Underrated footballers

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure people don't understand the concept of underrated/overrated. For us I'd say Dinho is underrated. Silva has been during his time with us but not so much now. Hart probably underrated as well.
I don't think you understand the concept of it either tbh

You just named David Silva, one of the most obvious choices for BPL stars for the last few years, and Joe Hart, who is closer to overrated than underrated.
Silva has made the premier league team of the year once. Two times less than Hazard, and the same as the likes of Kyle Walker, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Scott Parker etc. Never finished anywhere near player of the year (Scott Parker twice), maybe I just overrate him.

Personally think he's one of the best midfielders England has seen, certainly since the early 90's when I started watching.

Hart doesnt seem rated by many, despite his 4 (maybe 5 this season if he gets a move on) golden gloves and a string of outstanding performances in league winning seasons and particularly the champions league. Maybe I overrate him as well.

For me, he's right up there in the group behind Neuer.

Last edited:
Parker had an exceptional season whilst at West Ham I recall. His first season with us he was very good (11/12) not sure if that's the other one he was in the team of the year - perhaps slightly fortuitous on that occasion. Not the season with West Ham though

Hard to compare an AM/CM making the team of the year the same amount of times as a RB. The levels of competition for his place is far greater.

No idea how Milner ever made a TOTY bench spot? Or English bias? Parker and Lallana both had fantastic seasons so could see why they'd make it.

Silva is also (rightly or wrongly) effected in those season awards type things because he regularly has missed chunks of the season. He would have missed 6+ matches in each of the past 4 seasons and even when making comebacks from injury it's hard for him to always get back to top form. Every season his best football is the best of all the creative midfielders no doubt about that but I think the guys who pick those sides go for sheer quantity of good performances over his brilliance

Edin Dzeko.

There are surely few players more underrated than this guy.

Scores goals wherever he goes, but always seems to fly under the radar.

- Top scorer in the Bundesliga and Serie A, seven seasons apart;
- 50 Premier League goals for Man City, while ranking in the top 10 in minutes per goal in the Premier League all time;
- First striker to ever score 50 goals in three of Europe's top five divisions;
- Bosnia and Herzegovina's all-time leading scorer;

Not the most elegant or brilliant to watch player going around, but the guy consistently gets the job done.

Silva has made the premier league team of the year once. Two times less than Hazard, and the same as the likes of Kyle Walker, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Scott Parker etc. Never finished anywhere near player of the year (Scott Parker twice), maybe I just overrate him.

Personally think he's one of the best midfielders England has seen, certainly since the early 90's when I started watching.

Hart doesnt seem rated by many, despite his 4 (maybe 5 this season if he gets a move on) golden gloves and a string of outstanding performances in league winning seasons and particularly the champions league. Maybe I overrate him as well.

For me, he's right up there in the group behind Neuer.

Only just noticed this with the thread bump. Hart's career went on a downward spiral since your post!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how players that play for their national teams (unless a small obscure country) can really be underrated.....
Any player can be under/over rated. It doesn't measure ability but merely the difference between accepted perception compared to ability.
Even Messi could be underrated if his perceived standing in the game changes.

Being in a national team of a major nation doesn't disqualify players from being underrated.

Had a great career despite the past few years.

Did he really? Was bought pre oil money. Was solid enough with a great squad around him. I find it hard to believe he would have been purchased post oil money coming into the club. Being found out at West Ham now when he really should be at the peak of his career.

Did he really? Was bought pre oil money. Was solid enough with a great squad around him. I find it hard to believe he would have been purchased post oil money coming into the club. Being found out at West Ham now when he really should be at the peak of his career.
woah woah woah. Don't put West Ham in the argument.
Look at the s**t he has in front of him, it'd be soul destroying knowing the shitcampaigners in front of you are not stopping the ball :D

Who spotted Moomba’s Walker diss? Should imagine he’s changed his tune now
Yes and no.

He's had a good season so far, and he fits in well with our style of play. But he still frustrates me with his ability to do something utterly stupid and unexplainable on a fairly regular basis.

Which was my main criticism of him at the very start.

He was bought by and debuted under Stuart Pearce.

But I"m not sure what that has to do with anything tbh.

Only just noticed this with the thread bump. Hart's career went on a downward spiral since your post!!!

What about this one on the first page then?

I have to say Lovren who had been written off even by LFC fans. He's been absolute quality for us in the last couple of months.

2 premier league titles, 3 cups, 4 golden gloves and 2x toty appearances, along with 75 england caps, and captaining his club and country at times. i can think of worse careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back