Underrated Bands and Singers.

Remove this Banner Ad

International ;

Rush - Brilliant studio albums and live show.
X-Japan - To quote Gene Simmons "If these guys were born and raised in the USA, they would be the biggest band in the world".

Aussie ;

Kings of the Sun - Best Aussie live band I've ever seen. Shame they didn't go on to bigger things.
Baby Animals - Never understood why they never became bigger.

Los Lobos. They seem to only be remembered for the La Bamba soundtrack, which was brilliant but they are still going strong after 40 years. Their reputation as a live band is immense. David Hidalgo is an incredible guitarist. They are all amazing musicians. Keep releasing new stuff that is always eclectic in style. Never rested on their laurels.

They have won several Grammys so not totally under rated but they are the best rock and roll band in the world and not generally recognized beyond an album of covers from decades ago.

Number 1 band that I have never seen to go and see.

Los Lobos. They seem to only be remembered for the La Bamba soundtrack, which was brilliant but they are still going strong after 40 years. Their reputation as a live band is immense. David Hidalgo is an incredible guitarist. They are all amazing musicians. Keep releasing new stuff that is always eclectic in style. Never rested on their laurels.

They have won several Grammys so not totally under rated but they are the best rock and roll band in the world and not generally recognized beyond an album of covers from decades ago.

Number 1 band that I have never seen to go and see.

Love their work with Robert Rodriguez soundtracks!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love their work with Robert Rodriguez soundtracks!!!!!

Another group Rodriguez (in Desperado and in From Dusk to Dawn) used is Tito & Tarantula. In fact, Tito was one of the villains fighting El Mariachi.

Trying not to just include contemporary bands I really love but are not very well known - like King Buffalo, Elder, Clutch etc - bands that have stood the test of time for me but have been missed by the vast majority of those who generally indulge in quality rock music.

Sugar - at times brutal, at other times sublimely and supremely melodic, Bob Mould's relatively brief stint with Sugar continues to be in my go-to set of records nearly 30 years later. Copper Blue in particular is rock genius, and got some love on its release, but there's plenty more to Sugar than just that record.
Brad - after loving Shame and Interiors back in the 1990's, I've recently rediscovered this band - which was essentially a side project of Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) and Shawn Smith (Satchel) - thanks to their more recent material being on Spotify. Unfortunately the death of Smith in 2019 means there'll be no more of his incredible vocals, but he's certainly left some brilliance for us as his legacy.
New Christs - Rob Younger will be forever remembered primarily as the lead vocalist of Radio Birdman - and I remain totally in awe of that outfit - but to me the body of work he has compiled with the New Christs over the last 35 years has now superceded even Birdman's legacy.
Porcupine Tree - not for everybody, especially those who have an aversion to Prog, but the huge mountain of quality releases by PT over their 25-ish years in existence lacks wider appreciation. Currently back touring in the northern hemisphere, don't think they'll make it down this way though unfortunately. Start with the live version of "Anaesthetize" on Youtube if you're looking for an easily accessible gateway ... and you've got 17 minutes up your sleeve.
Screaming Trees - Very much in the shadow of the popularity of other massive Seattle acts of the late-80's/early 90's like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc, but the Trees released a series of phenomenal records. Lanegan's vocals are whiskey drenched in honey, the powerfully swirling riffs of the Connor brothers combined with incredible songwriting making the Trees an enduring and broad part of my present day playlists.

Last edited:
Trying not to just include contemporary bands I really love but are not very well known - like King Buffalo, Elder, Clutch etc - bands that have stood the test of time for me but have been missed by the vast majority of those who generally indulge in quality rock music.

Sugar - at times brutal, at other times sublimely and supremely melodic, Bob Mould's relatively brief stint with Sugar continues to be in my go-to set of records nearly 30 years later. Copper Blue in particular is rock genius, and got some love on its release, but there's plenty more to Sugar than just that record.
Brad - after loving Shame and Interiors back in the 1990's, I've recently rediscovered this band - which was essentially a side project of Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) and Shawn Smith (Satchel) - thanks to their more recent material being on Spotify. Unfortunately the death of Smith in 2019 means there'll be no more of his incredible vocals, but he's certainly left some brilliance for us as his legacy.
New Christs - Rob Younger will be forever remembered primarily as the lead vocalist of Radio Birdman - and I remain totally in awe of that outfit - but to me the body of work he has compiled with the New Christs over the last 35 years has now superceded even Birdman's legacy.
Porcupine Tree - not for everybody, especially those who have an aversion to Prog, but the huge mountain of quality releases by PT over their 25-ish years in existence lacks wider appreciation. Currently back touring in the northern hemisphere, don't think they'll make it down this way though unfortunately. Start with the live version of "Anaesthetize" on Youtube if you're looking for an easily accessible gateway ... and you've got 17 minutes up your sleeve.
Screaming Trees - Very much in the shadow of the popularity of other massive Seattle acts of the late-80's/early 90's like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc, but the Trees released a series of phenomenal records. Lanegan's vocals are whiskey drenched in honey, the powerfully swirling riffs of the Connor brothers combined with incredible songwriting making the Trees an enduring and broad part of my present day playlists.
Lift by Brad is a cracker of a song

For those that dig Stoner/Psychadelic/Drone/Space Rock/Desert Rock and their associated subgenres of metal and rock: Black Sky Giant

Their latest is my AOTY so far. Shame they don't release their material in hard copy.

For those that dig Stoner/Psychadelic/Drone/Space Rock/Desert Rock and their associated subgenres of metal and rock: Black Sky Giant

Their latest is my AOTY so far. Shame they don't release their material in hard copy.
That's absolutely me to the core. I've got King Buffalo "Regenerator" as my AOTY, but will definitely give Black Sky Giant a good spin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back