Movies & TV Underrated/Overrated Films

Remove this Banner Ad

Still haven't seen Sorcerer but Clouzot's original is the business.

Although my favourite Clouzot so far is The Murderer Lives at No. 21.
I'm partial to Diabolique but I suppose that would be the popular choice in general. Can't go wrong with The Murderer Lives at No. 21 or Wages of Fear though, both are excellent films.

There's a lot of naming of mildly-obscure films going on here, and while I could do that, it's not what underrated means to me. Underrated means a film that offers more than most give it credit it for.

With that in mind, I'm going out on a limb: Licence to Kill is not just a legitimately good film, but one of the better Bond instalments.

Two Hands. Possibly my favourite Aussie film along with The Big Steal.

Two Hands is a genuinely good film. Surprising it hasn't got more of a cult following since the death of Ledger either.

Edit: And it was the first time most had seen the lovely Rose Byrne on our screens. Like Britney, I don't think her first showing has ever been bettered!

Last edited:
In a similar sense. Critically acclaimed but don't think I know anyone who watched it: Nightcrawler.

He was creepy as ****.
Yeah I saw that and yes he was. He's actually a pretty good actor for the most part. So is his sister for that matter.

There was that other movie where he was a soldier and couldn't remember stuff or something. His day kept resetting. Was a bit like Memento. Can't remember it in too much detail but that wasn't too bad either.

Yeah I saw that and yes he was. He's actually a pretty good actor for the most part. So is his sister for that matter.

There was that other movie where he was a soldier and couldn't remember stuff or something. His day kept resetting. Was a bit like Memento. Can't remember it in too much detail but that wasn't too bad either.
That sounds like the plot of Edge of Tomorrow which was Tom Cruise.

Bloody Hollywood.

And it predates Edge of Tomorrow and is much better for my money.

Was directed by Bowie's lad, whose latest film is the universally panned Warcraft.

Primal Fear is underrated I reckon.

Very much so. Superb film really with a great cast, a mysteriously great Gere performance, and a really brilliant ending.

In a similar tonal vein, and with another great ending from around the same time: A Civil Action.

Okay I'll bite. Why?

Because Dalton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot of naming of mildly-obscure films going on here, and while I could do that, it's not what underrated means to me. Underrated means a film that offers more than most give it credit it for.

I agree, i dont think what i mentioned really meet that standard.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, Last Action Hero is underrated... i remember avoiding it because reviews where not good, but when i watched it a few years later i really enjoyed it...

Seemed a common theme for many...
This retro review is interesting...

Just found this thread. I have turned to foreign film to feed my appetite.

A couple of good ones that spring to mind that I have watched recently and would recommend:

The Baader Meinhof Complex (German)
City of Lost Children/ Mic Macs/ Delicatessen (Jeunet- French)

A couple of good ones that spring to mind that I have watched recently and would recommend:

Love Delicatessan! You might like Jaques Tati films - Jour De Fete, Trafic, Mon Oncle. Classics.

Love Delicatessan! You might like Jaques Tati films - Jour De Fete, Trafic, Mon Oncle. Classics.
I have seen at least one, that I can remember, Mon Oncle. A very long time ago as my old man loved Jaques Tati. Pretty similar to the Party with Peter Sellers if I remember correctly.

I have seen at least one, that I can remember, Mon Oncle. A very long time ago as my old man loved Jaques Tati. Pretty similar to the Party with Peter Sellers if I remember correctly.
Yes! With less words though. It's been a long time since I've seen them, but certain scenes stick in your mind for classic humour.

I like it when Monsieur Hulot was going for a job and got white paint on his shoes, in trying to fix it he managed to put footprints all over the desk and chair, making it look like he'd been clambering over the interviewer's desk. A little Buster Keaton like too perhaps?

I was forced to watch it in French class but it turned out to be pretty funny.

The Party was also a classic.

Have heard good things about this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back