such a nice band who hit a pretty specific feeling very accurately. They had a project, the guy and the girl, afterwards called Northern Picture Library. Their best song is so good

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Ah great call! Beautiful little band. There's a gulf between Emma's House and When Morning Comes to Town and the rest of their stuff, but they were such a nice band who hit a pretty specific feeling very accurately. They had a project, the guy and the girl, afterwards called Northern Picture Library. Their best song is so good

I actually discovered The Field Mice because of Northern Picture Library. So true about that song.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Chapel Club. On first listen the sound could be described as run of the mill Smiths loving indie rock. But Lewis Bowman had a way with words and they came through in the vocals.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I was just about to, that's why I remembered them. Is it really bad?

It's very different to the first. Like an ultra-bland Friendly Fires.

The change was led by the lead singer. In response to criticism, he came out and said their first album wasn't really "them" and was just them playing something to get their foot in the door and gain an audience. Kind of ridiculed people for liking their debut, too. Seemed like a deflection to me though. I think he should have just released the second album as a solo side project, rather than ruining the band (they broke up pretty much immediately after the second release bombed, and Bowman went solo right away).

So many great tracks on that first album, though:

Last edited:
Back